* Unable to install X on 64-bit Windows 7 Premium
@ 2010-08-09 23:19 Bob Kline
From: Bob Kline @ 2010-08-09 23:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

  I finally had to replace my ancient Windows XP box, and ended up with
a Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit system.  If I run setup.exe to install a
fresh cygwin, it succeeds as long as I don't touch the X11 set, leaving
it at Default (which is to say, don't install anything in the set).  If
I change Default to Install for X11, I get a dialog box which says:

Cygwin Setup - Running postinstall scripts
Postinstall script errors
     The following errors occured executing postinstall scripts
Package: gcc4-core
     gcc4-core.sh exit code 126
Package: libglade2.0_0
     libglade2.0.sh exit code 2
Package: xinit
     xinit.sh exit code 8
Package: No package
     gcc4-core.sh exit code 126
     libglade2.0.sh exit code 2
     xinit.sh exit code 8

When I click Next, I get an error message saying the installation won't
work properly unless I correct the failures which occurred, and tells me
to look in the log file.  The log file doesn't have anything beyond what
appears in the dialog box as far as the errors are concerned, and
there's no clue anywhere telling me how I'm supposed to go about
correcting the errors.  I've tried many times, clearing away the
c:\cygwin tree each time and starting fresh (don't know about the
registry, though: there isn't an uninstaller for cygwin in the
add/remove programs database).  I've googled, but haven't found anything
I could use to get past these failures.

Versions:
cygwin installer, version 2.708
gcc4-core, version 4.3.4-3
libglade2.0_0, version 2.6.4-1
xinit, version 1.2.1-1

I'm running the setup program as administrator.  I downloaded it
multiple times to make sure I wasn't working a corrupted installer.

Could I please have some assistance figuring out how to correct the
errors?  What other information do I need to supply?

Thanks!

--
Bob Kline
mailto:bkline@rksystems.com

* Re: Unable to install X on 64-bit Windows 7 Premium
@ 2010-08-10 12:13 ` Jon TURNEY
                     ` (3 more replies)
From: Jon TURNEY @ 2010-08-10 12:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree; +Cc: bkline

On 10/08/2010 00:19, Bob Kline wrote:
> I finally had to replace my ancient Windows XP box, and ended up with a
> Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit system. If I run setup.exe to install a fresh
> cygwin, it succeeds as long as I don't touch the X11 set, leaving it at
> Default (which is to say, don't install anything in the set). If I change
> Default to Install for X11, I get a dialog box which says:
>
> Cygwin Setup - Running postinstall scripts
> Postinstall script errors
> The following errors occured executing postinstall scripts
> Package: gcc4-core
> gcc4-core.sh exit code 126

This one is already reported at [1], and the workaround given there,i.e.

chmod 755 /usr/sbin/fix-libtool-scripts-for-latest-gcc-runtimes.sh

and then run /etc/postinstall/gcc4-core.sh manually should work.

I'm a bit surprised that gcc4 is a dependency of X.

> Package: libglade2.0_0
> libglade2.0.sh exit code 2
> Package: xinit
> xinit.sh exit code 8
> Package: No package
> gcc4-core.sh exit code 126
> libglade2.0.sh exit code 2
> xinit.sh exit code 8
>
> When I click Next, I get an error message saying the installation won't work
> properly unless I correct the failures which occurred, and tells me to look in
> the log file. The log file doesn't have anything beyond what appears in the
> dialog box as far as the errors are concerned, and there's no clue anywhere
> telling me how I'm supposed to go about correcting the errors.
> [snip]
> Could I please have some assistance figuring out how to correct the errors?
> What other information do I need to supply?

Thanks for reporting these problems.

Setup has only recently started recording problems with postinstall scripts,
previously it would silently ignore failures.

Hmm... it seems that the output from these failing commands is only captured
in setup.log.full, not setup.log, so I think that messagebox needs fixing.

You can look there, or run these scripts manually (they can be found in
/etc/postinstall) and post the errors reported by those scripts so we can fix
the problems.

[1] http://sourceware.org/ml/cygwin/2010-08/msg00158.html

--
Jon TURNEY
Volunteer Cygwin/X X Server maintainer

* Re: Unable to install X on 64-bit Windows 7 Premium
@ 2010-08-10 14:53   ` Bob Kline
       [not found]     ` <AANLkTimeYxOTiyXPFv8AU-s0bkMXhvE9_7rh3kxQM=nj@mail.gmail.com>
                     ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Bob Kline @ 2010-08-10 14:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

On 8/10/2010 8:12 AM, Jon TURNEY wrote:

> gcc4-core.sh exit code 126
>
> This one is already reported at [1], and the workaround given
> there,i.e. ....

Thanks for your reply.  I had seen that report, but was dismayed to see
that the poster had received no response to his questions about whether
the workaround really solved the problem or had just suppressed a
symptom, leaving his system in a state which was causing subsequent
installation actions (and other programs) to fail.

> Hmm... it seems that the output from these failing commands is only
> captured in setup.log.full, not setup.log, so I think that messagebox
> needs fixing.
>
> You can look there, or run these scripts manually (they can be found
> in /etc/postinstall) and post the errors reported by those scripts so
> we can fix the problems.

I will (may take a few days, as we're about to take our daughter down to
college).  Thanks again.

--
Bob Kline
http://www.rksystems.com

@ 2010-08-10 15:29       ` Bob Kline
From: Bob Kline @ 2010-08-10 15:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

On 8/10/2010 11:16 AM, Jim Reisert AD1C wrote:
> Bob, FYI, I've been running Cygwin 1.7x and latest X on Win 7 Pro
> 64-bit and not problems setting up or running.  In other words, it
> works right out of the box.

