From: Jon TURNEY <jon.turney@dronecode.org.uk>
To: cygwin-xfree@cygwin.com
Cc: michel.poirier@cea.fr
Subject: Re: Cygwin XWin 1.17.1 crash at startup
Date: Wed, 01 Apr 2015 14:32:00 -0000	[thread overview]

On 31/03/2015 19:36, Michel Poirier wrote:
> Since last X-Cygwin update several of my X-Win applications are not
> working properly.
>
> Googling "cygwin xorg 1.17 crash" gave many posts reporting probably
> similar issues but I couldn't find a fix for the error. I also looked at
> the Cygwin-FAQ and mailing list without real success.
>
> The issue appeared using a long-time tested DOS script launching xmgrace
> which failed with a message telling "A fatal error has occurred and
> Cygwin/X will now exit." And other XWin programs were not working
> properly. So I tried to make a fresh install of X-Cygwin (32 bits) on
> another computer and went through the procedure explained on page

Can you be a bit more specific than "not working properly", please?

I made a brief test with xmgrace, and I wasn't able to observe any
problems.  Is there some specific option or action in xmgrace which
causes this crash?

> http://x.cygwin.com/devel/backtrace.html

Would it be possible for you to try the "a backtrace when some specific
action is making the X server crash" method on the machine which shows
the crash?

> which produced the debug info attached as "backtrace for X server
> crashing at startup.txt". The X Server crashed when the r command was
> launched and a copy of the Windows error message is provided at "Capture
> of Windows error message.txt". I checked that no other X Server was then
> running and clicked Ok button to finish the procedure.

Thanks for attempting this.

Unfortunately, this looks like the server refusing to start as one is
already running.  If there really isn't one running, this looks like a
different problem.

--
Jon TURNEY
Volunteer Cygwin/X X Server maintainer