* Window manager commands in native window manager multiwindow mode
@ 2015-10-07 15:20 Gulliver Smith
From: Gulliver Smith @ 2015-10-07 15:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

I ask this question from time to time just in case someone new sees it
and decides to work on it or others might agree that it is a priority.
Other people have raised this over the last few years as well.

The issue is that I would like to raise windows from within a program
(Emacs to be precise), but it doesn't work with the native window
manager running in multiwindow mode.

Emacs has several nice commands for which I have not-so-nice work
arounds (opening and closing windows). These are:

(raise-frame f)
(iconify-frame f)
(decionify-frame f)
(make-frame-visible f)

None of these work with Cygwin X.

Thanks
Gulliver

* Re: Window manager commands in native window manager multiwindow mode
@ 2015-10-07 15:48 ` Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2015-10-07 15:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

On 10/7/2015 11:20 AM, Gulliver Smith wrote:
> I ask this question from time to time just in case someone new sees it
> and decides to work on it or others might agree that it is a priority.
> Other people have raised this over the last few years as well.
>
> The issue is that I would like to raise windows from within a program
> (Emacs to be precise), but it doesn't work with the native window
> manager running in multiwindow mode.
>
> Emacs has several nice commands for which I have not-so-nice work
> arounds (opening and closing windows). These are:
>
> (raise-frame f)
> (iconify-frame f)
> (decionify-frame f)
> (make-frame-visible f)
>
> None of these work with Cygwin X.

Please give a detailed recipe for reproducing the problem.  I just tried
the following:

1. Start the X server by running startxwin in a Cygwin Terminal (mintty).

2. Use the xdg menu icon to start xterm.

3. In xterm, run 'emacs&'.

4. In emacs, run 'M-x iconify-frame'.

The current frame did indeed get iconified, as expected.  I'm not sure
how to test the other commands.

Ken

P.S. The cygwin-xfree mailing list is obsolete.  You should use the main
cygwin mailing list in the future to make sure your mail is seen by the
maximum number of people.

* Re: Window manager commands in native window manager multiwindow mode
@ 2015-10-08 16:42   ` Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2015-10-08 16:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree, Gulliver Smith; +Cc: Jon Turney, Oliver Schmidt

On 10/7/2015 11:48 AM, Ken Brown wrote:
> On 10/7/2015 11:20 AM, Gulliver Smith wrote:
>> I ask this question from time to time just in case someone new sees it
>> and decides to work on it or others might agree that it is a priority.
>> Other people have raised this over the last few years as well.
>>
>> The issue is that I would like to raise windows from within a program
>> (Emacs to be precise), but it doesn't work with the native window
>> manager running in multiwindow mode.
>>
>> Emacs has several nice commands for which I have not-so-nice work
>> arounds (opening and closing windows). These are:
>>
>> (raise-frame f)
>> (iconify-frame f)
>> (decionify-frame f)
>> (make-frame-visible f)
>>
>> None of these work with Cygwin X.
>
> Please give a detailed recipe for reproducing the problem.

Never mind.  I searched the archive and found the details in an earlier
post of yours:

   https://sourceware.org/ml/cygwin-xfree/2011-08/msg00046.html

Here's what I found when I tried to reproduce the problem:

 >> (raise-frame f)

I agree that this doesn't work.  But there's a post by Oliver Schmidt
(https://sourceware.org/ml/cygwin-xfree/2011-08/msg00047.html)
purporting to have a fix for this.  There is later discussion in which
Jon Turney had some questions about the patch, but I didn't read all of
it.  Jon, was this ever resolved?

 >> (iconify-frame f)

This works.

 >> (decionify-frame f)

There's no such function in GNU emacs (even after correcting the obvious
typo).

 >> (make-frame-visible f)

This seems to be working.  Maybe you're misunderstanding what "visible"
means in this context (or maybe I am).  The frame is initially visible,
even if other windows are hiding it, as evidenced by the fact that
(frame-visible-p f) evaluates to something non-nil ('icon' if the frame
is iconified, 't' otherwise).  If I now make it invisible by evaluating
(make-frame-invisible f), both the frame and its icon disappear.
There's no way to bring it to the front by using Alt-Tab.  The frame and
icon reappear if I now evaluate (make-frame-visible f).

In summary, the only problem I see is with raise-frame, and maybe that
one is fixable.  We'll have to wait to hear from Jon and/or Oliver.

Ken

* Window manager commands in native window manager multiwindow mode
@ 2014-05-22 13:19 Gulliver Smith