Thanks for the data point, Jim.  The two possible explanations that come
to mind for the difference in results between your system and mine are
(a) there's some difference in the way Win 7 Pro and Win 7 Premium
behave which accounts for the failure on Premium; or (b) you installed
at an earlier point in time, when something was different about the
Cygwin packages or the Windows patches or both.  I'm inclined to think
(b) is more likely.  Jon pointed out earlier in this thread that the
visible reporting of postinstall failures is a recent change, so perhaps
the installation failures occurred on your system as well, but the
installer didn't bother to report them.  I'll see what I can learn about
theory (a) by experimenting with a virtual Win 7 Pro system.

--
Bob Kline
http://www.rksystems.com

@ 2010-08-10 15:49   ` Jon TURNEY
From: Jon TURNEY @ 2010-08-10 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

On 10/08/2010 13:12, Jon TURNEY wrote:
> On 10/08/2010 00:19, Bob Kline wrote:
>> I finally had to replace my ancient Windows XP box, and ended up with a
>> Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit system. If I run setup.exe to install a fresh
>> cygwin, it succeeds as long as I don't touch the X11 set, leaving it at
>> Default (which is to say, don't install anything in the set). If I change
>> Default to Install for X11, I get a dialog box which says:
>>
>> Cygwin Setup - Running postinstall scripts
>> Postinstall script errors
>> The following errors occured executing postinstall scripts
>> Package: gcc4-core
>> gcc4-core.sh exit code 126
>
> This one is already reported at [1], and the workaround given there,i.e.
>
> chmod 755 /usr/sbin/fix-libtool-scripts-for-latest-gcc-runtimes.sh
>
> and then run /etc/postinstall/gcc4-core.sh manually should work.
>
> I'm a bit surprised that gcc4 is a dependency of X.
>
>> Package: libglade2.0_0
>> libglade2.0.sh exit code 2
>> Package: xinit
>> xinit.sh exit code 8

and since all xinit.sh does is run mkshortcut to create a start menu shortcut,
I'd guess this is the same issue as [1], assuming we don't have a cygutils
release with that fixed yet.

[1] http://sourceware.org/ml/cygwin/2010-03/msg00357.html

--

@ 2010-08-10 20:37     ` Bob Kline
From: Bob Kline @ 2010-08-10 20:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

On 8/10/2010 11:49 AM, Jon TURNEY wrote:
> and since all xinit.sh does is run mkshortcut to create a start menu
> shortcut, I'd guess this is the same issue as [1], assuming we don't
> have a cygutils release with that fixed yet.
>
> [1] http://sourceware.org/ml/cygwin/2010-03/msg00357.html

Right.  As for the third problem (with libglade), the error output is

add command failed
could not open /etc/xml/catalog for saving

Took a peek and saw that /etc/xml had not been created.  So I created
the directory and ran libglade2.0.sh again, reduced the error output to
simply

add command failed

and when I checked for /etc/xml/catalog is saw that it had been created,
but that it was empty.  So I did some more googling, and found [1].  By
adding --create to the script (and first removing the empty
/etc/xml/catalog file) I was able to get the script to succeed.
Unsettling that the libglade problem still hasn't been fixed after
almost a couple of years, but at least I have (I think) "fixed" all
three of the problems reported by the installer.

As for the theories about the differences in results between Jim
Reisert's Win 7 Pro machine and my Win 7 Premium box: I did the rest of
my experimenting on a Win 7 Enterprise virtual machine, and ran into the
same problems as on Win 7 Premium.  So I'm pretty confident the
different flavors of Win 7 had nothing to do with it.  Much more likely
that setup ran into the same failures (silently) on Win 7 Pro because
the installation was done before setup was reporting the postinstall
script failures.  I would guess that the new practice of putting up the
dialog window telling the new Cygwin user that his new installation will
not work correctly until he fixes all of the errors which occurred will
result in a decreased number of new users who are brave enough to
persevere with Cygwin, but an increase in the number of problems which
are actually reported and (let's hope) fixed.  On balance, at least in
the long run, a worthy trade-off.

Thanks again for your assistance.

[1] http://lists.macosforge.org/pipermail/macports-users/2008-October.txt

--
Bob Kline
http://www.rksystems.com

@ 2010-08-11 13:20   ` Bob Kline
From: Bob Kline @ 2010-08-11 13:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

  On 8/10/2010 8:12 AM, Jon TURNEY wrote:
> I'm a bit surprised that gcc4 is a dependency of X.

It's a dependency of imake, which is a member of the XWin set.

--

@ 2010-08-11 20:17     ` Thomas Dickey
From: Thomas Dickey @ 2010-08-11 20:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

On Wed, 11 Aug 2010, Bob Kline wrote:

> On 8/10/2010 8:12 AM, Jon TURNEY wrote:
>> I'm a bit surprised that gcc4 is a dependency of X.
>
> It's a dependency of imake, which is a member of the XWin set.

imake uses the C preprocessor...

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net

* Re: Unable to install X on 64-bit Windows 7 Premium
                     ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2010-08-15 17:33   ` Dan Tsafrir
From: Dan Tsafrir @ 2010-08-15 17:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree; +Cc: bkline

On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 15:12, Jon TURNEY <jon.turney@dronecode.org.uk> wrote:
> On 10/08/2010 00:19, Bob Kline wrote:
>>
>> I finally had to replace my ancient Windows XP box, and ended up with a
>> Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit system. If I run setup.exe to install a
>> fresh
>> cygwin, it succeeds as long as I don't touch the X11 set, leaving it at
>> Default (which is to say, don't install anything in the set). If I change
>> Default to Install for X11, I get a dialog box which says:
>>
>> Cygwin Setup - Running postinstall scripts
>> Postinstall script errors
>> The following errors occured executing postinstall scripts
>> Package: gcc4-core
>> gcc4-core.sh exit code 126
>
> This one is already reported at [1], and the workaround given there,i.e.
>
> chmod 755 /usr/sbin/fix-libtool-scripts-for-latest-gcc-runtimes.sh
>
> and then run /etc/postinstall/gcc4-core.sh manually should work.

