From: Jon TURNEY <jon.turney@dronecode.org.uk>
To: cygwin-xfree@cygwin.com
Cc: klindsay@ucar.edu, tamura@hpc-sol.co.jp
Subject: Re: X segmentation fault when particular application attempts to open a window
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2012 18:15:00 -0000	[thread overview]

On 25/04/2012 22:45, Keith Lindsay wrote:
> On 4/25/2012 2:20 PM, Keith Lindsay wrote:
>> I'm running a data analysis program called ferret on a remote machine
>> that I've logged on to with "ssh -X". When the program attempts to
>> create a window, the Cygwin/X server crashes with a segmentation fault.
>> The seg fault is reproducible.
>>
>> xclock works fine from the same remote machine.
>>
>> This is with version 1.12.0-4 of xorg-server.
>>
>> ferret has worked with some previous versions of the Cygwin/X server,
>> but I'm not certain about the precise version where the breakage
>> occurred. I backed up one version and encountered the same problem.
>>
>> I've attached the output of "cygcheck -c", the file
>> /var/log/xwin/XWin.0.log, and the output of a gdb that is attached to
>> the XWin process when it crashes.
>
> I realized that I can back up to other versions of xorg-server by installing
> from the local directory that contains previous version downloads. I have
> discovered that ferret works fine with version 1.12.0-1 of xorg-server (built
> 2012-03-12) and generates the segmentation violation with version 1.12.0-2
> (built 2012-04-04).

Thanks for the excellent bug report.

I've uploaded 1.12.0-5 which hopefully contains a fix for this crash.

This crash was caused by the server being unable to find the bitmap which the
application wants to use for it's icon, it's not clear why this is happening,
so I would be interested to know if the application icon is correct or not.

--
Jon TURNEY
Volunteer Cygwin/X X Server maintainer