From: Linda Walsh <cygwin@tlinx.org>
To: cygwin-xfree@cygwin.com
Subject: Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: xorg-server-1.10.3-1
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2011 15:00:00 -0000	[thread overview]

Christopher Faylor wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 19, 2011 at 07:25:50PM -0700, Linda Walsh wrote:
>> Jon TURNEY wrote:
>>
>>> The following packages have been updated in the Cygwin distribution:
>>>
>>> *** xorg-server-1.10.3-1
>>> *** xorg-server-dmx-1.10.3-1
>> ----
>> 	How can I install 'just' those packages (from the command
>> line)....
>>
>> 	The GUI has no option to only install 1 package --
>> it selects ALL, (100's of my packages want updates, but when I tried I
>> tried it last, I ended up with a completely non-function cygwin setup
>> (no bash, nada..., thank goddess I had a backup...)
>>
>> 	So now now, I tried going through and unselecting, but there
>> were too many and my wrists gave out.....and of course the GUI has
>> not KB-accelerators like shift-minus to unselect all, that I could find.
>>
>> 	Any easy way to cherry pick packages to install rather than being
>> forced fed entire updates all at once?
>>
>> the cmd line 'setup' claims to allow you to install, one package, but
>> then it went through the whole gui process and still had all the other
>> default packages installed!....
>
> If you ran setup.exe and it deleted bash then there is something very
> seriously wrong with either your system or setup.exe.
>
> I know where my money would go if I was betting on which of the above
> was more likely.

---
	Didn't delete it...
it was all non-functional....bash, everything dumped core or stacktraced
-- symptoms of needing a rebase, but that didn't fix everything. ..

Got bash to run but then still no X, and bash wouldn't run under
'Console' (only under native win cmd-like shell).

	You wanna put money on fault?  Gee, Console worked w/old
bash, installed, new bash, no longer works -- what changed?

	X used to work, update?  Not.  Fault?
	I wasn't pointing finger, BTW, I know my config isn't
standard...BUT...that doesn't mean an update should through everything
into chaos...