From: cygwin@tlinx.org
To: cygwin-xfree <cygwin-xfree@cygwin.com>
Subject: Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: xorg-server-1.10.3-1
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2011 14:06:00 -0000	[thread overview]

Jon TURNEY wrote:

> On 20/07/2011 03:25, Linda Walsh wrote:
>> Jon TURNEY wrote:
>>
>>> The following packages have been updated in the Cygwin distribution:
>>>
>>> *** xorg-server-1.10.3-1
>>> *** xorg-server-dmx-1.10.3-1
>> ----
>>     How can I install 'just' those packages (from the command
>> line)....
>
> This is not currently possible from the command line, setup will always
> upgrade all packages to the current version even when some packages to install
> are explicitly specified.
>
> Ideally, setup wouldn't violate the principle of least surprise like that.

---
	But I thought that's the way some of the Cygwin staff liked it?
(principle of most  surprise! ;-) ).  It is sorta broken, since the docs
claim to allow you to specify a package name to install on the cmd line.

That it 'includes, automatically, all packages with updates is a real nasty
gotcha...

> However, I think there is a way to do it via the GUI without thousands of clicks.
>
> 1) Start setup as usual
> 2) On the "Select packages" page, click on the 'Keep' radio button
> 3) Locate the packages you wish to update and select the version to update to

----
AWESOME!
	Never noticed Keep as a global button there...

>> the cmd line 'setup' claims to allow you to install, one package, but
>> then it went through the whole gui process and still had all the other
>> default packages installed!....
>
> If you don't want to have to interact with the GUI, you have to use the -q
> command line option for unattended mode.

---
	Well.. I sometimes don't -- especially when wanting to do a single package
update by name, thing is, would I end up with a similar problem with
all packages being selected by default (or all that have updates)?  or is
the 'q' mode better about doing what the docs claim? -- i.e. allowing
installing one package on the cmd line?

Many thanks! for the keep-global alone!!

linda