From: Ken Brown <kbrown@cornell.edu>
To: cygwin-xfree@cygwin.com
Subject: Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: xinit-1.3.4-1 (Major overhaul of X session handling)
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2014 22:53:00 -0000	[thread overview]

On 11/27/2014 10:03 PM, Yaakov Selkowitz wrote:
> * The new default startxwinrc also launches a miniature fbpanel in the
> upper left corner of the screen which contains an XDG application menu
> (the 'X' icon) for launching X applications, plus an on-demand area for
> X tray icons.  After the first run, the panel and menu can be customized
> in ~/.config/fbpanel/multiwindow.

This is not working well for me.  I've tested on both 32-bit and 64-bit
Cygwin with no .startxwinrc and no .[xX]* files, and I've tested on two
different computers (both running Windows 7).  I started the X server
via the new start menu shortcut.

What happens is that a band appears across the bottom of the screen
(full width), hiding about 2/3 of the taskbar.  This makes it impossible
to access the icons on the right side of the taskbar.  Also, there's no
X icon in the upper left corner of the screen.  But there is a large X
icon in the taskbar, partially visible above the band, and when I mouse
over it, I see a little window that says "X panel".  Closing this window
makes the band go away.  So I guess this band is the miniature fbpanel
referred to above, but it's appearing in the wrong place.

I don't see anything suspicious in XWin.0.log, but .xsession-errors
says, "fbpanel: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on
X server :0.".  But this only appears after I've exited the server, so
maybe it's normal.

Finally, ~/.config/fbpanel/multiwindow exists but is empty.

Ken