* X Server no longer launches urxvtc-X
@ 2010-08-20 14:54 Jay Goldman
From: Jay Goldman @ 2010-08-20 14:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

I have the following menu items in my .XWinrc:
       Black EXEC  "/bin/urxvtc-X -fg green -bg black   -cr dodgerblue -g 80x40 -e /bin/bash -l -I"
       dodger EXEC  "urxvtc-X -fg white -bg dodgerblue   -cr blue -g 80x42 -e /bin/bash -l -I"

Which have been working for months .

Today I upgraded my cygwin install and all my menu items like the above no longer work.
(as noted above I've tried both simply urxvtc-X and /bin/urxvtc-X
If, however, I open up a command window using rxvt and then enter the above
Line (by copy and paste) it works fine.

Note, menu items like:
                Xterm exec "xterm"
Work correctly,
While menu items such as:
                Notepad exec "notepad"
Do not.

Does anyone know what has changed in cygwin and/or cygwinX that would cause this?
Could this be related to the change to the windows working directory?

TIA,
Jay

* Re: X Server no longer launches urxvtc-X
@ 2010-08-20 15:05 ` Charles Wilson
From: Charles Wilson @ 2010-08-20 15:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

On 8/20/2010 10:48 AM, Jay Goldman wrote:
> I have the following menu items in my .XWinrc:
>         Black EXEC  "/bin/urxvtc-X -fg green -bg black   -cr dodgerblue -g 80x40 -e /bin/bash -l -I"
>         dodger EXEC  "urxvtc-X -fg white -bg dodgerblue   -cr blue -g 80x42 -e /bin/bash -l -I"
>
> Which have been working for months .
>
> Today I upgraded my cygwin install and all my menu items like the above no longer work.
> (as noted above I've tried both simply urxvtc-X and /bin/urxvtc-X
> If, however, I open up a command window using rxvt and then enter the above
> Line (by copy and paste) it works fine.

My first guess was that the urxvt daemon (urxvtd-X) was not running, so
the client failed. But if you can launch the client using some
incantation, then that means the daemon is running.

> Note, menu items like:
>                  Xterm exec "xterm"
> Work correctly,
> While menu items such as:
>                  Notepad exec "notepad"
> Do not.

Ah. Here's the clue: launching a native win32 program fails.  I bet this
is related to the change in cygwin-1.7.6 where the cygwin "current
working directory" and the win32 CWD are no longer automatically kept in
sync (there are good reasons for this new behavior).

This change has caused a number of problems, and it is not yet clear how
they will be resolved.  Stay tuned to the main cygwin list -- and
meanwhile, revert to cygwin-1.7.5.

--
Chuck

* RE: X Server no longer launches urxvtc-X
@ 2010-08-20 17:56   ` Jay Goldman
From: Jay Goldman @ 2010-08-20 17:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Chuck - thanks for the reply. This is what I had concluded but it's nice to get some confirmation.
For the next few days I can live with 'manually' starting urxvtc-X via individual batch files.

Thanks,
Jay

@ 2010-08-20 18:14   ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2010-08-20 18:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

On Aug 20 10:54, Charles Wilson wrote:
> On 8/20/2010 10:48 AM, Jay Goldman wrote:
> >I have the following menu items in my .XWinrc:
> >        Black EXEC  "/bin/urxvtc-X -fg green -bg black   -cr dodgerblue -g 80x40 -e /bin/bash -l -I"
> >        dodger EXEC  "urxvtc-X -fg white -bg dodgerblue   -cr blue -g 80x42 -e /bin/bash -l -I"
> >
> >Which have been working for months .
> >
> >Today I upgraded my cygwin install and all my menu items like the above no longer work.
> >(as noted above I've tried both simply urxvtc-X and /bin/urxvtc-X
> >If, however, I open up a command window using rxvt and then enter the above
> >Line (by copy and paste) it works fine.
>
> My first guess was that the urxvt daemon (urxvtd-X) was not running,
> so the client failed. But if you can launch the client using some
> incantation, then that means the daemon is running.
>

> >Note, menu items like:
> >                 Xterm exec "xterm"
> >Work correctly,
> >While menu items such as:
> >                 Notepad exec "notepad"
> >Do not.
>
> Ah. Here's the clue: launching a native win32 program fails.  I bet
> this is related to the change in cygwin-1.7.6 where the cygwin
> "current working directory" and the win32 CWD are no longer
> automatically kept in sync (there are good reasons for this new
> behavior).

