* Re: Updated: xorg-server-1.9.2-1
@ 2010-11-08 11:51 Fergus
From: Fergus @ 2010-11-08 11:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin ML X; +Cc: Fergus

Dear Jon,

Since the update I have been unable to start XWin under [1.7].
Following my usual sequence at a bash prompt:

mount n:/tmp /tmp # drive n: is NTFS as required
run XWin -multiwindow &

Normally these two would be followed by a command line for xterm, but I
am not getting that far! The second line repeatedly generates a Cygwin/X
error message box, where the reason given is very familiar:

Can't read lock file /tmp/.X0-lock

I used to get this when /tmp was FAT32 but as you see from line 1 I am
making an explicit mount to a NTFS drive, and in the recent past this
step has been all that is necessary to make progress. When I open
/var/log/xwin/XWin.0.log for more information I read

~> cat /var/log/xwin/XWin.0.log
Welcome to the XWin X Server
Vendor: The Cygwin/X Project
Release: 1.9.2.0 (10902000)
Build Date: 2010-11-03

XWin was started with the following command line:

/usr/bin/XWin -multiwindow

ddxProcessArgument - Initializing default screens
winInitializeScreenDefaults - primary monitor w 1280 h 1024
winInitializeDefaultScreens - native DPI x 96 y 96
_XSERVTransSocketOpenCOTSServer: Unable to open socket for inet6
_XSERVTransOpen: transport open failed for inet6/mandible:0
_XSERVTransMakeAllCOTSServerListeners: failed to open listener for inet6

Fatal server error:
Can't read lock file /tmp/.X0-lock

[1]+  Done                    run XWin -multiwindow

Can anything be determined from the 3 lines in this file beginning
_XSERV ("Unable" .. "failed" .. "failed")? Do I need to change my
command sequence?

BTW it's interesting (is it?) that the error message refers to 1.9.2.0
not 1.9.2-1.

I'm surprised that there are no other anguished reports to you following
the update, but I guess that's because the fault/ problem/ difficulty is
mine rather than general. ?? Any insights much appreciated.

Thank you,

Fergus

PS It kills me not to copy this to cygwin at cygwin dot com which I feel
will have a much wider readership and skill set amongst that readership,
but anybody sinning in this regard is always referred straight to
Cygwin-X. A strange separation of reporting. Not that I am doubting your
specific capability, just the potential for "Me Too" amongst readers.
(Or even "Not Me, but I Know What's Going Wrong".)

* Re: Updated: xorg-server-1.9.2-1
@ 2010-11-08 14:06 ` Jon TURNEY
From: Jon TURNEY @ 2010-11-08 14:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree; +Cc: fergus

On 08/11/2010 11:48, Fergus wrote:
> Since the update I have been unable to start XWin under [1.7].
> Following my usual sequence at a bash prompt:
>
> mount n:/tmp /tmp # drive n: is NTFS as required
> run XWin -multiwindow &
>
> Normally these two would be followed by a command line for xterm, but I am not
> getting that far! The second line repeatedly generates a Cygwin/X error
> message box, where the reason given is very familiar:
>
> Can't read lock file /tmp/.X0-lock
>
> I used to get this when /tmp was FAT32 but as you see from line 1 I am making
> an explicit mount to a NTFS drive, and in the recent past this step has been
> all that is necessary to make progress. When I open /var/log/xwin/XWin.0.log
> for more information I read
>
> ~> cat /var/log/xwin/XWin.0.log
> Welcome to the XWin X Server
> Vendor: The Cygwin/X Project
> Release: 1.9.2.0 (10902000)
> Build Date: 2010-11-03
>
> XWin was started with the following command line:
>
> /usr/bin/XWin -multiwindow
>
> ddxProcessArgument - Initializing default screens
> winInitializeScreenDefaults - primary monitor w 1280 h 1024
> winInitializeDefaultScreens - native DPI x 96 y 96
> _XSERVTransSocketOpenCOTSServer: Unable to open socket for inet6
> _XSERVTransOpen: transport open failed for inet6/mandible:0
> _XSERVTransMakeAllCOTSServerListeners: failed to open listener for inet6
>
> Fatal server error:
> Can't read lock file /tmp/.X0-lock

I don't think there have been any significant changes in the lockfile code
since the previous version, so this is mysterious.

Does /tmp/.X0-lock exists? Is it readable by you? ('ls -al /tmp/.X0-lock' )

Are you sure /tmp is getting mounted successfully where you expect it to be?