I've done exactly this, then tried to install some X stuff and got:

    Package: xinit
            xinit.sh exit code 8
    Package: No package
            xinit.sh exit code 8

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks,
--Dan

* Re: Unable to install X on 64-bit Windows 7 Premium
@ 2010-08-15 17:49     ` Dan Tsafrir
From: Dan Tsafrir @ 2010-08-15 17:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

On Sun, Aug 15, 2010 at 04:03, Dan Tsafrir <dants@cs.technion.ac.il> wrote:

> I've done exactly this, then tried to install some X stuff and got:
>
>    Package: xinit
>            xinit.sh exit code 8
>    Package: No package
>            xinit.sh exit code 8

It turns out that the above error message is generated by the second
(and final) line of /etc/postinstall/xinit.sh, which attempts to
create the "Cygwin-X/Xwin Server" menu shortcut, using
/usr/bin/mkshortcut.exe; I can't tell why the latter fails, but I've
attached the output of strace to hopefully provide a clue.

Thanks,
--Dan

[-- Attachment #2: mkshortcut-strace.txt --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 24544 bytes --]

    5       5 [main] mkshortcut 4904 open_shared: name shared.5, n 5, shared 0x60FC0000 (wanted 0x60FC0000), h 0xC4
  121     126 [main] mkshortcut 4904 heap_init: heap base 0x10410000, heap top 0x10410000
   75     201 [main] mkshortcut 4904 open_shared: name S-1-5-21-1390067357-606747145-725345543-18054.1, n 1, shared 0x60FD0000 (wanted 0x60FD0000), h 0xC8
   38     239 [main] mkshortcut 4904 user_info::create: opening user shared for 'S-1-5-21-1390067357-606747145-725345543-18054' at 0x60FD0000
   35     274 [main] mkshortcut 4904 user_info::create: user shared version 6112AFB3
   60     334 [main] mkshortcut 4904 events_init: windows_system_directory 'C:\Windows\system32\', windows_system_directory_length 20
   52     386 [main] mkshortcut 4904 dll_crt0_0: finished dll_crt0_0 initialization
  119     505 [main] mkshortcut 4904 _cygtls::remove: wait 0xFFFFFFFF
   46     551 [main] mkshortcut 4904 _cygtls::remove: removed 0x22CE64 element 0
   84     635 [main] mkshortcut 4904 _cygtls::remove: wait 0xFFFFFFFF
   33     668 [main] mkshortcut 4904 _cygtls::remove: removed 0x22CE64 element 0
 9185    9853 [main] mkshortcut 4904 _cygwin_istext_for_stdio: fd 0: not open
   45    9898 [main] mkshortcut 4904 _cygwin_istext_for_stdio: fd 1: not open
   30    9928 [main] mkshortcut 4904 _cygwin_istext_for_stdio: fd 2: not open
  406   10334 [main] mkshortcut 4904 mount_info::conv_to_posix_path: conv_to_posix_path (C:\cygwin\home\dants, no-keep-rel, no-add-slash)
   63   10397 [main] mkshortcut 4904 normalize_win32_path: C:\cygwin\home\dants = normalize_win32_path (C:\cygwin\home\dants)
   43   10440 [main] mkshortcut 4904 mount_info::conv_to_posix_path: /home/dants = conv_to_posix_path (C:\cygwin\home\dants)
  137   10577 [main] mkshortcut (4904) open_shared: name cygpid.4904, n 4904, shared 0x60FF0000 (wanted 0x60FF0000), h 0x150
  329   10906 [main] mkshortcut 4904 **********************************************
   31   10937 [main] mkshortcut 4904 Program name: C:\cygwin\bin\mkshortcut.exe (pid 4904, ppid 1)
   29   10966 [main] mkshortcut 4904 App version:  1007.1, api: 0.218
   28   10994 [main] mkshortcut 4904 DLL version:  1007.5, api: 0.225
   28   11022 [main] mkshortcut 4904 DLL build:    2010-04-12 19:07
  229   11251 [main] mkshortcut 4904 OS version:   Windows NT-6.1
   31   11282 [main] mkshortcut 4904 Heap size:    402653184
   30   11312 [main] mkshortcut 4904 **********************************************
   29   11341 [main] mkshortcut 4904 pinfo::thisproc: myself->dwProcessId 4904
   31   11372 [main] mkshortcut 4904 time: 1281893010 = time (0)
 5661   17033 [main] mkshortcut 4904 parse_options: glob (called func)
   59   17092 [main] mkshortcut 4904 parse_options: returning
  114   17206 [main] mkshortcut 4904 environ_init: GetEnvironmentStrings returned 0x2BAF48
   57   17263 [main] mkshortcut 4904 environ_init: 0x10438298: !::=::\
   54   17317 [main] mkshortcut 4904 environ_init: 0x104382A8: !C:=C:\cygwin\bin
   58   17375 [main] mkshortcut 4904 environ_init: 0x104382C0: ALLUSERSPROFILE=C:\ProgramData
   56   17431 [main] mkshortcut 4904 environ_init: 0x104382E8: APPDATA=C:\Users\dants\AppData\Roaming
