* xfig: Warning: Missing charsets in String to FontSet conversion
@ 2013-02-04  0:14 Andy
From: Andy @ 2013-02-04  0:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

When I start xfig, I get the following:
   Warning: Missing charsets in String to FontSet conversion
   Warning: Missing charsets in String to FontSet conversion
   Warning: Missing charsets in String to FontSet conversion
   ^GCan't open compose key file '/usr/lib/xfig/CompKeyDB',
      no multi-key sequences available

I want to deal wit the font messages first.  I may ask about the compose key
file if I can't resolve it with web search.

Googling the font error yields hits mostly from non-cygwin distributions of
xfig.  Most hits are from people who actually get more detail in the error,
specifying the fonts that are missing.  I don't seem to have that detail in the
message above.  I found that the fonts are stored in /usr/share/fonts, but I
haven't been able to find a description of how to determine which fonts are
missing.  The only font related messages in the XWin log file at
/var/log/xwin/XWin.0.log are:

   [  6157.577] XFree86-Bigfont extension local-client optimization
   disabled due to lack of shared memory support in the kernel

   [  6157.640] [dix] Could not init font path element
   /usr/share/fonts/OTF/, removing from list!

I don't care about "optimizations" at this point, so I ignored the first
message.  Googling "OTF" in the 2nd message reveals that they are
Adobe/Microsoft fonts, so I doubt that is the problem.  In any case, I would
like to avoid installing fonts willy-nilly because there are so many and I don't
want to bloat my system.

Is there an xfig log file or some other means by which one can determine which
fonts are missing?

* Re: xfig: Warning: Missing charsets in String to FontSet conversion
@ 2013-02-04 15:26 ` Jon TURNEY
From: Jon TURNEY @ 2013-02-04 15:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree; +Cc: AndyMHancock

On 04/02/2013 00:11, Andy wrote:
> When I start xfig, I get the following:
>    Warning: Missing charsets in String to FontSet conversion
>    Warning: Missing charsets in String to FontSet conversion
>    Warning: Missing charsets in String to FontSet conversion
>    ^GCan't open compose key file '/usr/lib/xfig/CompKeyDB',
>       no multi-key sequences available
>
> I want to deal wit the font messages first.  I may ask about the compose key
> file if I can't resolve it with web search.
>
> Googling the font error yields hits mostly from non-cygwin distributions of
> xfig.  Most hits are from people who actually get more detail in the error,
> specifying the fonts that are missing.

Interesting.  Maybe there is some patch available which improve the reporting
in libX11.

> I don't seem to have that detail in the
> message above.  I found that the fonts are stored in /usr/share/fonts, but I
> haven't been able to find a description of how to determine which fonts are
> missing.  The only font related messages in the XWin log file at
> /var/log/xwin/XWin.0.log are:
>

> Is there an xfig log file or some other means by which one can determine which
> fonts are missing?

Yes, this error message from libX11 is pretty bad, and should tell you the
charsets that are missing.

If I recall correctly, this warning is usually caused when you are using an
UTF-8 locale (like the default C.UTF-8 locale), because when making the
fontset, libX11 searches for matching fonts with all the encodings it knows
about, and there are no matching fonts with CJK encodings (as no CJK fonts are
installed).

Installing the fonts font-isas-misc, font-jis-misc and font-daewoo-misc should
work around the problem.

You could also use a non-UTF-8 locale, but I wouldn't recommend that.

--
Jon TURNEY
Volunteer Cygwin/X X Server maintainer

* Re: xfig: Warning: Missing charsets in String to FontSet conversion
@ 2013-02-05  0:27   ` Jack
From: Jack @ 2013-02-05  0:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

On 2013.02.04 10:26, Jon TURNEY wrote:
> On 04/02/2013 00:11, Andy wrote:
> > When I start xfig, I get the following:
> >    Warning: Missing charsets in String to FontSet conversion
> >    Warning: Missing charsets in String to FontSet conversion
> >    Warning: Missing charsets in String to FontSet conversion
> >    ^GCan't open compose key file '/usr/lib/xfig/CompKeyDB',
> >       no multi-key sequences available
> Yes, this error message from libX11 is pretty bad, and should tell
> you the charsets that are missing.
>
> If I recall correctly, this warning is usually caused when you are
> using an UTF-8 locale (like the default C.UTF-8 locale), because when
> making the fontset, libX11 searches for matching fonts with all the
> encodings it knows about, and there are no matching fonts with CJK
> encodings (as no CJK fonts are installed).
>
> Installing the fonts font-isas-misc, font-jis-misc and
> font-daewoo-misc should work around the problem.
>
> You could also use a non-UTF-8 locale, but I wouldn't recommend that.