Have you tried '-nolock', as suggested by [1]

> Can anything be determined from the 3 lines in this file beginning _XSERV
> ("Unable" .. "failed" .. "failed")? Do I need to change my command sequence?

The lines about inet6 are expected if you don't have IPv6 installed.  If they
have just started appearing with 1.9.2, that would be odd.

> BTW it's interesting (is it?) that the error message refers to 1.9.2.0 not
> 1.9.2-1.

XWin only reports the upstream version (1.9.2.0), not our packaging version
(the -1), for various uninteresting reasons.

> I'm surprised that there are no other anguished reports to you following the
> update, but I guess that's because the fault/ problem/ difficulty is mine
> rather than general. ?? Any insights much appreciated.

Either that or you are the only person who uses XWin :-) I never hear from
anyone saying it just works fine, so I assume they don't exist :-)

[1] http://x.cygwin.com/docs/faq/cygwin-x-faq.html#q-cant-read-lock-file

--
Jon TURNEY
Volunteer Cygwin/X X Server maintainer

* Re: Updated: xorg-server-1.9.2-1
@ 2010-11-08 17:34 ` Larry Hall (Cygwin X)
From: Larry Hall (Cygwin X) @ 2010-11-08 17:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

On 11/8/2010 6:48 AM, Fergus wrote:
> PS It kills me not to copy this to cygwin at cygwin dot com which I feel will
> have a much wider readership and skill set amongst that readership, but
> anybody sinning in this regard is always referred straight to Cygwin-X.

Because this is where those interested in Cygwin-X will be "hanging out"
and looking for answers.  For issues that are clearly X-related (or suspected
to be so), it makes sense to query the list that supports that functionality,
even if the readership is smaller than the main list.  From the perspective
of those with a problem, I would think there would be a preference for
quality (of responses from this list) vs quantity (of eyes on some other
list).  And I'm sure those on the main list who aren't interested in X
issues much prefer the lack of X traffic (and vice-versa).  If you look in
the email archives for discussions about merging the lists, you'll see these
two points were well represented in the feedback, if my memory serves.

Holliston, MA 01746

* Re: Updated: xorg-server-1.9.2-1
@ 2010-11-09  9:12   ` Fergus
From: Fergus @ 2010-11-09  9:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree; +Cc: Fergus

 >> Fatal server error:
 >> Can't read lock file /tmp/.X0-lock

 > Does /tmp/.X0-lock exists? Is it readable by you?

Yes.

 > Are you sure /tmp is getting mounted successfully
 > where you expect it to be?

Yes.

 > Have you tried '-nolock', as suggested by [1]

I hadn't then.
But I have now and as a consequence everything is working perfectly.
Thank you.

(Over time I have occasionally had to moderate the syntax of both "XWin"
and "xterm" command lines to go from working to failing and back again
to working. This is just another example. On an earlier occasion, the
recommended use of -nolock failed. I am just happy when the current
usage works. Thanks again.)

Fergus

* Re: Updated: xorg-server-1.9.2-1
@ 2010-11-10 16:25     ` Jon TURNEY
From: Jon TURNEY @ 2010-11-10 16:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree; +Cc: fergus

On 09/11/2010 09:02, Fergus wrote:
>>> Fatal server error:
>>> Can't read lock file /tmp/.X0-lock
>
>> Does /tmp/.X0-lock exists? Is it readable by you?
>
> Yes.

Hmm. It's strange that the Xserver should choose to lie about that, then.

The code in question really does just say...

      lfd = open(LockFile, O_RDONLY);
      if (lfd < 0) {
        unlink(tmp);
        FatalError("Can't read lock file %s\n", LockFile);
      }

... so I can't see much room for unpredictability.

It would be helpful if you could strace XWin to see why it gets this wrong.

Have you tried manually removing the lock file /tmp/.X0-lock?

>> Are you sure /tmp is getting mounted successfully
>> where you expect it to be?
>
> Yes.
>
>> Have you tried '-nolock', as suggested by [1]
>
> I hadn't then.
> But I have now and as a consequence everything is working perfectly.
> Thank you.
>
> (Over time I have occasionally had to moderate the syntax of both "XWin" and
> "xterm" command lines to go from working to failing and back again to working.
> This is just another example. On an earlier occasion, the recommended use of
> -nolock failed. I am just happy when the current usage works. Thanks again.)

Well, I can't deny this might be your experience, but that's not how things
are supposed to work :-)