* [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: xinit-1.3.4-1 (Major overhaul of X session handling)
@ 2014-11-28  3:04 Yaakov Selkowitz
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Yaakov Selkowitz @ 2014-11-28  3:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

The following package has been updated in the Cygwin distribution:

* xinit-1.3.4-1

xinit contains commands used for starting X sessions.

This is an update to the latest upstream release, and includes a number
of major changes to X session handling:

* startxwin is now a shell script instead of an executable; if you have
any homemade links thereto, be sure to remember the .exe extension.

* startxwin now automatically finds an unused DISPLAY number, just like
startx.

* startxwin now includes a default startxwinrc (if ~/.startxwinrc is
absent) which launches a number of applicable "autostart" session
services if present.

* The new default startxwinrc also launches a miniature fbpanel in the
upper left corner of the screen which contains an XDG application menu
(the 'X' icon) for launching X applications, plus an on-demand area for
X tray icons.  After the first run, the panel and menu can be customized
in ~/.config/fbpanel/multiwindow.

* User-defined ~/.startxwinrc files must now be executable, the final
command therein must be run in the foreground, and that command's
exiting will end the X session, just like with startx and ~/.xinitrc or
~/.Xclients.

* Both startx and startxwin now start a D-Bus session bus automatically.

* X sessions (both multwindow and desktop) started with the newly
revised Start Menu shortcuts now log stderr to ~/.xsession-errors.

* startx now prefers ~/.Xclients (which must also be executable) instead
of ~/.xinitrc; the latter can still be used, but doing so will override
many of the new features mentioned here.

* If startx is run from the command line and neither ~/.xinitrc nor
~/.Xclients are present, it will try to start a real desktop environment
if present before falling back to twm/xterm.

* startx and startxwin now pass '-nolisten tcp' to the server by
default, which increases security in the X server by not opening a port
to TCP connections.  The '-listen' flag can be passed as a server
argument to override this.

--
Yaakov
Cygwin/X

* Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: xinit-1.3.4-1 (Major overhaul of X session handling)
@ 2014-11-28  8:45 ` Marco Atzeri
From: Marco Atzeri @ 2014-11-28  8:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

On 11/28/2014 4:03 AM, Yaakov Selkowitz wrote:
> The following package has been updated in the Cygwin distribution:
>
> * xinit-1.3.4-1
>
> xinit contains commands used for starting X sessions.

noticed this new warning
xinit: XFree86_VT property unexpectedly has 0 items instead of 1

For what I see there is no XFree86_VT setting anywhere

Ideas ?

Marco

* Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: xinit-1.3.4-1 (Major overhaul of X session handling)
@ 2014-11-28 11:54   ` Jon TURNEY
From: Jon TURNEY @ 2014-11-28 11:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree; +Cc: marco.atzeri

On 28/11/2014 08:45, Marco Atzeri wrote:
> On 11/28/2014 4:03 AM, Yaakov Selkowitz wrote:
>> The following package has been updated in the Cygwin distribution:
>>
>> * xinit-1.3.4-1
>>
>> xinit contains commands used for starting X sessions.
>>

> noticed this new warning
> xinit: XFree86_VT property unexpectedly has 0 items instead of 1
>
> For what I see there is no XFree86_VT setting anywhere

xinit has been emitting this warning for a long time, it's just now you
see it with startxwin.

It's entirely safe to ignore, but I guess we should do something to
quench that warning to prevent confusion and alarm...

--
Jon TURNEY
Volunteer Cygwin/X X Server maintainer

* Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: xinit-1.3.4-1 (Major overhaul of X session handling)
@ 2014-11-28 22:53 ` Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2014-11-28 22:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

On 11/27/2014 10:03 PM, Yaakov Selkowitz wrote:
> * The new default startxwinrc also launches a miniature fbpanel in the
> upper left corner of the screen which contains an XDG application menu
> (the 'X' icon) for launching X applications, plus an on-demand area for
> X tray icons.  After the first run, the panel and menu can be customized
> in ~/.config/fbpanel/multiwindow.

