From: "Larry Hall \(Cygwin X\)" <reply-to-list-only-lh-x@cygwin.com>
To: cygwin-xfree@cygwin.com
Subject: Re: complains about the cygwin/gcc binaries
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2011 19:52:00 -0000	[thread overview]

On 1/27/2011 2:36 PM, wxie wrote:
> In the ROOT downloading website:
> http://root.cern.ch/drupal/content/production-version-528
> It says:
> "Note that the performance of cygwin/gcc binaries is currently very poor; we
> only pro vide this build as an unsupported toy. We strongly recommend to use
> the version above compiled with VC++. The ROOT team will not answer any
> messages related to problems with the win32gcc version"
> What's the reason of the poor performance. Is there any way to improve that?

If you're posting something about Cygwin's gcc or Cygwin in general, the
better list is cygwin at cygwin dot com.  As for the statement above, I
think you're better off asking the folks that are responsible for making
the statement.  There's obviously some overhead to the emulated environment
that Cygwin provides but I can't say whether the statement is a general
reference to this issue or to something more specific.

--
Larry