From: Jon TURNEY <jon.turney@dronecode.org.uk>
To: cygwin-xfree@cygwin.com
Cc: cgatesman@gmail.com
Subject: Re: Right control key creating window causes control state to be stuck
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2012 14:32:00 -0000	[thread overview]

On 28/11/2012 13:56, Chad Gatesman wrote:
> I have been struggling with a problem in Cygwin/X for quite a while,
> now, and I'm surprised more people haven't been having issues with it.
>  I will try to explain it with an example:
>
> If you are in Nedit, and hit Ctrl+F to do a Find, naturally, you would
> type RCtrl+F (not LCtrl).  When you do this, the Find dialog comes up,
> but the Control state is stuck on, and anything you try to type in the
> Find dialog just types control characters.  This problem does not
> occur if you type LCtrl+F to bring up the Find dialog, but that is not
> the natural typing Control key to press in conjunction with "F".
>
> Doing some research, it looks like this problem has been discussed,
> before, and a patch was even put together.  But for whatever reason,
> it was dismissed.
> See:http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-xfree/2012-03/msg00001.html
>
> I am posting this issue again in hopes this defect is taken a second
> look to be considered more important than it has in the past.

It's not correct to say that the patch was 'dismissed'.  It had some technical
issues and until someone worked on them, it wasn't going to get applied.

Anyhow, as part of some other work, I recently looked over this patch again,
and fixed those problems, so this fix should be included in the next cygwin
Xserver release.

I've uploaded a snapshot at [1].  Perhaps you could try that and see if it
fixes the issue for you?

[1] ftp://cygwin.com/pub/cygwinx/XWin.20121130-git-517ae9c3f7a77fe2.exe.bz2

--
Jon TURNEY
Volunteer Cygwin/X X Server maintainer