* Re: Persistent CYGWIN/X server taskbar button with urxvt in CYGWIN-64, not rxvt in CYGWIN-32. Why?
@ 2015-12-02  0:17 John J Ottusch
From: John J Ottusch @ 2015-12-02  0:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

--

Makes sense that it could be run.exe behavior.

However, the version of run.exe from [2] (which is 220K in size vs. 68K
for the original version ?!?) does not seem to do anything. Running it
from a CMD window with urxvtermX.bat as the argument does not produce an
error message, a urxvt term, nothing.

BTW, I made an effort to give both versions of run.exe (I renamed the
new one runX.exe) the same ownership and permissions, but to no avail.

Am I missing something essential?

jjo

P.S. My apologies if this message is not properly threaded. I see how
one can post an original message from 'http://post.gmane.org/post.php?
group=gmane.os.cygwin.xfree', but not how one goes about replying to a
previously posted message.

* Persistent CYGWIN/X server taskbar button with urxvt in CYGWIN-64, not rxvt in CYGWIN-32. Why?
@ 2015-12-10  0:03 John J Ottusch
From: John J Ottusch @ 2015-12-10  0:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Thanks for the tip.

First of all, using 'strace' I determined that testing is not advisable
with the 'run.exe' executable named anything other than just 'run.exe'.
Renaming the executable to 'runX.exe' ends up being interpreted as 'run X'
and things go wrong from there.

The good news is that the version of 'run' Jon Turney provided does indeed
withhold taskbar display of the CMD window from which urxvtermX.bat is
run.

The bad news is that I have to execute the target
'C:\win64app\cygwin\bin\run.exe C:\win64app\cygwin\urxvtermX.bat' twice
(or sometimes more). The first time through starts up 'Cygwin/X
Server:0.0'. The second and any subsequent times it creates a new 'urxvt'
term.

jjo

* Persistent CYGWIN/X server taskbar button with urxvt in CYGWIN-64, not rxvt in CYGWIN-32. Why?
@ 2015-11-29  6:00 John J Ottusch
From: John J Ottusch @ 2015-11-29  6:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

I use CYGWIN a lot with 64-bit Windows 7 and have been transitioning
from 32-bit CYGWIN to 64-bit CYGWIN primarily in hopes of avoiding
repeated STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION errors.

If I could set up 64-bit CYGWIN (= C64) to behave exactly the same way
as my 32-bit CYGWIN (= C32) set up I would, but the applications don't
match up exactly and they don't behave exactly the same way.

One difference I notice is that opening a urxvt in C64 creates a
separate button associated with the Cygwin/X server process in the
taskbar, whereas opening an rxvt in C32 does not. (rxvt is not available
as a C64 application, but I would expect urxvt to operate similarly). In
both cases an icon for the Cygwin/X server process shows up in the
notification area.

Both are started from a Windows shortcut:

C32 target:
C:\win32app\cygwin\bin\run.exe C:\win32app\cygwin\rxvtermX.bat

C64 target:
C:\win64app\cygwin\bin\run.exe C:\win64app\cygwin\urxvtermX.bat

The batch files that run are similar. Both start 'XWin' if it is not
already running, then run 'rxvt/urxvt'.

Contents of 'rxvterm.bat' (C32):
=================================
@echo off
C:
chdir C:\win32app\cygwin\bin
ps -ef | grep /usr/bin/XWin > nul
if ERRORLEVEL 1 (
  start /DC:\win32app\cygwin\bin /B XWin -multiwindow
)
set DISPLAY=localhost:0.0
rxvt -fn 10x20 -sl 10000 +sr -fg yellow -bg navyblue -title "RXVTerm
w/X" -e /usr/bin/bash --login -i

Contents of 'urxvterm.bat' (C64):
=================================
@echo off
C:
chdir C:\win64app\cygwin\bin
ps -ef | grep /usr/bin/XWin > nul
if ERRORLEVEL 1 (
  start /DC:\win64app\cygwin\bin /B XWin -multiwindow
)
set DISPLAY=localhost:0.0
urxvt -fn 10x20 -sl 10000 +sr -fg yellow -bg navyblue -title "URXVTerm
w/X" -e /usr/bin/bash --login -i

I prefer NOT to have the taskbar button for the Cygwin/X server process
show up. Having an icon show up in the notification area is cleaner.

Why are they behaving differently? Is there a way to make the urxvt
version (C64) behave like the rxvt version (C32)?

John Ottusch