* problems with cygwin/x
@ 2014-10-14 16:19 t s
From: t s @ 2014-10-14 16:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

> On 04/10/2014 18:16, t s wrote:
>> first of all, regarding the Cygwin setup program; the options are
>> install / re-install / un-install / default
>>
>> is it correct that to install only the latest updates, I would choose
>> the option 'default' ?
>
> I'm not sure what text you are looking at.
>
> The options for an individual package which is already installed are
> 'reinstall', 'uninstall', 'keep' and specific versions other than the
> currently installed one (if any).
>
> I can't see "default" anywhere.
>
> If you mean the default version, then yes, when "curr" is selected at
> the top, all packages which have updates, will be updated.

 The current version of the setup program, 2.850 (64 bit), on the "select packages" screen, features a "default" option.

 Please see; http://cpm86.com/default.jpg

 The four options are; Install; Reinstall; Uninstall; Default

 I just want to be sure; to install only the latest updates, I would choose 'Default' ?

>> next question : if I delete the start menu option "Cygwin/x" and run
>> the setup program for option "default", it doesn't re-create the
>> start menu option "Cygwin/x"
>>
>> is this 'feature' acknowledged, and is it being addressed?
>
> The start menu link for for the X server is owned by the package xinit.
> If you reinstall that package, it should be recreated.

 That's the answer I was looking for. Thank you.

 I have a further question. Choosing menu item "Cygwin-X / X Win Server" boots X windows. If you right click on the 'X' icon in the lower right side of the screen, it features applications xterm / emacs / notepad / xload.

 Is it possible to tailor the list of applications referenced above? to include say xclock, xeyes

And yet another question; I note the presence of a number of files in \usr\bin which start with 'gnome'. Does Cygwin/x feature gnome or kde as user interfaces? or does it only allow compilation of apps which use features of those interfaces?

* Re: problems with cygwin/x
@ 2014-10-14 19:36 ` Jon TURNEY
From: Jon TURNEY @ 2014-10-14 19:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree; +Cc: cygwin-xfree

On 14/10/2014 17:19, t s wrote:
[duplicate email]

Please don't spam the list with the same mail.  If you get no answer, it
is because no-one has an answer for you (yet).

--
Jon TURNEY
Volunteer Cygwin/X X Server maintainer