I'm getting the same three warnings, followed by
Warning: Cannot convert string
"-*-times-bold-r-normal--16-*-*-*-*-*-*-*,-*-*-bold-r-normal--16-*-*-*-*-*-*-*,-*-*-*-r-*--16-*-*-*-*-*-*-*"
to type FontSet
but not the compose key message.

I already have those three fonts installed, and my locale is
en_US.UTF-8.

I see some similar issues in the past in the list archive, including an
unanswered post from Yaakov 17 Dec 2009 which looks exactly like this
question.

I've also seen posts suggsting other fonts or packages - none of which
I see on cygwin, so I don't know if they're not available or just named
differently.  (Examples include gsfonts-x11, xfonts-base,
xfonts-encodings, xfonts-scalable)

Any other troubleshooting you can suggest?

Jack

* Re: xfig: Warning: Missing charsets in String to FontSet conversion
@ 2013-02-05  7:05     ` Andy
From: Andy @ 2013-02-05  7:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Jack <ostroffjh <at> sbcglobal.net> writes:
>On 2013.02.04 10:26, Jon TURNEY wrote:
>>On 04/02/2013 00:11, Andy wrote:
>>> When I start xfig, I get the following:
>>>    Warning: Missing charsets in String to FontSet conversion
>>>    Warning: Missing charsets in String to FontSet conversion
>>>    Warning: Missing charsets in String to FontSet conversion
>>>    ^GCan't open compose key file '/usr/lib/xfig/CompKeyDB',
>>>       no multi-key sequences available
>>
>> Yes, this error message from libX11 is pretty bad, and should tell
>> you the charsets that are missing.
>>
>> If I recall correctly, this warning is usually caused when you are
>> using an UTF-8 locale (like the default C.UTF-8 locale), because
>> when making the fontset, libX11 searches for matching fonts with
>> all the encodings it knows about, and there are no matching fonts
>> with CJK encodings (as no CJK fonts are installed).
>>
>> Installing the fonts font-isas-misc, font-jis-misc and
>> font-daewoo-misc should work around the problem.
>>
>> You could also use a non-UTF-8 locale, but I wouldn't recommend
>> that.

I uninstalled xfig because I managed to solve my problem with Inkscape.  I'm not
trying to snub one vector drawing package over the other, just reporting what
happened.  I don't think I could have solved my particular problem with xfig
even in the absence of error messages because I would have to convert a PDF to
fig using pstoedit.  That conversion was problematic -- messages about missing
glyphs and unsupported fonts (I don't use CJK fonts, and the PDF did not contain
any Asian characters).

If I install xfig again and still encounter the messages in my original post,
I'll try installing the fonts you suggested.

> I'm getting the same three warnings, followed by
> Warning: Cannot convert string
> "-*-times-bold-r-normal--16-*-*-*-*-*-*-*,-*-*-bold-r
> -normal--16-*-*-*-*-*-*-*,-*-*-*-r-*--16-*-*-*-*-*-*-*"
> to type FontSet
>
> but not the compose key message.

I searched the Cygwin packages for CompKeyDB, and found that I needed to install
xfig-lib.  That caused the CompKeyDB message to go away.

> I already have those three fonts installed, and my locale is
> en_US.UTF-8.

Ah well.  Seems like it was a good attempt at guessing the cause, but those
fonts weren't the problem.

> I see some similar issues in the past in the list archive, including
> an unanswered post from Yaakov 17 Dec 2009 which looks exactly like
> this question.
>
> I've also seen posts suggsting other fonts or packages - none of
> which I see on cygwin, so I don't know if they're not available or
> just named differently.  (Examples include gsfonts-x11, xfonts-base,
> xfonts-encodings, xfonts-scalable)

Yes, I saw some of these as well, notably gsfonts-x11.  I didn't jump to the
conclusion that those particular fonts were my problem because they seem to vary
from situation to situation.  And, as you noted, gsfonts-x11 is not part of a
cygwin package (at least from a package search).

