From: mathog <mathog@caltech.edu>
To: cygwin-xfree@cygwin.com
Subject: Re: new start method questions
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2016 00:55:00 -0000	[thread overview]

On 09-Jun-2016 16:32, mathog wrote:
> With an older version of Cygwin I had constructed a cut down
> distribution which included only the minimum pieces needed to run X11.
>  It was about 40Mb, installed.

This approach is not working well at all for the current release.  Last
time around I just tossed things into a folder to temporarily hide them,
and by process of elimination winnowed it down to that small size.  This
time there are many, many, MANY more dll's that are required for the
server to start, at least  via this method:

C:\cygwinX\bin\run.exe --quote /usr/bin/bash.exe -l -c "cd; exec
/usr/bin/startxwin"

For instance, cyggtk-x11-2.0.0.dll.  Take it out and the X11 server does
not start.
That dll, according to "ldd" has everything but the kitchen sink linked
into it.  It isn't linked directly into the server though, it is needed
for "xwin-xdg-menu.exe",
an accessory program, which if removed from /usr/bin, also results in
the server not starting.

Last time around the start bat script was just:

@echo off
set CYGXTOP=%~dp0
C:
chdir "%CYGXTOP%\var\log\xwin"
move XWin.0.log.1 XWin.0.log.2
move XWin.0.log XWin.0.log.1
chdir "%CYGXTOP%\bin"
start Xwin :0 -multiwindow

Is there some reason that a similar cut down bat file would not work
with the current cygwin X11 server? (With "-listen tcp" plus a windows
firewall rule to only let it
talk to localhost.)

Thanks,

David Mathog