* Some changed behaviors ...
@ 2015-06-04  1:42 Eliot Moss
From: Eliot Moss @ 2015-06-04  1:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Dear Jon (et al.) -- I just updated to the latest XWin and got some
different behaviors:

- In my .XWinrc file I was using MINIMIZE in the STYLES.  This now seems
   to permanently iconize a window.  If I click on the icon, it briefly
   flahses large and then iconizes again.

- When using -geometry (with xemacs in particular), the height of the
   screen seems different, and if I change the geometry height by 1, the
   height of the window does not change by 1 -- it either doesn't change,
   or changes by more than one.

In the process of playing with this I solved a long-standing mystery to
me: -iconic never worked for me on xemacs.  It turns out that it works
if I place it *first* among the command line flags, but it does not work
when placed last.  Maybe -geometry overrides it?  Anyway, it strikes me
as odd, but at least it works now.

My workaround for the MINIMIZE thing was to use -iconic on the particular
windows instead -- it does what I want anyway.  But I thought you'd want
to know about MINIMIZE being weird.  Not sure what happened with the height
thing ...

Regards -- Eliot Moss

* Re: Some changed behaviors ...
@ 2015-07-02 23:27 ` Jon TURNEY
From: Jon TURNEY @ 2015-07-02 23:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree; +Cc: moss

On 04/06/2015 02:41, Eliot Moss wrote:
> I just updated to the latest XWin and got some
> different behaviors:
>
> - In my .XWinrc file I was using MINIMIZE in the STYLES.  This now seems
>    to permanently iconize a window.  If I click on the icon, it briefly
>    flahses large and then iconizes again.

Thanks for reporting this.

This regression seems to be a side-effect of the change I made in 1.17.1-5.

If you would like to try it, I made a snapshot which hopefully fixes
this without breaking anything else, but when working on this code I
always get the feeling that something else is going to unravel when I
pull on one of the loose ends :)

ftp://cygwin.com/pub/cygwinx/x86/XWin.20150702-git-b872b0571855112c.exe.bz2
ftp://cygwin.com/pub/cygwinx/x86_64/XWin.20150702-git-b872b0571855112c.exe.bz2

> - When using -geometry (with xemacs in particular), the height of the
>    screen seems different, and if I change the geometry height by 1, the
>    height of the window does not change by 1 -- it either doesn't change,
>    or changes by more than one.

Hmmm.... I think that the size of the emacs window is (or at least,
should be) constrained so it can only change by a whole character?

Can you give a bit more detail e.g. what version you were using
previously, the geometry you are requesting and the actual size of the
window as reported by xwininfo?

--
Jon TURNEY
Volunteer Cygwin/X X Server maintainer

* Re: Some changed behaviors ...
@ 2015-07-04 17:57   ` Eliot Moss
From: Eliot Moss @ 2015-07-04 17:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

On 7/2/2015 7:27 PM, Jon TURNEY wrote:
> On 04/06/2015 02:41, Eliot Moss wrote:
>> I just updated to the latest XWin and got some
>> different behaviors:
>>
>> - In my .XWinrc file I was using MINIMIZE in the STYLES.  This now seems
>>    to permanently iconize a window.  If I click on the icon, it briefly
>>    flahses large and then iconizes again.
>
> Thanks for reporting this.
>
> This regression seems to be a side-effect of the change I made in 1.17.1-5.
>
> If you would like to try it, I made a snapshot which hopefully fixes this without breaking anything
> else, but when working on this code I always get the feeling that something else is going to unravel
> when I pull on one of the loose ends :)
>
> ftp://cygwin.com/pub/cygwinx/x86/XWin.20150702-git-b872b0571855112c.exe.bz2
> ftp://cygwin.com/pub/cygwinx/x86_64/XWin.20150702-git-b872b0571855112c.exe.bz2

I run 32-bit, so I tested only that, but MINIMIZE in STYLE now works!
Hooray!  This is the first time that emacs has properly minimized on
startup and properly un-minimized when first clicked!