   57   17488 [main] mkshortcut 4904 environ_init: 0x10438318: COMMONPROGRAMFILES=C:\Program Files\Common Files
   57   17545 [main] mkshortcut 4904 environ_init: 0x10438350: COMPUTERNAME=ZAFRIR
   58   17603 [main] mkshortcut 4904 environ_init: 0x10438370: COMSPEC=C:\Windows\system32\cmd.exe
   57   17660 [main] mkshortcut 4904 environ_init: 0x104383A0: CVS_RSH=/bin/ssh
   56   17716 [main] mkshortcut 4904 environ_init: 0x104383B8: CYGWIN=noglob
   56   17772 [main] mkshortcut 4904 environ_init: 0x104383D0: DEFLOGDIR=C:\ProgramData\McAfee\DesktopProtection
   55   17827 [main] mkshortcut 4904 environ_init: 0x10438408: FP_NO_HOST_CHECK=NO
   73   17900 [main] mkshortcut 4904 getwinenv: can't set native for HOME= since no environ yet
   36   17936 [main] mkshortcut 4904 mount_info::conv_to_posix_path: conv_to_posix_path (C:\cygwin\home\dants, no-keep-rel, no-add-slash)
   32   17968 [main] mkshortcut 4904 normalize_win32_path: C:\cygwin\home\dants = normalize_win32_path (C:\cygwin\home\dants)
   31   17999 [main] mkshortcut 4904 mount_info::conv_to_posix_path: /home/dants = conv_to_posix_path (C:\cygwin\home\dants)
   79   18078 [main] mkshortcut 4904 win_env::add_cache: posix /home/dants
   29   18107 [main] mkshortcut 4904 win_env::add_cache: native HOME=C:\cygwin\home\dants
   29   18136 [main] mkshortcut 4904 posify: env var converted to HOME=/home/dants
   75   18211 [main] mkshortcut 4904 environ_init: 0x10438478: HOME=/home/dants
   56   18267 [main] mkshortcut 4904 environ_init: 0x10438428: HOMEDRIVE=Z:
   57   18324 [main] mkshortcut 4904 environ_init: 0x10438490: HOMEPATH=\
   57   18381 [main] mkshortcut 4904 environ_init: 0x104384A0: HOMESHARE=\\csta\HOME
   57   18438 [main] mkshortcut 4904 environ_init: 0x104384C0: HOSTNAME=zafrir
   56   18494 [main] mkshortcut 4904 environ_init: 0x104384D8: INFOPATH=/usr/local/info:/usr/share/info:/usr/info:
   55   18549 [main] mkshortcut 4904 environ_init: 0x10438518: LANG=C.UTF-8
   55   18604 [main] mkshortcut 4904 environ_init: 0x10438530: LOCALAPPDATA=C:\Users\dants\AppData\Local
   54   18658 [main] mkshortcut 4904 environ_init: 0x10438560: LOGONSERVER=\\DAP
   55   18713 [main] mkshortcut 4904 environ_init: 0x10438578: MANPATH=/usr/local/man:/usr/share/man:/usr/man:
   56   18769 [main] mkshortcut 4904 environ_init: 0x104385B0: NUMBER_OF_PROCESSORS=1
   57   18826 [main] mkshortcut 4904 environ_init: 0x104385D0: OLDPWD=/home/dants/tmp/cygutils-1.4.2-1/src/cygutils-1.4.2/src
   62   18888 [main] mkshortcut 4904 environ_init: 0x10438618: OS=Windows_NT
   62   18950 [main] mkshortcut 4904 getwinenv: can't set native for PATH= since no environ yet
   62   19012 [main] mkshortcut 4904 mount_info::conv_to_posix_path: conv_to_posix_path (C:\cygwin\usr\local\bin, keep-rel, no-add-slash)
   31   19043 [main] mkshortcut 4904 normalize_win32_path: C:\cygwin\usr\local\bin = normalize_win32_path (C:\cygwin\usr\local\bin)
   31   19074 [main] mkshortcut 4904 mount_info::conv_to_posix_path: /usr/local/bin = conv_to_posix_path (C:\cygwin\usr\local\bin)
   30   19104 [main] mkshortcut 4904 mount_info::conv_to_posix_path: conv_to_posix_path (C:\cygwin\bin, keep-rel, no-add-slash)
   31   19135 [main] mkshortcut 4904 normalize_win32_path: C:\cygwin\bin = normalize_win32_path (C:\cygwin\bin)
   30   19165 [main] mkshortcut 4904 mount_info::conv_to_posix_path: /usr/bin = conv_to_posix_path (C:\cygwin\bin)
   30   19195 [main] mkshortcut 4904 mount_info::conv_to_posix_path: conv_to_posix_path (C:\cygwin\bin, keep-rel, no-add-slash)
   30   19225 [main] mkshortcut 4904 normalize_win32_path: C:\cygwin\bin = normalize_win32_path (C:\cygwin\bin)
   30   19255 [main] mkshortcut 4904 mount_info::conv_to_posix_path: /usr/bin = conv_to_posix_path (C:\cygwin\bin)
   30   19285 [main] mkshortcut 4904 mount_info::conv_to_posix_path: conv_to_posix_path (C:\Windows\system32, keep-rel, no-add-slash)
   31   19316 [main] mkshortcut 4904 normalize_win32_path: C:\Windows\system32 = normalize_win32_path (C:\Windows\system32)
   31   19347 [main] mkshortcut 4904 mount_info::conv_to_posix_path: /cygdrive/c/Windows/system32 = conv_to_posix_path (C:\Windows\system32)
   30   19377 [main] mkshortcut 4904 mount_info::conv_to_posix_path: conv_to_posix_path (C:\Windows, keep-rel, no-add-slash)
   30   19407 [main] mkshortcut 4904 normalize_win32_path: C:\Windows = normalize_win32_path (C:\Windows)
