* Cygwin XWin 1.17.1 crash at startup
@ 2015-03-31 20:31 Michel Poirier
From: Michel Poirier @ 2015-03-31 20:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Dear Cygwin maintainer

Since last X-Cygwin update several of my X-Win applications are not
working properly.

Googling "cygwin xorg 1.17 crash" gave many posts reporting probably
similar issues but I couldn't find a fix for the error. I also looked at
the Cygwin-FAQ and mailing list without real success.

The issue appeared using a long-time tested DOS script launching xmgrace
which failed with a message telling "A fatal error has occurred and
Cygwin/X will now exit." And other XWin programs were not working
properly. So I tried to make a fresh install of X-Cygwin (32 bits) on
another computer and went through the procedure explained on page

http://x.cygwin.com/devel/backtrace.html

which produced the debug info attached as "backtrace for X server
crashing at startup.txt". The X Server crashed when the r command was
launched and a copy of the Windows error message is provided at "Capture
of Windows error message.txt". I checked that no other X Server was then
running and clicked Ok button to finish the procedure.

The content of the file /var/log/xwin/XWin.0.log is listed at the end of
the first attached file.

I also tried to install the most recent xlaunch program as suggested here

https://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-xfree/2015-02/msg00089.html

but it did not solve the issue.

Sorry for asking something that might be FAQ but as I told I could not
find a clear answer elsewhere and indeed xlaunch reproduced the error
consistently.

Thanking you in advance for your assistance, and of course for providing
this invaluable software that is cygwin.

Regards

--
Michel Poirier
CEA, IRAMIS