>> - When using -geometry (with xemacs in particular), the height of the
>>    screen seems different, and if I change the geometry height by 1, the
>>    height of the window does not change by 1 -- it either doesn't change,
>>    or changes by more than one.
>
> Hmmm.... I think that the size of the emacs window is (or at least, should be) constrained so it can
> only change by a whole character?
>
> Can you give a bit more detail e.g. what version you were using previously, the geometry you are
> requesting and the actual size of the window as reported by xwininfo?

Yes, the first two geometry measures for emacs are indeed in terms of characters.

Here is output when I request 110x64+0+0 on my laptop

xwininfo: Window id: 0xe00054 "xemacs"

   Absolute upper-left X:  9
   Absolute upper-left Y:  38
   Relative upper-left X:  9
   Relative upper-left Y:  38
   Width: 1103
   Height: 983
   Depth: 24
   Visual: 0x21
   Visual Class: TrueColor
   Border width: 0
   Class: InputOutput
   Colormap: 0x20 (installed)
   Bit Gravity State: NorthWestGravity
   Window Gravity State: NorthWestGravity
   Backing Store State: NotUseful
   Save Under State: no
   Map State: IsViewable
   Override Redirect State: no
   Corners:  +9+38  -808+38  -808-59  +9-59
   -geometry 108x64+9+38

This is from requesting 110x65+0+0:

xwininfo: Window id: 0xe00054 "xemacs"

   Absolute upper-left X:  9
   Absolute upper-left Y:  38
   Relative upper-left X:  9
   Relative upper-left Y:  38
   Width: 1103
   Height: 983
   Depth: 24
   Visual: 0x21
   Visual Class: TrueColor
   Border width: 0
   Class: InputOutput
   Colormap: 0x20 (installed)
   Bit Gravity State: NorthWestGravity
   Window Gravity State: NorthWestGravity
   Backing Store State: NotUseful
   Save Under State: no
   Map State: IsViewable
   Override Redirect State: no
   Corners:  +9+38  -808+38  -808-59  +9-59
   -geometry 108x64+9+38

And this from 110x66+0+0:

xwininfo: Window id: 0xe00054 "xemacs"

   Absolute upper-left X:  9
   Absolute upper-left Y:  38
   Relative upper-left X:  9
   Relative upper-left Y:  38
   Width: 1103
   Height: 983
   Depth: 24
   Visual: 0x21
   Visual Class: TrueColor
   Border width: 0
   Class: InputOutput
   Colormap: 0x20 (installed)
   Bit Gravity State: NorthWestGravity
   Window Gravity State: NorthWestGravity
   Backing Store State: NotUseful
   Save Under State: no
   Map State: IsViewable
   Override Redirect State: no
   Corners:  +9+38  -808+38  -808-59  +9-59
   -geometry 108x64+9+38

I verified that I was changing the right file by adjusting
the width to 80 instead of 110, and it changed.

If I take that 80x66+0+0 window and drag the bottom down to add
a line, we get this:

xwininfo: Window id: 0xe00054 "xemacs"

   Absolute upper-left X:  9
   Absolute upper-left Y:  38
   Relative upper-left X:  9
   Relative upper-left Y:  38
   Width: 803
   Height: 998
   Depth: 24
   Visual: 0x21
   Visual Class: TrueColor
   Border width: 0
   Class: InputOutput
   Colormap: 0x20 (installed)
   Bit Gravity State: NorthWestGravity
   Window Gravity State: NorthWestGravity
   Backing Store State: NotUseful
   Save Under State: no
   Map State: IsViewable
   Override Redirect State: no
   Corners:  +9+38  -1108+38  -1108-44  +9-44
   -geometry 78x65+9+38

(Curious that the 80 was not obeyed, huh?  There's plenty of
room in that dimension.)  The vertical dimension may get short-
changed because it pushes right up against the icon bar at the
bottom of the screen.  I guess emacs does its own mystical
adjustment of the parameters, given available font sizes, etc.
I don't think this is a Cygwin-X specific thing, but if you
have any additional thoughts, they're welcome!

Thanks, as always, for your work on X for cygwin!   Eliot