* Cygwin, Python Anaconda 32-bit, Google Cloud SDK: Issues with Python functionality inside of Cygwi
@ 2015-02-03  3:43 mjmv
From: mjmv @ 2015-02-03  3:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Hello,

I am new to Cygwin, and am not sure what to make of my current issue regarding Python and, ultimately, Google Cloud's SDK and bdutl package, required for me to deploy a Hortonworks platform Hadoop/Apache toolkit NoSQL db et al.
When I went to install Cygwin, I did not see an option for Python 2.7, which is what the GC SDK requires (more specifically, 2.7 32-bit).  As such, I installed an Anaconda distro version.  After fighting with Cygwin to use this install as my Python of choice for Cygwin applications (I ended up actually having to delete from my environmental variables reference to the native 64-bit version I usually use, as modifications to the $PATH did not change anything), I am left with a half-functional version of Python, and non-functional GC SDK.

Pasted below are snippets from my terminal sessions.  If anyone can make sense of this, and point me in the direction of resolving the issue(s), I will be very greatful.

Mersee

--FIRST, MAKE SURE PYTHONPATH IS CORRECT
MJ@Speed_rAcer ~
$ which python
/cygdrive/c/Users/MJ/Anaconda/python

--NEXT SHOW THAT I AM IN THE CYGWIN HOME DIR
MJ@Speed_rAcer ~
$ pwd
/cygdrive/c/Users/MJ/home

--NEXT TEST A PYTHON SCRIPT
MJ@Speed_rAcer ~
$ python test.py
this is a test
i am inside the home directory for cygwin

--NEXT, UPDATE CONDA (should work since Cygwin is using the conda Python...but doesn't)
MJ@Speed_rAcer ~
$ conda update conda
-bash: conda: command not found

***---NEXT, SEE IF GOOGLE CLOUD SDK WORKING---***

--INSIDE FOLDER WITH PYTHON SCRIPTS
MJ@Speed_rAcer ~/google-cloud-sdk/bin/bootstrapping
$ ls
__init__.py        bq.py      install.py         setup.py
bootstrapping.py   gcutil.py  prerun.py          setup.pyc
bootstrapping.pyc  gsutil.py  print_env_info.py

--RUNS PYTHON SCRIPT (install.py).  HOWEVER, DIDN'T LET ME PICK Y OR N BUT SAYS IT'S CONFIGURED
MJ@Speed_rAcer ~/google-cloud-sdk/bin/bootstrapping
$ python install.py
Do you want to help improve the Google Cloud SDK (Y/n)?
All components are up to date.
Update %PATH% to include Cloud SDK binaries? (Y/n)?

The Google Cloud SDK is currently in developer preview. To help improve the
quality of this product, we collect anonymized data on how the SDK is used.
You may choose to opt out of this collection now (by choosing 'N' at the below
prompt), or at any time in the future by running the following command:
    gcloud config set --scope=user disable_usage_reporting true
This will install all the core command line tools necessary for working with
the Google Cloud Platform.

The following directory has been added to your PATH.
  C:\Users\MJ\home\google-cloud-sdk\bin

Create a new command shell for the changes to take effect.
For more information on how to get started, please visit:
 insert URL that keeps my messages from being posted

***---NEW SHELL---***

--SHOWING COMMANDS I SHOULD BE ABLE TO RUN (first is gcloud. cmd)
MJ@Speed_rAcer ~/google-cloud-sdk/bin
$ ls
bootstrapping  gcloud - Copy.cmd  gcutil.cmd                 gsutil.cmd
bq.cmd         gcloud.cmd         git-credential-gcloud.cmd  sdk

--TRY ONE TO EXECUTE COMMAND
$ ./gcloud auth login
-bash: ./gcloud: No such file or directory

--TRY TWO TO EXECUTE COMMAND
MJ@Speed_rAcer ~/google-cloud-sdk/bin
$ gcloud auth login
-bash: gcloud: command not found

* Re: Cygwin, Python Anaconda 32-bit, Google Cloud SDK: Issues with Python functionality inside of Cygwi
@ 2015-02-03 23:13 ` David Stacey
From: David Stacey @ 2015-02-03 23:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

On 03/02/15 03:43, mjmv wrote:
> When I went to install Cygwin, I did not see an option for Python 2.7, which is what the GC SDK requires (more specifically, 2.7 32-bit).

32-bit Cygwin has python 2.7.8, which should work with Google Cloud SDK.
You can select this by searching for 'python' on the package selection
page of the Cygwin installer - or you can find it by expanding the
'Python' group on the same page.

According to the Google Cloud SDK docs [1], you will also require
openssh and curl.

Hope this helps,

Dave.

[1] - https://cloud.google.com/sdk/ - See 'Alternative methods' tab.