@ 2013-02-12 14:12       ` Jon TURNEY
From: Jon TURNEY @ 2013-02-12 14:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree; +Cc: AndyMHancock, ostroffjh

On 05/02/2013 07:05, Andy wrote:
> Jack <ostroffjh <at> sbcglobal.net> writes:
>>>
>>> Yes, this error message from libX11 is pretty bad, and should tell
>>> you the charsets that are missing.
>>>
>>> If I recall correctly, this warning is usually caused when you are
>>> using an UTF-8 locale (like the default C.UTF-8 locale), because
>>> when making the fontset, libX11 searches for matching fonts with
>>> all the encodings it knows about, and there are no matching fonts
>>> with CJK encodings (as no CJK fonts are installed).
>>>
>>> Installing the fonts font-isas-misc, font-jis-misc and
>>> font-daewoo-misc should work around the problem.
>>>
>>> You could also use a non-UTF-8 locale, but I wouldn't recommend
>>> that.

>> I'm getting the same three warnings, followed by
>> Warning: Cannot convert string
>> "-*-times-bold-r-normal--16-*-*-*-*-*-*-*,-*-*-bold-r
>> -normal--16-*-*-*-*-*-*-*,-*-*-*-r-*--16-*-*-*-*-*-*-*"
>> to type FontSet

>> I already have those three fonts installed, and my locale is
>> en_US.UTF-8.
>
> Ah well.  Seems like it was a good attempt at guessing the cause, but those
> fonts weren't the problem.
>
>> I see some similar issues in the past in the list archive, including
>> an unanswered post from Yaakov 17 Dec 2009 which looks exactly like
>> this question.
>>
>> I've also seen posts suggsting other fonts or packages - none of
>> which I see on cygwin, so I don't know if they're not available or
>> just named differently.  (Examples include gsfonts-x11, xfonts-base,
>> xfonts-encodings, xfonts-scalable)
>
> Yes, I saw some of these as well, notably gsfonts-x11.  I didn't jump to the
> conclusion that those particular fonts were my problem because they seem to vary
> from situation to situation.  And, as you noted, gsfonts-x11 is not part of a
> cygwin package (at least from a package search).
>
>> Any other troubleshooting you can suggest?

I've uploaded at [1] a patched version of libXt, which includes some extra
debugging output, including the name of encoding which is causing this
warning, based on a patch at [2].  (This patch isn't really suitable for
upstreaming as it needs to be wired up to libXt's rather confusing error
reporting and localization scheme)

This should at least allow us to discover the name of the encoding which is
causing the warning.

[1] ftp://cygwin.com/pub/cygwinx/cygXt-6.dll
[2] http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-gv/2010-07/msg00004.html

--

@ 2013-02-12 14:42         ` marco atzeri
From: marco atzeri @ 2013-02-12 14:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

On 2/12/2013 3:12 PM, Jon TURNEY wrote:

> I've uploaded at [1] a patched version of libXt, which includes some extra
> debugging output, including the name of encoding which is causing this
> warning, based on a patch at [2].  (This patch isn't really suitable for
> upstreaming as it needs to be wired up to libXt's rather confusing error
> reporting and localization scheme)
>
> This should at least allow us to discover the name of the encoding which is
> causing the warning.
>
> [1] ftp://cygwin.com/pub/cygwinx/cygXt-6.dll
> [2] http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-gv/2010-07/msg00004.html

very nice

$ xfig &
[1] 8660

marco@MARCOATZERI ~
$ Warning: Missing charsets in String to FontSet conversion
Missing charset JISX0201.1976-0 for fontset
-*-times-medium-r-normal--16-*-*-*-*-*-*-*,-*-*-medium-r-normal--16-*-*-*-*-*-*-*,*--16-*
Warning: Missing charsets in String to FontSet conversion
Missing charset JISX0201.1976-0 for fontset
-*-times-medium-r-normal--16-*-*-*-*-*-*-*,-*-*-medium-r-normal--16-*-*-*-*-*-*-*,-*-*-*-r-*--16-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

@ 2013-02-12 15:42           ` Jon TURNEY
From: Jon TURNEY @ 2013-02-12 15:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree; +Cc: marco.atzeri

