* xf86-video-nested HOWTO or FAQ?
@ 2014-12-05 16:36 Bob Cunningham
From: Bob Cunningham @ 2014-12-05 16:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Hi,

I've seen the announcements that xf86-video-nested is included in
CygwinX, and is intended to replace Xnest/Xephyr.  But nowhere have I
(well, google) been able to find instructions on how to actually
accomplish this within the Cygwin environment.

Has anyone actually successfully done this?  Or is it a work-in-progress
that isn't yet ready for end-users?

TIA,

-BobC

* Re: xf86-video-nested HOWTO or FAQ?
@ 2014-12-05 16:47 ` Bob Cunningham
From: Bob Cunningham @ 2014-12-05 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Wouldn't you know it: Moments after hitting send, I found
"/usr/share/doc/xf86-video-nested/README" on my local system.

Looking through it now.

-BobC

@ 2014-12-05 17:32   ` rcunningham
From: rcunningham @ 2014-12-05 17:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

OK, the README says to use this line:

     X -config my.conf -noreset -retro :1

but Cygwin X doesn't support the "-config" option.

Any recommendations for how to make this work?

TIA,

-BobC

@ 2014-12-05 18:50     ` Yaakov Selkowitz
From: Yaakov Selkowitz @ 2014-12-05 18:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

On 2014-12-05 11:32, rcunningham wrote:
> OK, the README says to use this line:
>
>      X -config my.conf -noreset -retro :1
>
> but Cygwin X doesn't support the "-config" option.
>
> Any recommendations for how to make this work?

/usr/bin/X is a symlink to the native DDX.  On Linux this is Xorg, but
on Cygwin this is XWin.  The xf86-* plugins are meant for the former, so
you will need to call Xorg instead.

--
Yaakov