From: Jon TURNEY <jon.turney@dronecode.org.uk>
To: cygwin-xfree@cygwin.com
Cc: fhansen@nycap.rr.com
Subject: Re: xorg-server-1.9.2-1 Fullscreen Issue
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2011 17:48:00 -0000	[thread overview]

On 21/01/2011 04:38, Frederick D. Hansen wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-11-19 at 13:37 +0000, Jon TURNEY wrote:
>> On 18/11/2010 12:33, Frederick Hansen wrote:
>>> Just FYI, after upgrading to xorg-server 1.9.2, any attempt to run in fullscreen results in an error.  Downgrading to version 1.8.2 seems to correct the issue.  Running either version in multiwindow also works.
>>>
>>> The contents of Xwin.log are shown below:
>>>

>>> Welcome to the XWin X Server
>>> Vendor: The Cygwin/X Project
>>> Release: 1.9.2.0 (10902000)
>>> Build Date: 2010-11-03
>>>
>>> XWin was started with the following command line:
>>>
>>> /usr/bin/XWin -fullscreen -depth 8 -clipboard -silent-dup-error
>>>
>> [snip]
>>> [ 30091.406] (EE) XKB: Could not invoke xkbcomp
>>> [ 30091.406] (EE) XKB: Couldn't compile keymap
>>> [ 30091.406] XKB: Failed to compile keymap
>>> [ 30091.406] Keyboard initialization failed. This could be a missing or incorrect setup of xkeyboard-config.
>>> [ 30091.406]
>>> Fatal server error:
>>> [ 30091.406] Failed to activate core devices.
>>
>> Interesting.
>>
>> I can start X in fullscreen without problems using the same options.
>>
>> Are you sure that removing -fullscreen allows the X server to start properly?
>>  This kind of failure (invoking xkbcomp) is usually caused by BLODA or rebase
>> problems preventing xkbcomp from being spawned.  It would be unusual for that
>> to only occur with certain options, but I guess it is possible.
>>
> I have tried running in fullscreen on several other machines as well,
> and ran into the same problem on some of these other machines.  These
> are fairly clean Windows XP SP3 installations.  The issue occurs with
> version 1.9.3 as well.  It does indeed work with -fullscreen removed.
> Furthermore, if I rename /lib/dri/swrast_dri.so to something else, the
> affected systems run in fullscreen without issue.

I use XP SP3.  I can't reproduce this problem.

The problem going away when you remove (and hence prevent from loading) the
dynamically loaded swrast_dri.so *really* makes this look like a remap problem.

There is some work upstream to remove this rather pointless fork/exec of
xkbcomp and replace it with libxkbcommon, but that now seems unlikely to
appear in X server 1.10.

--
Jon TURNEY
Volunteer Cygwin/X X Server maintainer