   30   19437 [main] mkshortcut 4904 mount_info::conv_to_posix_path: /cygdrive/c/Windows = conv_to_posix_path (C:\Windows)
   31   19468 [main] mkshortcut 4904 mount_info::conv_to_posix_path: conv_to_posix_path (C:\Windows\System32\Wbem, keep-rel, no-add-slash)
   30   19498 [main] mkshortcut 4904 normalize_win32_path: C:\Windows\System32\Wbem = normalize_win32_path (C:\Windows\System32\Wbem)
   30   19528 [main] mkshortcut 4904 mount_info::conv_to_posix_path: /cygdrive/c/Windows/System32/Wbem = conv_to_posix_path (C:\Windows\System32\Wbem)
   31   19559 [main] mkshortcut 4904 mount_info::conv_to_posix_path: conv_to_posix_path (C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\, keep-rel, add-slash)
   30   19589 [main] mkshortcut 4904 normalize_win32_path: C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\ = normalize_win32_path (C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\)
   31   19620 [main] mkshortcut 4904 mount_info::conv_to_posix_path: /cygdrive/c/Windows/System32/WindowsPowerShell/v1.0/ = conv_to_posix_path (C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\)
   79   19699 [main] mkshortcut 4904 win_env::add_cache: posix /usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/bin:/cygdrive/c/Windows/system32:/cygdrive/c/Windows:/cygdrive/c/Windows/System32/Wbem:/cygdrive/c/Windows/System32/WindowsPowerShell/v1.0/
   31   19730 [main] mkshortcut 4904 win_env::add_cache: native PATH=C:\cygwin\usr\local\bin;C:\cygwin\bin;C:\cygwin\bin;C:\Windows\system32;C:\Windows;C:\Windows\System32\Wbem;C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\
   31   19761 [main] mkshortcut 4904 posify: env var converted to PATH=/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/bin:/cygdrive/c/Windows/system32:/cygdrive/c/Windows:/cygdrive/c/Windows/System32/Wbem:/cygdrive/c/Windows/System32/WindowsPowerShell/v1.0/
   91   19852 [main] mkshortcut 4904 environ_init: 0x10448838: PATH=/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/bin:/cygdrive/c/Windows/system32:/cygdrive/c/Windows:/cygdrive/c/Windows/System32/Wbem:/cygdrive/c/Windows/System32/WindowsPowerShell/v1.0/
   62   19914 [main] mkshortcut 4904 environ_init: 0x10438630: PATHEXT=.COM;.EXE;.BAT;.CMD;.VBS;.VBE;.JS;.JSE;.WSF;.WSH;.MSC
   63   19977 [main] mkshortcut 4904 environ_init: 0x10438678: PRINTER=\\prtw\b617d2
   58   20035 [main] mkshortcut 4904 environ_init: 0x10438698: PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE=x86
   61   20096 [main] mkshortcut 4904 environ_init: 0x104488F0: PROCESSOR_IDENTIFIER=x86 Family 6 Model 13 Stepping 8, GenuineIntel
   60   20156 [main] mkshortcut 4904 environ_init: 0x104386B8: PROCESSOR_LEVEL=6
   61   20217 [main] mkshortcut 4904 environ_init: 0x10448940: PROCESSOR_REVISION=0d08
   61   20278 [main] mkshortcut 4904 environ_init: 0x10448960: PROGRAMFILES=C:\Program Files
   61   20339 [main] mkshortcut 4904 environ_init: 0x10448988: PROMPT=$P$G
   62   20401 [main] mkshortcut 4904 environ_init: 0x104489A0: PS1=\[\e]0;\w\a\]\n\[\e[32m\]\u@\h \[\e[33m\]\w\[\e[0m\]\n\$
   64   20465 [main] mkshortcut 4904 environ_init: 0x104489E8: PSModulePath=C:\Windows\system32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\Modules\
   62   20527 [main] mkshortcut 4904 environ_init: 0x10448A30: PUBLIC=C:\Users\Public
   61   20588 [main] mkshortcut 4904 environ_init: 0x10448A50: PWD=/home/dants
   61   20649 [main] mkshortcut 4904 environ_init: 0x10448A68: ProgramData=C:\ProgramData
   57   20706 [main] mkshortcut 4904 environ_init: 0x10448A88: SESSIONNAME=Console
   55   20761 [main] mkshortcut 4904 environ_init: 0x10448AA8: SHLVL=1
   62   20823 [main] mkshortcut 4904 environ_init: 0x10448AB8: SYSTEMDRIVE=C:
   57   20880 [main] mkshortcut 4904 environ_init: 0x10448AD0: SYSTEMROOT=C:\Windows
   55   20935 [main] mkshortcut 4904 environ_init: 0x10448AF0: TERM=cygwin
   59   20994 [main] mkshortcut 4904 environ_init: 0x10448B08: TFS_DIR=C:\Program Files\ThinkVantage Fingerprint Software\
   58   21052 [main] mkshortcut 4904 environ_init: 0x10448B50: TSMPATH=C:\Program Files\ThinkPad\UltraNav Utility
   59   21111 [main] mkshortcut 4904 environ_init: 0x10448B88: TVT=C:\Program Files\Lenovo
   54   21165 [main] mkshortcut 4904 environ_init: 0x10448BB0: USER=dants
   55   21220 [main] mkshortcut 4904 environ_init: 0x10448BC0: USERDNSDOMAIN=CSF.TECHNION.AC.IL
