From: Jon TURNEY <jon.turney@dronecode.org.uk>
To: cygwin-xfree <cygwin-xfree@cygwin.com>
Cc: cygwin@tlinx.org
Subject: Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: xorg-server-1.10.3-1
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2011 17:04:00 -0000	[thread overview]

On 20/07/2011 03:25, Linda Walsh wrote:
> Jon TURNEY wrote:
>
>> The following packages have been updated in the Cygwin distribution:
>>
>> *** xorg-server-1.10.3-1
>> *** xorg-server-dmx-1.10.3-1
>
> ----
>     How can I install 'just' those packages (from the command
> line)....

This is not currently possible from the command line, setup will always
upgrade all packages to the current version even when some packages to install
are explicitly specified.

Ideally, setup wouldn't violate the principle of least surprise like that.

>     The GUI has no option to only install 1 package --
> it selects ALL, (100's of my packages want updates, but when I tried I
> tried it last, I ended up with a completely non-function cygwin setup
> (no bash, nada..., thank goddess I had a backup...)
>
>     So now now, I tried going through and unselecting, but there
> were too many and my wrists gave out.....and of course the GUI has
> not KB-accelerators like shift-minus to unselect all, that I could find.
>
>     Any easy way to cherry pick packages to install rather than being
> forced fed entire updates all at once?

However, I think there is a way to do it via the GUI without thousands of clicks.

1) Start setup as usual
2) On the "Select packages" page, click on the 'Keep' radio button
3) Locate the packages you wish to update and select the version to update to

> the cmd line 'setup' claims to allow you to install, one package, but
> then it went through the whole gui process and still had all the other
> default packages installed!....

If you don't want to have to interact with the GUI, you have to use the -q
command line option for unattended mode.