* Cygwin 1.7 xterm
@ 2010-01-15 20:41 Jerry Lowry
From: Jerry Lowry @ 2010-01-15 20:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

After my last install of 1.7 software the X server does start and the
blank X windows do go away.  But when I start an Xterm the blank X
windows stay around.  Anyway to start Xterm with them going away once
started.  Also, the Xterm that starts looks like a version from back in
the 80's.  Has "Main Options", "VT Options", "VT Fonts" accross the
top.  Any way to change this back to what I was running under 1.5?

thanks

Jerold Lowry
IT Manager / Software Engineer
Engineering Design Team (EDT), Inc. a HEICO company
1400 NW Compton Drive, Suite 315
Beaverton, Oregon 97006 (U.S.A.)
Phone: 503-690-1234 / 800-435-4320
Fax: 503-690-1243
Web: _www.edt.com <http://www.edt.com/>_

* Re: Cygwin 1.7 xterm
@ 2010-01-15 21:30 ` Thomas Dickey
From: Thomas Dickey @ 2010-01-15 21:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Fri, 15 Jan 2010, Jerry Lowry wrote:

> After my last install of 1.7 software the X server does start and the blank X
> windows do go away.  But when I start an Xterm the blank X windows stay
> around.  Anyway to start Xterm with them going away once started.  Also, the
> Xterm that starts looks like a version from back in the 80's.  Has "Main
> Options", "VT Options", "VT Fonts" accross the top.  Any way to change this
> back to what I was running under 1.5?

man xterm

(command-line options)
        +tb     This option indicates that xterm should not set up a toolbar.

(resources)
        toolBar (class ToolBar)
                Specifies  whether or not the toolbar should be displayed.  The
                default is "true."

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net

* Re: Cygwin 1.7 xterm
@ 2010-01-15 22:22   ` Jerry Lowry
From: Jerry Lowry @ 2010-01-15 22:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Okay, I understand that, but I did not have to do this under 1.5.  Did
they change the default in 1.7?

Any ideas as to why the blank X windows still continue to stick around
after the Xterm windows opens?

thanks

Thomas Dickey wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Jan 2010, Jerry Lowry wrote:
>
>> After my last install of 1.7 software the X server does start and the
>> blank X windows do go away.  But when I start an Xterm the blank X
>> windows stay around.  Anyway to start Xterm with them going away once
>> started.  Also, the Xterm that starts looks like a version from back
>> in the 80's.  Has "Main Options", "VT Options", "VT Fonts" accross
>> the top.  Any way to change this back to what I was running under 1.5?
>
> man xterm
>
> (command-line options)
>        +tb     This option indicates that xterm should not set up a
> toolbar.
>

> (resources)
>        toolBar (class ToolBar)
>                Specifies  whether or not the toolbar should be
> displayed.  The
>                default is "true."

* Re: Cygwin 1.7 xterm
@ 2010-01-15 22:40     ` Thomas Dickey
From: Thomas Dickey @ 2010-01-15 22:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

On Fri, 15 Jan 2010, Jerry Lowry wrote:

> Okay, I understand that, but I did not have to do this under 1.5.  Did they
> change the default in 1.7?

I've been seeing comments about this for a while - perhaps a year or so.
It might be a change in 1.7.

I use the toolbar configuration most of the time, but see my comment here

> Any ideas as to why the blank X windows still continue to stick around after
> the Xterm windows opens?

no - one of the comments said that might be DOS windows (but I don't have
1.7 to see).

> thanks
>

> Thomas Dickey wrote:
>> On Fri, 15 Jan 2010, Jerry Lowry wrote:
>>
>>> After my last install of 1.7 software the X server does start and the
>>> blank X windows do go away.  But when I start an Xterm the blank X windows
>>> stay around.  Anyway to start Xterm with them going away once started.
>>> Also, the Xterm that starts looks like a version from back in the 80's.
>>> Has "Main Options", "VT Options", "VT Fonts" accross the top.  Any way to
>>> change this back to what I was running under 1.5?
>>
>> man xterm
>>
>> (command-line options)
>>        +tb     This option indicates that xterm should not set up a
>> toolbar.
>>

>> (resources)
>>        toolBar (class ToolBar)
>>                Specifies  whether or not the toolbar should be displayed.
>> The
>>                default is "true."
>>

> --

Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net
ftp://invisible-island.net

* RE: Cygwin 1.7 xterm
@ 2010-01-15 22:47     ` Mike Ayers
       [not found]       ` <4B50F505.6050809@edt.com>
From: Mike Ayers @ 2010-01-15 22:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
> Okay, I understand that, but I did not have to do this under 1.5.  Did
> they change the default in 1.7?

	I think a settings file went away.  To get rid of the toolbar, put "XTerm*toolBar: false" (note case) in ~/.Xdefaults.  Note that ~ is defined by /etc/passwd, not HOME.

	HTH,

Mike

* RE: Cygwin 1.7 xterm
       [not found]       ` <4B50F505.6050809@edt.com>