   55   21275 [main] mkshortcut 4904 environ_init: 0x10448BE8: USERDOMAIN=TD-CSF
   54   21329 [main] mkshortcut 4904 environ_init: 0x10448C00: USERNAME=dants
   54   21383 [main] mkshortcut 4904 environ_init: 0x10448C18: USERPROFILE=C:\Users\dants
   56   21439 [main] mkshortcut 4904 environ_init: 0x10448C38: VSEDEFLOGDIR=C:\ProgramData\McAfee\DesktopProtection
   56   21495 [main] mkshortcut 4904 environ_init: 0x10448C78: WINDIR=C:\Windows
   54   21549 [main] mkshortcut 4904 environ_init: 0x10448C90: _=/usr/bin/strace
  120   21669 [main] mkshortcut 4904 pinfo_init: Set nice to 0
   32   21701 [main] mkshortcut 4904 pinfo_init: pid 4904, pgid 4904
  169   21870 [main] mkshortcut 4904 dtable::extend: size 32, fds 0x6122554C
  778   22648 [main] mkshortcut 4904 pwdgrp::load: \etc\passwd curr_lines 10
   53   22701 [main] mkshortcut 4904 pwdgrp::load: \etc\passwd load succeeded
  703   23404 [main] mkshortcut 4904 pwdgrp::load: \etc\group curr_lines 20
   50   23454 [main] mkshortcut 4904 pwdgrp::load: \etc\group load succeeded
   40   23494 [main] mkshortcut 4904 cygheap_user::ontherange: what 2, pw 0x104491A0
   33   23527 [main] mkshortcut 4904 cygheap_user::ontherange: HOME is already in the environment /home/dants
   34   23561 [main] mkshortcut 4904 wait_for_sigthread: wait_sig_inited 0x3C
10242   33803 [sig] mkshortcut 4904 wait_sig: entering ReadFile loop, my_readsig 0x15C, my_sendsig 0x160
  138   33941 [main] mkshortcut 4904 wait_for_sigthread: process/signal handling enabled, state 0x41
  170   34111 [main] mkshortcut 4904 build_argv: argv[0] = 'C:\cygwin\bin\mkshortcut.exe'
   55   34166 [main] mkshortcut 4904 build_argv: argv[1] = '-AP'
   53   34219 [main] mkshortcut 4904 build_argv: argv[2] = '-i'
   52   34271 [main] mkshortcut 4904 build_argv: argv[3] = '/usr/bin/XWin.exe'
   53   34324 [main] mkshortcut 4904 build_argv: argv[4] = '-n'
   51   34375 [main] mkshortcut 4904 build_argv: argv[5] = 'Cygwin-X/Xwin Server'
   53   34428 [main] mkshortcut 4904 build_argv: argv[6] = '-a'
   52   34480 [main] mkshortcut 4904 build_argv: argv[7] = '/usr/bin/bash.exe -l -c  /usr/bin/startxwin.exe'
   77   34557 [main] mkshortcut 4904 build_argv: argv[8] = '/usr/bin/run.exe'
   53   34610 [main] mkshortcut 4904 build_argv: argc 9
   87   34697 [main] mkshortcut 4904 mount_info::conv_to_posix_path: conv_to_posix_path (C:\cygwin\bin\mkshortcut.exe, keep-rel, no-add-slash)
   57   34754 [main] mkshortcut 4904 normalize_win32_path: C:\cygwin\bin\mkshortcut.exe = normalize_win32_path (C:\cygwin\bin\mkshortcut.exe)
   57   34811 [main] mkshortcut 4904 mount_info::conv_to_posix_path: /usr/bin/mkshortcut.exe = conv_to_posix_path (C:\cygwin\bin\mkshortcut.exe)
  222   35033 [main] mkshortcut 4904 build_fh_pc: fh 0x612256A4
  141   35174 [main] mkshortcut 4904 open_shared: name (null), n 0, shared 0x60FE0000 (wanted 0x60FE0000), h 0x3C
   69   35243 [main] mkshortcut 4904 _pinfo::set_ctty: old no ctty
   57   35300 [main] mkshortcut 4904 _pinfo::set_ctty: attaching ctty /dev/console sid 4904, pid 4904, pgid 4904, tty->pgid 0, tty->sid 4904
  303   35603 [main] mkshortcut 4904 fhandler_base::set_flags: flags 0x10002, supplied_bin 0x0
   60   35663 [main] mkshortcut 4904 fhandler_base::set_flags: O_TEXT/O_BINARY set in flags 0x10000
   54   35717 [main] mkshortcut 4904 fhandler_base::set_flags: filemode set to binary
  529   36246 [main] mkshortcut 4904 init_cygheap::manage_console_count: fhandler_console::open: console_count 1, amount 1, ctty /dev/console, avoid_freeing_console 0
   99   36345 [main] mkshortcut 4904 fhandler_console::open: opened conin$ 0xF, conout$ 0x13
   75   36420 [main] mkshortcut 4904 fhandler_console::output_tcsetattr: 0 = tcsetattr (,60FE001C) (ENABLE FLAGS 3) (lflag 107 oflag 9)
  263   36683 [main] mkshortcut 4904 build_fh_pc: fh 0x6122592C
   58   36741 [main] mkshortcut 4904 fhandler_base::set_flags: flags 0x10001, supplied_bin 0x0
   55   36796 [main] mkshortcut 4904 fhandler_base::set_flags: O_TEXT/O_BINARY set in flags 0x10000
   53   36849 [main] mkshortcut 4904 fhandler_base::set_flags: filemode set to binary
   53   36902 [main] mkshortcut 4904 fhandler_base::init: created new fhandler_base for handle 0x254, bin 1
  119   37021 [main] mkshortcut 4904 build_fh_pc: fh 0x61225B64
