* startxwin not found; solution
@ 2011-06-04 23:06 Dave Matthews
From: Dave Matthews @ 2011-06-04 23:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

I've tried to install Cygwin/X several time over the last two months and
always it only installed Cygwin, no X at all.  "startxwin not found" and
nothing relevant in /usr/bin.

The problem was that the Default setting of the installer
http://cygwin.com/setup.exe for the X11 package is "Skip".

So when you've stepped through the intaller to the "Select Packages"
screen, click X11 and set it to "Install".

- Dave

* Re: startxwin not found; solution
@ 2011-06-05  1:44 ` Tim Prince
From: Tim Prince @ 2011-06-05  1:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

On 6/4/2011 7:06 PM, Dave Matthews wrote:
> I've tried to install Cygwin/X several time over the last two months and
> always it only installed Cygwin, no X at all.  "startxwin not found" and
> nothing relevant in /usr/bin.
>
> The problem was that the Default setting of the installer
> http://cygwin.com/setup.exe for the X11 package is "Skip".
>
> So when you've stepped through the intaller to the "Select Packages"
> screen, click X11 and set it to "Install".

As the documents tell you, xinit is required for startxwin, and that
rquires setup to bring in the necessary X11 dependencies.  How could you
spend 2 months on this without looking it up?
Answered earlier from Blackberry, but the spam filter here doesn't
permit that.

--
Tim Prince