* [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: xinit-1.3.4-1 (Major overhaul of X session handling)
@ 2014-11-28  3:04 Yaakov Selkowitz
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Yaakov Selkowitz @ 2014-11-28  3:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

The following package has been updated in the Cygwin distribution:

* xinit-1.3.4-1

xinit contains commands used for starting X sessions.

This is an update to the latest upstream release, and includes a number
of major changes to X session handling:

* startxwin is now a shell script instead of an executable; if you have
any homemade links thereto, be sure to remember the .exe extension.

* startxwin now automatically finds an unused DISPLAY number, just like
startx.

* startxwin now includes a default startxwinrc (if ~/.startxwinrc is
absent) which launches a number of applicable "autostart" session
services if present.

* The new default startxwinrc also launches a miniature fbpanel in the
upper left corner of the screen which contains an XDG application menu
(the 'X' icon) for launching X applications, plus an on-demand area for
X tray icons.  After the first run, the panel and menu can be customized
in ~/.config/fbpanel/multiwindow.

* User-defined ~/.startxwinrc files must now be executable, the final
command therein must be run in the foreground, and that command's
exiting will end the X session, just like with startx and ~/.xinitrc or
~/.Xclients.

* Both startx and startxwin now start a D-Bus session bus automatically.

* X sessions (both multwindow and desktop) started with the newly
revised Start Menu shortcuts now log stderr to ~/.xsession-errors.

* startx now prefers ~/.Xclients (which must also be executable) instead
of ~/.xinitrc; the latter can still be used, but doing so will override
many of the new features mentioned here.

* If startx is run from the command line and neither ~/.xinitrc nor
~/.Xclients are present, it will try to start a real desktop environment
if present before falling back to twm/xterm.

* startx and startxwin now pass '-nolisten tcp' to the server by
default, which increases security in the X server by not opening a port
to TCP connections.  The '-listen' flag can be passed as a server
argument to override this.

--
Yaakov
Cygwin/X

* Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: xinit-1.3.4-1 (Major overhaul of X session handling)
@ 2014-11-30  0:18 Angelo Graziosi
From: Angelo Graziosi @ 2014-11-30  0:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree, nem

Nem W Schlecht wrote:
> Yes, but both of those are applications that have an icon, display a
> window, etc.  I don't want any of that.  I just want X11 to *not*
> launch fbpanel and to *not* quit.

I don't know if the following can help..

For years I start the X server with a link whose target is:

C:\cygwin64\bin\run.exe --quote bash -l -c "rm -rf /tmp/.X*; XWin
-multiwindow -clipboard -silent-dup-error 2>/dev/null &"

and the "From" field:  C:\cygwin64\home\$USER

I created it with a script like this

MKSHORTCUT=`which mkshortcut 2> /dev/null`
RUN=`which run 2> /dev/null`
XWINEXE=`which XWin 2> /dev/null`
XWINEXE="${XWINEXE}.exe"

xwin_link()
{
     echo
     echo -n "Creating XWin desktop link..."

     local xwin_exe_ico="${XWINEXE}"
     local xwin="XWin Server"
     local xwin_cmd="rm -rf /tmp/.X*;"
     xwin_cmd+=" XWin -multiwindow -clipboard"
     xwin_cmd+=" -silent-dup-error 2>/dev/null &"

     ${MKSHORTCUT} \
         -a "--quote bash -l -c \"${xwin_cmd}\"" \
         -d "XWin Server" \
         -i "${xwin_exe_ico}" \
         -n "${xwin}" \
         -w "${HOME}" \
         ${RUN}
     echo "done."
}

xwin_link

Now, on W7, I have it on the Applications Bar, and start the x server
manually. On XP, I had it in Start - Automatic Run, and the X server
started with Windows..

Ciao,
  Angelo.