On 12/02/2013 14:42, marco atzeri wrote:
> On 2/12/2013 3:12 PM, Jon TURNEY wrote:
>>
>> I've uploaded at [1] a patched version of libXt, which includes some extra
>> debugging output, including the name of encoding which is causing this
>> warning, based on a patch at [2].  (This patch isn't really suitable for
>> upstreaming as it needs to be wired up to libXt's rather confusing error
>> reporting and localization scheme)
>>
>> This should at least allow us to discover the name of the encoding which is
>> causing the warning.
>>
>> [1] ftp://cygwin.com/pub/cygwinx/cygXt-6.dll
>> [2] http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-gv/2010-07/msg00004.html
>>

> very nice
>
> $ xfig &
> [1] 8660
>
> marco@MARCOATZERI ~
> $ Warning: Missing charsets in String to FontSet conversion
> Missing charset JISX0201.1976-0 for fontset
> -*-times-medium-r-normal--16-*-*-*-*-*-*-*,-*-*-medium-r-normal--16-*-*-*-*-*-*-*,*--16-*
>
> Warning: Missing charsets in String to FontSet conversion
> Missing charset JISX0201.1976-0 for fontset
> -*-times-medium-r-normal--16-*-*-*-*-*-*-*,-*-*-medium-r-normal--16-*-*-*-*-*-*-*,-*-*-*-r-*--16-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
>
> Warning: Missing charsets in String to FontSet conversion
> Missing charset JISX0201.1976-0 for fontset
> -*-times-bold-r-normal--16-*-*-*-*-*-*-*,-*-*-bold-r-normal--16-*-*-*-*-*-*-*,-*-*-*-r-*--16-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

If it offends your eye, you should be able to make this warning go away by
installing the font-sony-misc package and restarting your X server.

(Or you can just ignore the warning, which is probably pretty harmless unless
you have a need for Japanese text in your xfig diagram, assuming that is even
possible...)

--

@ 2013-02-12 15:53             ` marco atzeri
From: marco atzeri @ 2013-02-12 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

On 2/12/2013 4:42 PM, Jon TURNEY wrote:

>> $ xfig &
>> [1] 8660
>>
>> marco@MARCOATZERI ~
>> $ Warning: Missing charsets in String to FontSet conversion
>> Missing charset JISX0201.1976-0 for fontset
>> -*-times-medium-r-normal--16-*-*-*-*-*-*-*,-*-*-medium-r-normal--16-*-*-*-*-*-*-*,*--16-*
>>
>> Warning: Missing charsets in String to FontSet conversion
>> Missing charset JISX0201.1976-0 for fontset
>> -*-times-medium-r-normal--16-*-*-*-*-*-*-*,-*-*-medium-r-normal--16-*-*-*-*-*-*-*,-*-*-*-r-*--16-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
>>
>> Warning: Missing charsets in String to FontSet conversion
>> Missing charset JISX0201.1976-0 for fontset
>> -*-times-bold-r-normal--16-*-*-*-*-*-*-*,-*-*-bold-r-normal--16-*-*-*-*-*-*-*,-*-*-*-r-*--16-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
>
> If it offends your eye, you should be able to make this warning go away by
> installing the font-sony-misc package and restarting your X server.
>
> (Or you can just ignore the warning, which is probably pretty harmless unless
> you have a need for Japanese text in your xfig diagram, assuming that is even
> possible...)

the font is so tiny (28k) that installing it is not a problem at all

Thanks for the new cygXt-6.dll and the font hint.

Marco

* Re: xfig: Warning: Missing charsets in String to FontSet conversion
@ 2013-02-13 17:17         ` Jack
From: Jack @ 2013-02-13 17:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

On 2013.02.12 09:12, Jon TURNEY wrote:
> I've uploaded at [1] a patched version of libXt, which includes some
> extra debugging output, including the name of encoding which is
> causing this warning, based on a patch at [2].  (This patch isn't
> really suitable for upstreaming as it needs to be wired up to libXt's
> rather confusing error reporting and localization scheme)
>
> This should at least allow us to discover the name of the encoding
> which is causing the warning.
>
> [1] ftp://cygwin.com/pub/cygwinx/cygXt-6.dll
> [2] http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-gv/2010-07/msg00004.html

Jon,

Thanks for this.  I get a different set from the Marco.