This is not working well for me.  I've tested on both 32-bit and 64-bit
Cygwin with no .startxwinrc and no .[xX]* files, and I've tested on two
different computers (both running Windows 7).  I started the X server
via the new start menu shortcut.

What happens is that a band appears across the bottom of the screen
(full width), hiding about 2/3 of the taskbar.  This makes it impossible
to access the icons on the right side of the taskbar.  Also, there's no
X icon in the upper left corner of the screen.  But there is a large X
icon in the taskbar, partially visible above the band, and when I mouse
over it, I see a little window that says "X panel".  Closing this window
makes the band go away.  So I guess this band is the miniature fbpanel
referred to above, but it's appearing in the wrong place.

I don't see anything suspicious in XWin.0.log, but .xsession-errors
says, "fbpanel: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on
X server :0.".  But this only appears after I've exited the server, so
maybe it's normal.

Finally, ~/.config/fbpanel/multiwindow exists but is empty.

Ken

* Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: xinit-1.3.4-1 (Major overhaul of X session handling)
@ 2014-11-29  2:05 ` Nem W Schlecht
From: Nem W Schlecht @ 2014-11-29  2:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

In reference to:

    * User-defined ~/.startxwinrc files must now be executable, the
final command therein must be run in the
    foreground, and that command's exiting will end the X session,
just like with startx and ~/.xinitrc or
    ~/.Xclients.

In most UNIX systems, this last command would be the window manager.
I'm not liking fbpanel (although I will give it a try) and I don't
like using an XTerm as my "last" command, since I often close/reopen
them all when making changes to my .bashrc/.bash_profile.

Are there any suggestions from the list for some *other* program that
won't use any resources that I can use as my final foreground command?
 I don't want it to do anything, just not let X11 exit.

On Thu, Nov 27, 2014 at 9:03 PM, Yaakov Selkowitz <yselkowitz@cygwin.com> wrote:
> The following package has been updated in the Cygwin distribution:
>
> * xinit-1.3.4-1
>
> xinit contains commands used for starting X sessions.
>
> This is an update to the latest upstream release, and includes a number of
> major changes to X session handling:
>
> * startxwin is now a shell script instead of an executable; if you have any
> homemade links thereto, be sure to remember the .exe extension.
>
> * startxwin now automatically finds an unused DISPLAY number, just like
> startx.
>
> * startxwin now includes a default startxwinrc (if ~/.startxwinrc is absent)
> which launches a number of applicable "autostart" session services if
> present.
>
> * The new default startxwinrc also launches a miniature fbpanel in the upper
> left corner of the screen which contains an XDG application menu (the 'X'
> icon) for launching X applications, plus an on-demand area for X tray icons.
> After the first run, the panel and menu can be customized in
> ~/.config/fbpanel/multiwindow.
>
> * User-defined ~/.startxwinrc files must now be executable, the final
> command therein must be run in the foreground, and that command's exiting
> will end the X session, just like with startx and ~/.xinitrc or ~/.Xclients.
>
> * Both startx and startxwin now start a D-Bus session bus automatically.
>
> * X sessions (both multwindow and desktop) started with the newly revised
> Start Menu shortcuts now log stderr to ~/.xsession-errors.
>
> * startx now prefers ~/.Xclients (which must also be executable) instead of
> ~/.xinitrc; the latter can still be used, but doing so will override many of
> the new features mentioned here.
>
> * If startx is run from the command line and neither ~/.xinitrc nor
> ~/.Xclients are present, it will try to start a real desktop environment if
> present before falling back to twm/xterm.
>
> * startx and startxwin now pass '-nolisten tcp' to the server by default,
> which increases security in the X server by not opening a port to TCP
> connections.  The '-listen' flag can be passed as a server argument to
> override this.
>
> --
> Yaakov
> Cygwin/X
>
> --

Nem W Schlecht                   nem@emptec.com
Empyreal Technologies    http://www.emptec.com/
 "Perl did the magic.  I just waved the wand."

* Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: xinit-1.3.4-1 (Major overhaul of X session handling)
@ 2014-11-29  2:46   ` Marco Atzeri
From: Marco Atzeri @ 2014-11-29  2:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

On 11/29/2014 3:05 AM, Nem W Schlecht wrote:
> In reference to:
>
>      * User-defined ~/.startxwinrc files must now be executable, the
> final command therein must be run in the
>      foreground, and that command's exiting will end the X session,
> just like with startx and ~/.xinitrc or
>      ~/.Xclients.
>
> In most UNIX systems, this last command would be the window manager.
> I'm not liking fbpanel (although I will give it a try) and I don't
> like using an XTerm as my "last" command, since I often close/reopen
> them all when making changes to my .bashrc/.bash_profile.
>
> Are there any suggestions from the list for some *other* program that
> won't use any resources that I can use as my final foreground command?
>   I don't want it to do anything, just not let X11 exit.

xclock and xeye should be light enough

Regards
Marco

* Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: xinit-1.3.4-1 (Major overhaul of X session handling)
@ 2014-11-29 20:19     ` Nem W Schlecht
From: Nem W Schlecht @ 2014-11-29 20:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Yes, but both of those are applications that have an icon, display a
window, etc.  I don't want any of that.  I just want X11 to *not*
launch fbpanel and to *not* quit.  For now, I've settled on just
calling 'sleep' for 10 years.

For now, I've settled on

--
Nem W Schlecht

* Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: xinit-1.3.4-1 (Major overhaul of X session handling)
@ 2014-11-30  4:02   ` Yaakov Selkowitz
From: Yaakov Selkowitz @ 2014-11-30  4:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

On 2014-11-28 16:53, Ken Brown wrote:
> On 11/27/2014 10:03 PM, Yaakov Selkowitz wrote:
>> * The new default startxwinrc also launches a miniature fbpanel in the
>> upper left corner of the screen which contains an XDG application menu
>> (the 'X' icon) for launching X applications, plus an on-demand area for
>> X tray icons.  After the first run, the panel and menu can be customized
>> in ~/.config/fbpanel/multiwindow.
>
> This is not working well for me.  I've tested on both 32-bit and 64-bit
> Cygwin with no .startxwinrc and no .[xX]* files, and I've tested on two
> different computers (both running Windows 7).  I started the X server
> via the new start menu shortcut.
>
> What happens is that a band appears across the bottom of the screen
> (full width), hiding about 2/3 of the taskbar.  This makes it impossible
> to access the icons on the right side of the taskbar.  Also, there's no
> X icon in the upper left corner of the screen.  But there is a large X
> icon in the taskbar, partially visible above the band, and when I mouse
> over it, I see a little window that says "X panel".  Closing this window
> makes the band go away.  So I guess this band is the miniature fbpanel
> referred to above, but it's appearing in the wrong place.

It does sound that way.

> Finally, ~/.config/fbpanel/multiwindow exists but is empty.

I can't reproduce this.  Do you have fbpanel-6.1-4?  (The earlier
releases from Ports do not include the multiwindow profile.)  If you rm
~/.config/fbpanel/multiwindow, does it work after that?   If not, if you
'cp -f /usr/share/fbpanel/multiwindow ~/.config/fbpanel/', does it work
then?

--
Yaakov

* Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: xinit-1.3.4-1 (Major overhaul of X session handling)
@ 2014-11-30  6:36     ` Nem W Schlecht
From: Nem W Schlecht @ 2014-11-30  6:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

I had never used/run/heard of fbpanel before this release.  I was
seeing the same blank bar and had to do as you suggested:

cp -f /usr/share/fbpanel/multiwindow ~/.config/fbpanel/

To get anything useful.  Might want to add this command as part of the
installation process (with a simple file check to make sure
~/.config/fbpanel/multiwndow doesn't exist before copying, of course).

