Hi, FWIW, I've written the attached script to facilitate launching remote X applications on Windows desktop with Cygwin. I presume for most people on this list it does not provide anything new but its target audience is rather people who are not very familiar with Cygwin, Linux, X, or SSH and prefer using Windows, allowing them easily to run remote X applications just by clicking a desktop icon. In short, the script will start XWin and setup SSH keys with minimal user intervention allowing easy but secure use of remote X applications on Windows desktop. The complete installation instructions are as follows, this is a copy/paste from the script, after that one just needs to click on the newly created icon: # Installation instructions for Cygwin and this script: # # 1) Install from http://www.cygwin.com/ using 32 or 64-bit setup*.exe # 2) During installation, select at least these additional packages: # # keychain openssh psmisc xorg-server xterm # # 3) Place this script in C:\cygwin\bin # 4) Create a shortcut on Windows desktop with # a) "Start in" being the bin path 3) above # b) "Target" being # # C:\cygwin\bin\run.exe -p /bin /bin/sh -c "/bin/x-app-open host application" # # In case a user name needs to be specified use the form user@host. # I'm not a Cygwin packager and not planning to become one but if someone sees this valuable, creating an x-app-open Cygwin package with proper dependencies would allow making the second step above a bit more straightforward. But even by itself the script, now available in the list archives, has been helpful. Wrt to technical details, there might be a corner case or two when XWin is left behind but otherwise I'm not aware of any major issues with it. Thanks, -- Marko Myllynen