From: Jon TURNEY <jon.turney@dronecode.org.uk>
To: cygwin-xfree@cygwin.com
Cc: paxguy@yahoo.com
Subject: Re: remote xterm's can't open display after upgrade
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2014 19:14:00 -0000	[thread overview]

On 11/12/2014 18:31, Don Webster wrote:
> I needed to upgrade gs to gs 9.15, so I ran setup yesterday. It
> wanted to update a whole bunch of stuff, including X. OK, fine, I
> hadn't updated cygwin in quite a while, and I had other stuff to do.
>
> After the upgrade, I can't display remote xterms. OK, my old X
> shortcut didn't work, but I found "XWin Server" and pinned it to my
> task bar. I launch that and I have the X server running, and a local
> xterm pops up. I ssh into my linux server, and run my xterm, and get
> "can't open display". I did these steps.
>
> - turned off my Windows Firewall (I am on a safe, local network). -
> launched XWin Server.
>
> In the xterm that popped up:
> dcw@dcwdt02 ~
> $ xhost +
> access control disabled, clients can connect from any host
>
> dcw@dcwdt02 ~
> $ ssh centos6
> Last login: Wed Dec 10 16:31:16 2014 from dcwdt02
> centos6% setenv DISPLAY 10.11.22.33:0.0    # I use tcsh
> centos6% xterm
> xterm Xt error: Can't open display: 10.11.22.33:0.0
> centos6%
>
> Is there something obvious?

https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-xfree/2014-11/msg00029.html

The relevant part is "startx and startxwin now pass '-nolisten tcp' to
the server by default, which increases security in the X server by not
opening a port to TCP connections. The '-listen' flag can be passed as a
server argument to override this."

Your choices are to add the '-listen' flag to the startxwin invocation,
or (better) to use 'ssh -Y' and not explicitly set DISPLAY (See
http://x.cygwin.com/docs/ug/using-remote-apps.html#using-remote-apps-ssh)

--
Jon TURNEY
Volunteer Cygwin/X X Server maintainer