Warning: Missing charsets in String to FontSet conversion
Missing charset ISO8859-1 for fontset
-*-times-bold-r-normal--16-*-*-*-*-*-*-*,-*-*-bold-r-normal--16-*-*-*-*-*-*-*,-*-*-*-r-*--16-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
Missing charset ISO8859-1 for fontset
-*-times-bold-r-normal--16-*-*-*-*-*-*-*,-*-*-bold-r-normal--16-*-*-*-*-*-*-*,-*-*-*-r-*--16-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
Missing charset ISO8859-2 for fontset
-*-times-bold-r-normal--16-*-*-*-*-*-*-*,-*-*-bold-r-normal--16-*-*-*-*-*-*-*,-*-*-*-r-*--16-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
Missing charset ISO8859-3 for fontset
-*-times-bold-r-normal--16-*-*-*-*-*-*-*,-*-*-bold-r-normal--16-*-*-*-*-*-*-*,-*-*-*-r-*--16-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
Missing charset ISO8859-4 for fontset
-*-times-bold-r-normal--16-*-*-*-*-*-*-*,-*-*-bold-r-normal--16-*-*-*-*-*-*-*,-*-*-*-r-*--16-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
Missing charset ISO8859-5 for fontset
-*-times-bold-r-normal--16-*-*-*-*-*-*-*,-*-*-bold-r-normal--16-*-*-*-*-*-*-*,-*-*-*-r-*--16-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
Missing charset KOI8-R for fontset
-*-times-bold-r-normal--16-*-*-*-*-*-*-*,-*-*-bold-r-normal--16-*-*-*-*-*-*-*,-*-*-*-r-*--16-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
Missing charset ISO8859-7 for fontset
-*-times-bold-r-normal--16-*-*-*-*-*-*-*,-*-*-bold-r-normal--16-*-*-*-*-*-*-*,-*-*-*-r-*--16-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
Missing charset ISO8859-9 for fontset
-*-times-bold-r-normal--16-*-*-*-*-*-*-*,-*-*-bold-r-normal--16-*-*-*-*-*-*-*,-*-*-*-r-*--16-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
Missing charset ISO8859-13 for fontset
-*-times-bold-r-normal--16-*-*-*-*-*-*-*,-*-*-bold-r-normal--16-*-*-*-*-*-*-*,-*-*-*-r-*--16-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
Missing charset ISO8859-14 for fontset
-*-times-bold-r-normal--16-*-*-*-*-*-*-*,-*-*-bold-r-normal--16-*-*-*-*-*-*-*,-*-*-*-r-*--16-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
Missing charset ISO8859-15 for fontset
-*-times-bold-r-normal--16-*-*-*-*-*-*-*,-*-*-bold-r-normal--16-*-*-*-*-*-*-*,-*-*-*-r-*--16-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
Missing charset JISX0208.1983-0 for fontset
-*-times-bold-r-normal--16-*-*-*-*-*-*-*,-*-*-bold-r-normal--16-*-*-*-*-*-*-*,-*-*-*-r-*--16-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
Missing charset KSC5601.1987-0 for fontset
-*-times-bold-r-normal--16-*-*-*-*-*-*-*,-*-*-bold-r-normal--16-*-*-*-*-*-*-*,-*-*-*-r-*--16-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
Missing charset GB2312.1980-0 for fontset
-*-times-bold-r-normal--16-*-*-*-*-*-*-*,-*-*-bold-r-normal--16-*-*-*-*-*-*-*,-*-*-*-r-*--16-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
Missing charset JISX0201.1976-0 for fontset
-*-times-bold-r-normal--16-*-*-*-*-*-*-*,-*-*-bold-r-normal--16-*-*-*-*-*-*-*,-*-*-*-r-*--16-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
Missing charset ISO10646-1 for fontset
-*-times-bold-r-normal--16-*-*-*-*-*-*-*,-*-*-bold-r-normal--16-*-*-*-*-*-*-*,-*-*-*-r-*--16-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
Warning: Cannot convert string
"-*-times-bold-r-normal--16-*-*-*-*-*-*-*,-*-*-bold-r-normal--16-*-*-*-*-*-*-*,-*-*-*-r-*--16-*-*-*-*-*-*-*"
to type FontSet

---------------
Note these are after installing the sony font.  It looks like a nearly
complete list of charsets.  I certainly don't need most of them.  I
wonder if there is some Windows setting to trim down the list even
considered on the PC?

Jack

* Re: xfig: Warning: Missing charsets in String to FontSet conversion
@ 2013-02-13 21:47           ` Thomas Dickey
From: Thomas Dickey @ 2013-02-13 21:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

On Wed, Feb 13, 2013 at 12:17:07PM -0500, Jack wrote:
> Note these are after installing the sony font.  It looks like a
> nearly complete list of charsets.  I certainly don't need most of
> them.  I wonder if there is some Windows setting to trim down the
> list even considered on the PC?