On Sat, Nov 29, 2014 at 10:02 PM, Yaakov Selkowitz

@ 2014-11-30  7:45       ` Yaakov Selkowitz
From: Yaakov Selkowitz @ 2014-11-30  7:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

On 2014-11-30 00:36, Nem W Schlecht wrote:
> I had never used/run/heard of fbpanel before this release.  I was
> seeing the same blank bar and had to do as you suggested:
>
> cp -f /usr/share/fbpanel/multiwindow ~/.config/fbpanel/
>
> To get anything useful.  Might want to add this command as part of the
> installation process (with a simple file check to make sure
> ~/.config/fbpanel/multiwndow doesn't exist before copying, of course).

I was about to say that fbpanel handles this itself (see
/usr/libexec/fbpanel/make_profile).  But looking at the code, I think I
see what may be happening.  If you have *none* of the following in your
PATH:

firefox
gnome-terminal
opera
pcmanfm
rox (rox-filer)
urxvt (rxvt-unicode)
thunar

then by mistake it results in a syntax error with sed, which ends up
making an empty profile.

I just uploaded fbpanel-6.1-5 to sourceware; once it hits the mirrors
and you install it, please remove your empty
~/.config/fbpanel/multiwindow and it should work as designed.

--
Yaakov

* Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: xinit-1.3.4-1 (Major overhaul of X session handling)
@ 2014-11-30 13:57         ` Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2014-11-30 13:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

On 11/30/2014 2:44 AM, Yaakov Selkowitz wrote:
> On 2014-11-30 00:36, Nem W Schlecht wrote:
>> I had never used/run/heard of fbpanel before this release.  I was
>> seeing the same blank bar and had to do as you suggested:
>>
>> cp -f /usr/share/fbpanel/multiwindow ~/.config/fbpanel/
>>
>> To get anything useful.  Might want to add this command as part of the
>> installation process (with a simple file check to make sure
>> ~/.config/fbpanel/multiwndow doesn't exist before copying, of course).
>
> I was about to say that fbpanel handles this itself (see
> /usr/libexec/fbpanel/make_profile).  But looking at the code, I think I
> see what may be happening.  If you have *none* of the following in your
> PATH:
>
> firefox
> gnome-terminal
> opera
> pcmanfm
> rox (rox-filer)
> urxvt (rxvt-unicode)
> thunar
>
> then by mistake it results in a syntax error with sed, which ends up
> making an empty profile.
>
> I just uploaded fbpanel-6.1-5 to sourceware; once it hits the mirrors
> and you install it, please remove your empty
> ~/.config/fbpanel/multiwindow and it should work as designed.

That fixed it.  Thanks.

Ken

* Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: xinit-1.3.4-1 (Major overhaul of X session handling)
@ 2014-12-01 18:15           ` Jim Reisert AD1C
From: Jim Reisert AD1C @ 2014-12-01 18:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

I can't seem to make this work from a clean install.  I am using
Cygwin 1.7.34 (the latest one with the GID/UID changes).  Xwin starts
briefly, then dies.  Here are the contents .xsession-errors:

$ cat .xsession-errors
Warning: Missing charsets in String to FontSet conversion
      0 [main] fbpanel 6172 child_info_fork::abort:
C:\Cygwin\bin\cyggtk-x11-2.0-0.dll: Loaded to different address:
parent(0x8D0000) != child(0x970000)
Can't open profile multiwindow - /home/reisert/.config/fbpanel/multiwindow

Is the warning something to worry about?

--
Jim Reisert AD1C, <jjreisert@alum.mit.edu>, http://www.ad1c.us

* Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: xinit-1.3.4-1 (Major overhaul of X session handling)
@ 2014-12-01 18:16             ` Jim Reisert AD1C
From: Jim Reisert AD1C @ 2014-12-01 18:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

> $ cat .xsession-errors
> Warning: Missing charsets in String to FontSet conversion
>       0 [main] fbpanel 6172 child_info_fork::abort:
> C:\Cygwin\bin\cyggtk-x11-2.0-0.dll: Loaded to different address:
> parent(0x8D0000) != child(0x970000)
> Can't open profile multiwindow - /home/reisert/.config/fbpanel/multiwindow

Duh.   Running "rebaseall" seems to have fixed it.

