* Failed to create /tmp/.X0.lock file?
@ 2010-10-28 13:09 Chris Fouts
From: Chris Fouts @ 2010-10-28 13:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

After power up, I log in on a Vista 32 machine on a non-admin account,
and start XWin server via power shell by calling the startxwin.exe
executable. Sometimes XWin fails to start and I get a pop up that says
(paraphrase) "Failed to create /tmp/.X0.lock file" I tried using the
-nolock option to no avail. How can I alleviate this? Thanks!

* Re: Failed to create /tmp/.X0.lock file?
@ 2010-10-28 17:35 ` Jon TURNEY
From: Jon TURNEY @ 2010-10-28 17:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree; +Cc: zilla62

On 28/10/2010 14:09, Chris Fouts wrote:
> After power up, I log in on a Vista 32 machine on a non-admin account,
> and start XWin server via power shell by calling the startxwin.exe
> executable. Sometimes XWin fails to start and I get a pop up that says
> (paraphrase) "Failed to create /tmp/.X0.lock file" I tried using the
> -nolock option to no avail. How can I alleviate this? Thanks!

Unfortunately, we have some bugs which prevent the X server from shutting down
cleaning and removing it's lock file under some circumstances.  But that
should only causing problems if you are non-admin and the previous run was
under a different account, which doesn't seem to be what you are saying here?

Are you sure you are supplying the -nolock option correctly? The syntax for
adding it to the startmenu shortcut is unfortunately rather obscure, but [1]
should explain it.

Are you sure you get the same error message with -nolock?

If that doesn't help you resolve your problem, can you supply the additional
information suggested by the problem report link above?

[1] http://x.cygwin.com/docs/faq/cygwin-x-faq.html#q-cant-read-lock-file

--
Jon TURNEY
Volunteer Cygwin/X X Server maintainer

* Re: Failed to create /tmp/.X0.lock file?
@ 2010-10-31 15:47   ` Chris Fouts
From: Chris Fouts @ 2010-10-31 15:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

On Thu, Oct 28, 2010 at 1:35 PM, Jon TURNEY <jon.turney@dronecode.org.uk> wrote:
> On 28/10/2010 14:09, Chris Fouts wrote:
>>
>> After power up, I log in on a Vista 32 machine on a non-admin account,
>> and start XWin server via power shell by calling the startxwin.exe
>> executable. Sometimes XWin fails to start and I get a pop up that says
>> (paraphrase) "Failed to create /tmp/.X0.lock file" I tried using the
>> -nolock option to no avail. How can I alleviate this? Thanks!
>
> Unfortunately, we have some bugs which prevent the X server from shutting
> down cleaning and removing it's lock file under some circumstances.  But
> that should only causing problems if you are non-admin and the previous run
> was under a different account, which doesn't seem to be what you are saying
> here?
>
> Are you sure you are supplying the -nolock option correctly? The syntax for
> adding it to the startmenu shortcut is unfortunately rather obscure, but [1]
> should explain it.
>
> Are you sure you get the same error message with -nolock?

>> Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
>
> If that doesn't help you resolve your problem, can you supply the additional
> information suggested by the problem report link above?
>
>> Documentation:         http://x.cygwin.com/docs/
>> FAQ:                   http://x.cygwin.com/docs/faq/
>
> [1] http://x.cygwin.com/docs/faq/cygwin-x-faq.html#q-cant-read-lock-file
>
> --
> Jon TURNEY
> Volunteer Cygwin/X X Server maintainer

Thanks. I'm starting the XWin server in a PowerShell script, so I'm
figuring out now how to put the quotes after the -c option as
indicated in the help page.