* Following update to XWin or xorg-server: changed syntax to get a xterm terminal window
@ 2015-06-10 11:29 Fergus Daly
From: Fergus Daly @ 2015-06-10 11:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'cygwin-xfree@cygwin.com'; +Cc: Fergus Daly

For ages I used
    XWin -nolock -nolisten local -multiwindow &
    xterm -display localhost:0.0
to get a xterm terminal.
Following recent updates I get a fatal error: "Cannot establish any listening sockets."
In the past, updates to XWin have sometimes led to similar difficulties, but I have always managed to iterate to a new successful joint syntax
    XWin <arguments>
    xterm <arguments>
but this time I am totally stymied.
Can anybody offer me a working syntax please?
Thank you.
Fergus

* Re: Following update to XWin or xorg-server: changed syntax to get a xterm terminal window
@ 2015-06-10 11:37 ` Michael DePaulo
From: Michael DePaulo @ 2015-06-10 11:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree; +Cc: Fergus Daly

On Wed, Jun 10, 2015 at 7:28 AM, Fergus Daly
<fergusd@frontier-science.co.uk> wrote:
> For ages I used
>     XWin -nolock -nolisten local -multiwindow &
>     xterm -display localhost:0.0
> to get a xterm terminal.
> Following recent updates I get a fatal error: "Cannot establish any listening sockets."
> In the past, updates to XWin have sometimes led to similar difficulties, but I have always managed to iterate to a new successful joint syntax
>     XWin <arguments>
>     xterm <arguments>
> but this time I am totally stymied.
> Can anybody offer me a working syntax please?
> Thank you.
> Fergus

By default, XWin 1.17 no longer listens on TCP sockets, only on unix
domain sockets.
https://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-announce/2015-06/msg00003.html

However, "-nolisten local" disables unix domain sockets.,

So to use unix domain sockets:
    XWin -nolock -multiwindow &
    xterm -display :0.0

Or to keep using TCP sockets:
    XWin -nolock -nolisten local -listen tcp -multiwindow &
    xterm -display localhost:0.0

-Mike

* Re: Following update to XWin or xorg-server: changed syntax to get a xterm terminal window
@ 2015-09-17  3:11   ` Paul
From: Paul @ 2015-09-17  3:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Michael DePaulo <mikedep333 <at> gmail.com> writes:
|On Wed, Jun 10, 2015 at 7:28 AM, Fergus Daly
|<fergusd <at> frontier-science.co.uk> wrote:
|> For ages I used
|>     XWin -nolock -nolisten local -multiwindow &
|>     xterm -display localhost:0.0
|> to get a xterm terminal.
|> Following recent updates I get a fatal error: "Cannot establish any
|> listening sockets." In the past, updates to XWin have sometimes led
|> to similar difficulties, but I have always managed to iterate to a
|> new successful joint syntax
|>     XWin <arguments>
|>     xterm <arguments>
| By default, XWin 1.17 no longer listens on TCP sockets, only on unix
| domain sockets.
| https://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-announce/2015-06/msg00003.html
| However, "-nolisten local" disables unix domain sockets.,
| So to use unix domain sockets:
|     XWin -nolock -multiwindow &
|     xterm -display :0.0
| Or to keep using TCP sockets:
|     XWin -nolock -nolisten local -listen tcp -multiwindow &
|     xterm -display localhost:0.0

I found that I also had to rejig my ~/.startxwinrc.

   ~/.startxwinrc: