From: Jon TURNEY <jon.turney@dronecode.org.uk>
To: cygwin-xfree <cygwin-xfree@cygwin.com>
Cc: moss@cs.umass.edu
Subject: Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: xorg-server-1.10.3-1
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2011 15:58:00 -0000	[thread overview]

On 19/07/2011 18:17, Eliot Moss wrote:
> On 7/19/2011 10:24 AM, Jon TURNEY wrote:
>> The following packages have been updated in the Cygwin distribution:
>>
>> *** xorg-server-1.10.3-1
>> *** xorg-server-dmx-1.10.3-1

>> * On Windows 7, use new taskbar APIs so X windows are grouped on the taskbar
>> more correctly (Thanks to Tobias Häußler)

My apologies, this should have mentioned multiwindow mode i.e. "X windows are
grouped on the taskbar more correctly in multiwindow mode"

> I have a wondering about whether this accomplishes something I
> have been desiring ... apparently not, but perhaps I have simply
> not set things up right.
>
> - I start XWin via run.exe invoking a startxwin.bat file. This avoid a
>   needless console window.
> - I have created a Windows shortcut for this, and given it the XWin.exe
>   icon by pointing the shortcut's icon selection to XWin.exe.
> - I get a *separate* instance of the XWin icon when XWin starts up,
>   that is, separate from the run.exe one.
>
> What I would *like* is for the running instance of XWin.exe to be
> considered as "having the same icon", so that I don't get two instances,
> one for the run.exe shortcut and another for the running XWin.
>
> Is there another/better way I can arrange this?

The start menu shortcut for starting XWin in multiwindow mode installed by the
xinit package goes to some lengths to avoid lingering unnecessary windows
whilst setting up the correct environment, so if you need a custom command
line to invoke XWin, you should use that as a template.

Obviously, if you are running XWin in windowed mode, you will have one taskbar
item corresponding to the XWin window :-)

--
Jon TURNEY
Volunteer Cygwin/X X Server maintainer