* Re: 64-bit xfree86 failing
@ 2014-12-01 16:35 Tim Kingman
From: Tim Kingman @ 2014-12-01 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

I see the same issue, and it looks like this is because I have an
empty (commented-out) ~/.startxwinrc

Removing this file causes X to open and start an xterm, probably
because it broke several of the new rules in
https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-xfree/2014-11/msg00029.html :
* User-defined ~/.startxwinrc files must now be executable, the final
command therein must be run in the foreground, and that command's
exiting will end the X session, just like with startx and ~/.xinitrc
or ~/.Xclients.

This causes another problem for me because my .bashrc calls startxwin
to make sure I always have an X server running ( per
http://stackoverflow.com/a/9301966 ), and then I get caught in a loop
of launching new X servers infinitely (probably from startxwin now
finding a new DISPLAY, and if I specify both :0 and -silent-dup-error,
XWin still writes an error to the console that display 0 is already
active, and displays a Windows dialog with an error about not being
able to move XWin.0.log to XWin.0.log.old ).

I'll keep playing with this to see if I can come up with a solution to
duplicate my previous behavior: Any new bash shell makes sure that X
is running, with no X apps running, and only one X is running, and new
shells don't pop up any "display already exists" errors.

Thanks,
Tim