From: Jon TURNEY <jon.turney@dronecode.org.uk>
To: cygwin-xfree@cygwin.com
Cc: arnaud.caubel@lsce.ipsl.fr
Subject: Re: windows 7 cygwin/XWin session dies
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2014 16:58:00 -0000	[thread overview]

On 22/04/2014 11:00, Arnaud Caubel wrote:
> I run my cygwin/XWin.exe session on Windows 7 Professional and this session
> dies when I iconify it during some time (let'say 20 min).
> I think the problem is not to iconify it but more to not do anything.
> It is very uncomfortable because I have to relaunch it every time I do
> something else (emails, internet,...) more than about 20 minutes...
> I do not understand why the X session crashes...
> Could anyone help me ?
>
> It seems there is something with : "XDM: Alive response indicates session
> dead, declaring session dead" but I do not know which parameter I have to
> change to modify this behaviour...

> Release: 1.9.2.0 (10902000)
> Build Date: 2010-11-03

This is quite an old version.  While I am not aware of any fixes in this area,
you might like to try with the current version.

> [  6240.102] XDM: Alive response indicates session dead, declaring session dead

This means "I sent an XDMCP keepalive for the current session to the XDM
server, but it's response said that the session wasn't alive."

One question I have is if your machine running XWin is idle, and going into a
sleep state before this problem occurs?

If that is the case, that may be the problem, as XDM will, by default,
periodically test if it can contact the display and declare the session dead
if that fails.

If your display manager is XDM, that can be turned off by setting the
DisplayManager.DISPLAY.pingInterval resource to 0. Other display managers may
have similar settings.

Alternatively, you could arrange for sleeping to be suspended while the X
server is running (It seems on Win7 or later you can use powercfg
-requestsoverride to prevent sleep while a specified program is running, or
there are several simple utilities available which prevent suspend while they
are running)

If that is not the case, the XDM logs on the XDM host might be informative, if
you have access to them.  Failing that, you could use wireshark or similar to
monitor the XDMCP protocol interactions.

--
Jon TURNEY
Volunteer Cygwin/X X Server maintainer