Maybe that's related, but why?  Does urxvtc-X start applications using
CreateProcess?

I'm asking because if they are started via fork/exec, the cwd for the
child process gets set to the Cygwin cwd if the child is a native Win32
process, like Notepad.  Cygwin executables OTOH shouldn't be affected,
unless, again, they use native Win32 calls.

And that also doesn't answer the question why starting /bin/urxvtc-X in
the menu entries at the start of the mail are not working anymore, at
least unless /bin/urxvtc-X is not a Cygwin application.

> This change has caused a number of problems, and it is not yet clear
> how they will be resolved.

In the first place: http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2010-08/msg00554.html
and http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2010-08/msg00562.html

Corinna

Red Hat

* RE: X Server no longer launches urxvtc-X
@ 2010-08-20 19:07     ` Jay Goldman
       [not found]       ` <20100820190626.GH11340@calimero.vinschen.de>
From: Jay Goldman @ 2010-08-20 19:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8", Size: 3102 bytes --]

Another data point, when I try:
	black  EXEC "/bin/rxvt -fg green -bg black -cr dodgerblue -g 80x40 -e /bin/bash -l -i "
rxvt successfully starts up but displays:
	/bin/find: failed to restore initial working directory: No such file or directory
Before .bash_profile is invoked

> On 8/20/2010 10:48 AM, Jay Goldman wrote:
> >I have the following menu items in my .XWinrc:
> >        Black EXEC  "/bin/urxvtc-X -fg green -bg black   -cr dodgerblue -g 80x40 -e /bin/bash -l -I"
> >        dodger EXEC  "urxvtc-X -fg white -bg dodgerblue   -cr blue -g 80x42 -e /bin/bash -l -I"
> >
> >Which have been working for months .
> >
> >Today I upgraded my cygwin install and all my menu items like the above no longer work.
> >(as noted above I've tried both simply urxvtc-X and /bin/urxvtc-X
> >If, however, I open up a command window using rxvt and then enter the above
> >Line (by copy and paste) it works fine.
>
> My first guess was that the urxvt daemon (urxvtd-X) was not running,
> so the client failed. But if you can launch the client using some
> incantation, then that means the daemon is running.
>

> >Note, menu items like:
> >                 Xterm exec "xterm"
> >Work correctly,
> >While menu items such as:
> >                 Notepad exec "notepad"
> >Do not.
>
> Ah. Here's the clue: launching a native win32 program fails.  I bet
> this is related to the change in cygwin-1.7.6 where the cygwin
> "current working directory" and the win32 CWD are no longer
> automatically kept in sync (there are good reasons for this new
> behavior).

Maybe that's related, but why?  Does urxvtc-X start applications using
CreateProcess?

I'm asking because if they are started via fork/exec, the cwd for the
child process gets set to the Cygwin cwd if the child is a native Win32
process, like Notepad.  Cygwin executables OTOH shouldn't be affected,
unless, again, they use native Win32 calls.

And that also doesn't answer the question why starting /bin/urxvtc-X in
the menu entries at the start of the mail are not working anymore, at
least unless /bin/urxvtc-X is not a Cygwin application.

> This change has caused a number of problems, and it is not yet clear
> how they will be resolved.

In the first place: http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2010-08/msg00554.html
and http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2010-08/msg00562.html

Corinna

Red Hat

\x16º&s(0Š|_­ç«zÛ«Ÿo|Ó©b²Ö«r\x172ƒ\b§ÅúÞ

@ 2010-08-23 16:03         ` Jay Goldman
From: Jay Goldman @ 2010-08-23 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

When I just replace the cygwin1.dll bash,
	\bin\bash.exe -login -i
From cmd window results in:
	The procedure entry point CreateProcessAsUserW could not be located in the dynamic link library KERNEL32.dll

I have no idea where find is being invoked when I execute rxvt, since it is invoked before .bash_profile is invoked.

       [not found] <AANLkTindvuHq21A1sy3a=Ex14970xhFwHXoe_4rLXMui@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2010-08-26 13:57 ` Jay Goldman
From: Jay Goldman @ 2010-08-26 13:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Thanks Bob,
this eliminates the '/bin/find' error when starting rxvt or urxvt.
I just added
	cd /
before the PATH= line.

Still cannot run urxvtc from X server tray app.