Probably not - the problem is in the X libraries:

	http://invisible-island.net/xterm/xterm.faq.html#slow_menus

--
Thomas E. Dickey <dickey@invisible-island.net>
http://invisible-island.net

* Re: xfig: Warning: Missing charsets in String to FontSet conversion
@ 2013-02-13 22:48             ` Jack
From: Jack @ 2013-02-13 22:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

On 2013.02.13 16:47, Thomas Dickey wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 13, 2013 at 12:17:07PM -0500, Jack wrote:
> > Note these are after installing the sony font.  It looks like a
> > nearly complete list of charsets.  I certainly don't need most of
> > them.  I wonder if there is some Windows setting to trim down the
> > list even considered on the PC?
>
> Probably not - the problem is in the X libraries:
>
> 	http://invisible-island.net/xterm/xterm.faq.html#slow_menus

I'll play with xterm, but I've never noticed a bad delay in startup.
Also - this seems only partly related to the xfig startup messages.
Does anyone know offhand if xfig also uses the Athena widgets?

Jack

* Re: xfig: Warning: Missing charsets in String to FontSet conversion
@ 2013-02-13 23:26               ` Thomas Dickey
From: Thomas Dickey @ 2013-02-13 23:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

On Wed, Feb 13, 2013 at 05:48:39PM -0500, Jack wrote:
> On 2013.02.13 16:47, Thomas Dickey wrote:
> >On Wed, Feb 13, 2013 at 12:17:07PM -0500, Jack wrote:
> >> Note these are after installing the sony font.  It looks like a
> >> nearly complete list of charsets.  I certainly don't need most of
> >> them.  I wonder if there is some Windows setting to trim down the
> >> list even considered on the PC?
> >
> >Probably not - the problem is in the X libraries:
> >
> >	http://invisible-island.net/xterm/xterm.faq.html#slow_menus
>
> I'll play with xterm, but I've never noticed a bad delay in startup.
> Also - this seems only partly related to the xfig startup messages.
> Does anyone know offhand if xfig also uses the Athena widgets?

yes (according to the dependencies I see in Debian, it's one of 125
packages who do this).

xterm, as noted in the faq, uses a workaround

--

@ 2013-02-14 16:15           ` Jon TURNEY
From: Jon TURNEY @ 2013-02-14 16:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree; +Cc: ostroffjh

On 13/02/2013 17:17, Jack wrote:
> On 2013.02.12 09:12, Jon TURNEY wrote:
>> I've uploaded at [1] a patched version of libXt, which includes some extra
>> debugging output, including the name of encoding which is causing this
>> warning, based on a patch at [2].  (This patch isn't really suitable for
>> upstreaming as it needs to be wired up to libXt's rather confusing error
>> reporting and localization scheme)
>>
>> This should at least allow us to discover the name of the encoding which is
>> causing the warning.
>>
>> [1] ftp://cygwin.com/pub/cygwinx/cygXt-6.dll
>> [2] http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-gv/2010-07/msg00004.html
>
> Jon,
>
> Thanks for this.  I get a different set from the Marco.
>
> Warning: Missing charsets in String to FontSet conversion
> Missing charset ISO8859-1 for fontset
> -*-times-bold-r-normal--16-*-*-*-*-*-*-*,-*-*-bold-r-normal--16-*-*-*-*-*-*-*,-*-*-*-r-*--16-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
[snip]
> Warning: Cannot convert string

"-*-times-bold-r-normal--16-*-*-*-*-*-*-*,-*-*-bold-r-normal--16-*-*-*-*-*-*-*,-*-*-*-r-*--16-*-*-*-*-*-*-*"
> to type FontSet
> Note these are after installing the sony font.  It looks like a nearly
> complete list of charsets.  I certainly don't need most of them.  I wonder if
> there is some Windows setting to trim down the list even considered on the PC?

The only way I can reproduce this is if I uninstall all my fonts.

This suggests to me that there's something rather odd going on.  Can you
provide /var/log/xwin/Xin.0.log and cygcheck -svr output, please?

Does xlsfonts list any fonts for you?

--

@ 2016-05-22 20:47 ` Stefan Katletz
From: Stefan Katletz @ 2016-05-22 20:47 UTC (permalink / raw)