- Jim

--

@ 2014-12-05 13:35       ` Jon TURNEY
From: Jon TURNEY @ 2014-12-05 13:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

On 29/11/2014 20:19, Nem W Schlecht wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 28, 2014 at 8:46 PM, Marco Atzeri wrote:
>> On 11/29/2014 3:05 AM, Nem W Schlecht wrote:
>>> * User-defined ~/.startxwinrc files must now be executable, the
>>> final command therein must be run in the foreground, and that
>>> command's exiting will end the X session, just like with startx
>>> and ~/.xinitrc or ~/.Xclients.
>>>
>>> In most UNIX systems, this last command would be the window manager.
>>> I'm not liking fbpanel (although I will give it a try) and I don't
>>> like using an XTerm as my "last" command, since I often close/reopen
>>> them all when making changes to my .bashrc/.bash_profile.
>>>
>>> Are there any suggestions from the list for some *other* program that
>>> won't use any resources that I can use as my final foreground command?
>>>    I don't want it to do anything, just not let X11 exit.
 >
 > I just want X11 to *not*
 > launch fbpanel and to *not* quit.  For now, I've settled on just
 > calling 'sleep' for 10 years.

If you previously had an empty ~/.startxwinrc, I'd suggest putting
'sleep infinity' or even 'exec sleep infinity' into it.

--

@ 2014-12-05 14:51         ` Nem W Schlecht
From: Nem W Schlecht @ 2014-12-05 14:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

My solution was to write a quick C program that does nothing but block
on waiting to receive any signal.  I named it 'xnoexit' and I call it
from my .startxwinrc script in my home directory.  It's been working
well for me.   Sorry - I'm extra picky.  I didn't like seeing a
'sleep' in my 'ps' list.  Now I see 'xnoexit' and I know exactly
what's going on. :)

-----------cut
#include <signal.h>
main (argc, argv) int argv; int *argc[];
{
    sigset_t myset;
    (void) sigemptyset(&myset);
    while (1) {
        (void) sigsuspend(&myset);
-----------cut

@ 2014-11-30  0:18 Angelo Graziosi
From: Angelo Graziosi @ 2014-11-30  0:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree, nem

Nem W Schlecht wrote:
> Yes, but both of those are applications that have an icon, display a
> window, etc.  I don't want any of that.  I just want X11 to *not*
> launch fbpanel and to *not* quit.

I don't know if the following can help..

For years I start the X server with a link whose target is:

C:\cygwin64\bin\run.exe --quote bash -l -c "rm -rf /tmp/.X*; XWin
-multiwindow -clipboard -silent-dup-error 2>/dev/null &"

and the "From" field:  C:\cygwin64\home\$USER

I created it with a script like this

MKSHORTCUT=`which mkshortcut 2> /dev/null`
RUN=`which run 2> /dev/null`
XWINEXE=`which XWin 2> /dev/null`
XWINEXE="${XWINEXE}.exe"

xwin_link()
{
     echo
     echo -n "Creating XWin desktop link..."

     local xwin_exe_ico="${XWINEXE}"
     local xwin="XWin Server"
     local xwin_cmd="rm -rf /tmp/.X*;"
     xwin_cmd+=" XWin -multiwindow -clipboard"
     xwin_cmd+=" -silent-dup-error 2>/dev/null &"

     ${MKSHORTCUT} \
         -a "--quote bash -l -c \"${xwin_cmd}\"" \
         -d "XWin Server" \
         -i "${xwin_exe_ico}" \
         -n "${xwin}" \
         -w "${HOME}" \
         ${RUN}
     echo "done."
}

xwin_link

Now, on W7, I have it on the Applications Bar, and start the x server
manually. On XP, I had it in Start - Automatic Run, and the X server
started with Windows..

Ciao,
  Angelo.