Am 23.07.2013 14:59, schrieb Jon TURNEY: > I can't reproduce this. > > I think there must be some other factor at work: the XWin error message > relates to a timeout during X -> Windows clipboard conversion, but I can't > make clicking on a firefox bookmark cause that conversion to happen. > > There are definitely bugs in this area, so any additional information you can > provide would be helpful. After deeper investigation, it occurs that the problem is triggered by gnuplot in particular (I was effectively unable to reproduce it with a few other X11 applications, as xterm, xfig, xdvi or ddd). Most of the time I use gnuplot from within Octave, but the easiest way to reproduce the problem is by launching gnuplot directly in a Cygwin terminal window, then entering "plot sin(x), cos(x)" on the gnuplot prompt to open an X11 pop-up window containing a plot. Here is the terminal output from gnuplot: $ gnuplot G N U P L O T Version 4.6 patchlevel 3 last modified 2013-04-12 Build System: CYGWIN_NT-5.1 i686 Copyright (C) 1986-1993, 1998, 2004, 2007-2013 Thomas Williams, Colin Kelley and many others gnuplot home: http://www.gnuplot.info faq, bugs, etc: type "help FAQ" immediate help: type "help" (plot window: hit 'h') Terminal type set to 'x11' gnuplot> plot sin(x), cos(x) gnuplot> After this, clicking on Firefox bookmarks shows the problem - also when using the bookmark window opened with Ctrl-Shift-B. I also tried to relaunch FF in "safe mode" i.e. with add-ons disabled, with the same result. After closing gnuplot it is necessary to wait for a few minutes until FF's behaviour returns to normal; alternatively one can close the X server to restore the normal function of FF immediately. The problem shows both under Windows XP (SP3) and under Windows 7 (SP 1). I attach the "cygcheck -s -v -r" output and the /var/log/xwin/XWin.0.log for the former platform. I don't know why most of the message lines in the XWin.0.log are duplicated without and with the [time stamp] in front (it is not the case under Windows 7) - but that's another problem.