From: Jon TURNEY <jon.turney@dronecode.org.uk>
To: cygwin-xfree@cygwin.com
Cc: haba713@gmail.com
Subject: Re: Keyboard initialization failed. This could be a missing or incorrect setup of xkeyboard-config.
Date: Wed, 25 May 2011 14:54:00 -0000	[thread overview]

On 20/05/2011 09:33, Harri T. wrote:
> Hi! My Cygwin/X fails to start.
>
> /var/log/xwin/XWin.0.log:
>>   [   667.715] (EE) XKB: Could not invoke xkbcomp
>>   [   667.715] (EE) XKB: Couldn't compile keymap
>>   [   667.715] (EE) XKB: Failed to load keymap. Loading default keymap instead.
>>   [   669.571] (EE) XKB: Could not invoke xkbcomp
>>   [   669.571] (EE) XKB: Couldn't compile keymap
>>   [   669.571] XKB: Failed to compile keymap
>>   [   669.571] Keyboard initialization failed. This could be a missing or
>> incorrect setup of xkeyboard-config.
>>   [   669.571]
>>   Fatal server error:
>>   [   669.571] Failed to activate core devices.
>
> Full /var/log/xwin/XWin.0.log is here (expires in 7 days):
> http://pastebin.com/80rjKMwb
>
> At first X used to work well. Then problems started when I didn't log in
> Windows immediately when login prompt appeared. Now I can't start X at all.
>
> "cygcheck xkbcomp" finds no failures in library loading and "rebaseall" does
> not help.
>
> Any idea?

Unfortunately, rebaseall is a rather limited workaround, rather than a
solution for these issues (for reasons which have been discussed extensively
in the past)

I've been considering, as a temporary solution, changing the XWin server to
use system() rather than pipe() & fork() to invoke xkbcomp, which should work
around this problem until the upstream X server changes to using libxkbcommon,
which will avoid the need to run xkbcomp entirely.

(Although I imagine this will just transform the problem reports from "I can't
start the X server" (as it can't successfully fork() xkbcomp) to "I can't
start anything from the X server traymenu" (as it can't successfully fork()
those programs)

I've build a snapshot with this change and uploaded it at [1], perhaps you
could try that out and see if that makes a difference for you.

(Since this snapshot is based on RC2 for the forthcoming 1.10.2 release, it
also contains some upstream GLX changes which might break GLX on XWin which I
haven't had a chance to test yet)

[1] ftp://cygwin.com/pub/cygwinx/XWin.20110524-git-3b1bff1452ba8e19.exe.bz2

--
Jon TURNEY
Volunteer Cygwin/X X Server maintainer