* Refresh needed after Remote Desktop Connection
@ 2011-06-10  3:30 Trollope, David
From: Trollope, David @ 2011-06-10  3:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Hi,

I've been encountering a new behaviour recently which I'm hoping someone
can shed some light on or suggest some tweak that will help.

I regularly remote desktop to a machine running cygwin with an X server
running - it is a Window 7 Enterprise box.

The act of connecting through RDP resizes the screen. Normally the
machine runs with two screens.

After connecting with RDP (and while connected) the X windows do not
refresh. I typically have open multiple xterm's but nothing refreshes.
Until I move a window, it will not refresh. as soon as I move a window,
it becomes usable again. I.E. xterm's do not display what is typed until
the window is moved.

This seems to affect all X windows. Any ideas?

Cheers
Dave

--
                       Dave Trollope
                  MBU Development Manager

* Re: Refresh needed after Remote Desktop Connection
@ 2011-06-24 11:52 ` Jon TURNEY
From: Jon TURNEY @ 2011-06-24 11:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree; +Cc: dtrollope

On 10/06/2011 04:30, Trollope, David wrote:

> I've been encountering a new behaviour recently which I'm hoping someone
> can shed some light on or suggest some tweak that will help.

When you say this is 'new behavior', when did it start? When you upgraded the
cygwin X server? or something else was changed?

> I regularly remote desktop to a machine running cygwin with an X server
> running - it is a Window 7 Enterprise box.
>
> The act of connecting through RDP resizes the screen. Normally the
> machine runs with two screens.
>
> After connecting with RDP (and while connected) the X windows do not
> refresh. I typically have open multiple xterm's but nothing refreshes.
> Until I move a window, it will not refresh. as soon as I move a window,
> it becomes usable again. I.E. xterm's do not display what is typed until
> the window is moved.
>
> This seems to affect all X windows. Any ideas?

So if I'm understanding you correctly, the contents of the windows are drawn
correctly after the display resizes, but then do not update?

What about the root window, does that have the correct contents?

If you run a simple X client such as 'ico' or 'xeyes' does that continue to
draw correctly after the resize, or not?

This is quite possibly a bug of some kind in the resize handling in the X
server, although I don't have any particular insight at the moment as to what
that bug might be :-)

--
Jon TURNEY
Volunteer Cygwin/X X Server maintainer