   55   37076 [main] mkshortcut 4904 fhandler_base::set_flags: flags 0x10002, supplied_bin 0x0
   54   37130 [main] mkshortcut 4904 fhandler_base::set_flags: O_TEXT/O_BINARY set in flags 0x10000
   53   37183 [main] mkshortcut 4904 fhandler_base::set_flags: filemode set to binary
  534   37717 [main] mkshortcut 4904 init_cygheap::manage_console_count: fhandler_console::open: console_count 2, amount 1, ctty /dev/console, avoid_freeing_console 0
  100   37817 [main] mkshortcut 4904 fhandler_console::open: opened conin$ 0x37, conout$ 0x3B
   75   37892 [main] mkshortcut 4904 fhandler_console::output_tcsetattr: 0 = tcsetattr (,60FE001C) (ENABLE FLAGS 3) (lflag 107 oflag 9)
  110   38002 [main] mkshortcut 4904 fhandler_console::need_invisible: invisible_console 0
  341   38343 [main] mkshortcut 4904 dll_crt0_1: user_data->main 0x401180
   60   38403 [main] mkshortcut 4904 __set_errno: void dll_crt0_1(void*):936 val 0
  763   39166 [main] mkshortcut 4904 normalize_posix_path: src /usr/bin/XWin.exe
   55   39221 [main] mkshortcut 4904 normalize_posix_path: /usr/bin/XWin.exe = normalize_posix_path (/usr/bin/XWin.exe)
   61   39282 [main] mkshortcut 4904 mount_info::conv_to_win32_path: conv_to_win32_path (/usr/bin/XWin.exe)
   62   39344 [main] mkshortcut 4904 set_flags: flags: binary (0x2)
   66   39410 [main] mkshortcut 4904 mount_info::conv_to_win32_path: src_path /usr/bin/XWin.exe, dst C:\cygwin\bin\XWin.exe, flags 0x2000A, rc 0
  369   39779 [main] mkshortcut 4904 symlink_info::check: 0x0 = NtCreateFile (\??\C:\cygwin\bin\XWin.exe)
   93   39872 [main] mkshortcut 4904 symlink_info::check: not a symlink
   96   39968 [main] mkshortcut 4904 symlink_info::check: 0 = symlink.check (C:\cygwin\bin\XWin.exe, 0x22AE90) (0x82000A)
   59   40027 [main] mkshortcut 4904 path_conv::check: this->path(C:\cygwin\bin\XWin.exe), has_acls(1)
  384   40411 [main] mkshortcut 4904 normalize_posix_path: src /usr/bin/run.exe
   53   40464 [main] mkshortcut 4904 normalize_posix_path: /usr/bin/run.exe = normalize_posix_path (/usr/bin/run.exe)
   53   40517 [main] mkshortcut 4904 mount_info::conv_to_win32_path: conv_to_win32_path (/usr/bin/run.exe)
   54   40571 [main] mkshortcut 4904 set_flags: flags: binary (0x2)
   53   40624 [main] mkshortcut 4904 mount_info::conv_to_win32_path: src_path /usr/bin/run.exe, dst C:\cygwin\bin\run.exe, flags 0x2000A, rc 0
  276   40900 [main] mkshortcut 4904 symlink_info::check: 0x0 = NtCreateFile (\??\C:\cygwin\bin\run.exe)
   80   40980 [main] mkshortcut 4904 symlink_info::check: not a symlink
   83   41063 [main] mkshortcut 4904 symlink_info::check: 0 = symlink.check (C:\cygwin\bin\run.exe, 0x22AE90) (0x82000A)
   58   41121 [main] mkshortcut 4904 path_conv::check: this->path(C:\cygwin\bin\run.exe), has_acls(1)
   59   41180 [main] mkshortcut 4904 normalize_posix_path: src Cygwin-X/Xwin Server
   54   41234 [main] mkshortcut 4904 cwdstuff::get: posix /home/dants
   53   41287 [main] mkshortcut 4904 cwdstuff::get: (/home/dants) = cwdstuff::get (0x10410038, 32768, 1, 0), errno 0
   71   41358 [main] mkshortcut 4904 normalize_posix_path: /home/dants/Cygwin-X/Xwin Server = normalize_posix_path (Cygwin-X/Xwin Server)
   55   41413 [main] mkshortcut 4904 mount_info::conv_to_win32_path: conv_to_win32_path (/home/dants/Cygwin-X/Xwin Server)
   55   41468 [main] mkshortcut 4904 set_flags: flags: binary (0x2)
   53   41521 [main] mkshortcut 4904 mount_info::conv_to_win32_path: src_path /home/dants/Cygwin-X/Xwin Server, dst C:\cygwin\home\dants\Cygwin-X\Xwin Server, flags 0x3000A, rc 0
  148   41669 [main] mkshortcut 4904 symlink_info::check: 0xC000003A = NtCreateFile (\??\C:\cygwin\home\dants\Cygwin-X\Xwin Server)
   61   41730 [main] mkshortcut 4904 symlink_info::check: 0xC000003A = NtQueryInformationFile (\??\C:\cygwin\home\dants\Cygwin-X\Xwin Server)
   57   41787 [main] mkshortcut 4904 symlink_info::check: not a symlink
   52   41839 [main] mkshortcut 4904 symlink_info::check: 0 = symlink.check (C:\cygwin\home\dants\Cygwin-X\Xwin Server, 0x22AE90) (0x83000A)
   56   41895 [main] mkshortcut 4904 mount_info::conv_to_win32_path: conv_to_win32_path (/home/dants/Cygwin-X)
   54   41949 [main] mkshortcut 4904 set_flags: flags: binary (0x2)
   53   42002 [main] mkshortcut 4904 mount_info::conv_to_win32_path: src_path /home/dants/Cygwin-X, dst C:\cygwin\home\dants\Cygwin-X, flags 0x3000A, rc 0
  134   42136 [main] mkshortcut 4904 symlink_info::check: 0xC0000034 = NtCreateFile (\??\C:\cygwin\home\dants\Cygwin-X)
   62   42198 [main] mkshortcut 4904 symlink_info::check: 0xC0000034 = NtQueryInformationFile (\??\C:\cygwin\home\dants\Cygwin-X)
  139   42337 [main] mkshortcut 4904 symlink_info::check: 0xC0000034 = NtCreateFile (\??\C:\cygwin\home\dants\Cygwin-X.lnk)
   60   42397 [main] mkshortcut 4904 symlink_info::check: 0xC0000034 = NtQueryInformationFile (\??\C:\cygwin\home\dants\Cygwin-X.lnk)
   56   42453 [main] mkshortcut 4904 symlink_info::check: 0 = symlink.check (C:\cygwin\home\dants\Cygwin-X, 0x22AE90) (0x3000A)
   55   42508 [main] mkshortcut 4904 mount_info::conv_to_win32_path: conv_to_win32_path (/home/dants)
   59   42567 [main] mkshortcut 4904 set_flags: flags: binary (0x2)
   53   42620 [main] mkshortcut 4904 mount_info::conv_to_win32_path: src_path /home/dants, dst C:\cygwin\home\dants, flags 0x3000A, rc 0
  139   42759 [main] mkshortcut 4904 symlink_info::check: 0x0 = NtCreateFile (\??\C:\cygwin\home\dants)
   79   42838 [main] mkshortcut 4904 symlink_info::check: not a symlink
   82   42920 [main] mkshortcut 4904 symlink_info::check: 0 = symlink.check (C:\cygwin\home\dants, 0x22AE90) (0x3000A)
  253   43173 [main] mkshortcut 4904 path_conv::check: this->path(C:\cygwin\home\dants\Cygwin-X\Xwin Server), has_acls(1)
  121   43294 [main] mkshortcut 4904 cwdstuff::get: posix /home/dants
   53   43347 [main] mkshortcut 4904 cwdstuff::get: (C:\cygwin\home\dants) = cwdstuff::get (0x1044AD08, 32768, 0, 0), errno 0
67629  110976 [main] mkshortcut 4904 mount_info::conv_to_posix_path: conv_to_posix_path (C:\cygwin\bin\run.exe, no-keep-rel, no-add-slash)
  156  111132 [main] mkshortcut 4904 normalize_win32_path: C:\cygwin\bin\run.exe = normalize_win32_path (C:\cygwin\bin\run.exe)
   66  111198 [main] mkshortcut 4904 mount_info::conv_to_posix_path: /usr/bin/run.exe = conv_to_posix_path (C:\cygwin\bin\run.exe)
50771  161969 [main] mkshortcut 4904 close: close (0)
  218  162187 [main] mkshortcut 4904 init_cygheap::manage_console_count: fhandler_console::close: console_count 1, amount -1, ctty /dev/console, avoid_freeing_console 0
   66  162253 [main] mkshortcut 4904 close: 0 = close (0)
  425  162678 [main] mkshortcut 4904 close: close (1)
   54  162732 [main] mkshortcut 4904 fhandler_base::close: closing '' handle 0x254
   58  162790 [main] mkshortcut 4904 close: 0 = close (1)
  411  163201 [main] mkshortcut 4904 close: close (2)
  101  163302 [main] mkshortcut 4904 init_cygheap::manage_console_count: fhandler_console::close: console_count 0, amount -1, ctty /dev/console, avoid_freeing_console 0
   60  163362 [main] mkshortcut 4904 close: 0 = close (2)
  229  163591 [main] mkshortcut 4904 do_exit: do_exit (2048), exit_state 1
   59  163650 [main] mkshortcut 4904 void: 0x0 = signal (20, 0x1)
   55  163705 [main] mkshortcut 4904 void: 0x0 = signal (1, 0x1)
   53  163758 [main] mkshortcut 4904 void: 0x0 = signal (2, 0x1)
   52  163810 [main] mkshortcut 4904 void: 0x0 = signal (3, 0x1)
   84  163894 [main] mkshortcut 4904 sigproc_terminate: entering
   53  163947 [main] mkshortcut 4904 sig_send: sendsig 0x160, pid 4904, signal -42, its_me 1
   60  164007 [main] mkshortcut 4904 sig_send: Not waiting for sigcomplete.  its_me 1 signal -42
   56  164063 [main] mkshortcut 4904 sig_send: returning 0x0 from sending signal -42
   57  164120 [main] mkshortcut 4904 proc_terminate: nprocs 0
   54  164174 [main] mkshortcut 4904 proc_terminate: leaving
   54  164228 [main] mkshortcut 4904 __to_clock_t: dwHighDateTime 0, dwLowDateTime 937500
   55  164283 [main] mkshortcut 4904 __to_clock_t: total 00000000 0000005D
   53  164336 [main] mkshortcut 4904 __to_clock_t: dwHighDateTime 0, dwLowDateTime 625000
   60  164396 [main] mkshortcut 4904 __to_clock_t: total 00000000 0000003E
  877  165273 [main] mkshortcut 4904 pinfo::exit: Calling ExitProcess n 0x800, exitcode 0x8

* Re: Unable to install X on 64-bit Windows 7 Premium
@ 2010-08-16  6:36       ` Andy Koppe
From: Andy Koppe @ 2010-08-16  6:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

On 15 August 2010 18:32, Dan Tsafrir wrote:
>> I've done exactly this, then tried to install some X stuff and got:
>>
>>    Package: xinit
>>            xinit.sh exit code 8
>>    Package: No package
>>            xinit.sh exit code 8
>>

> It turns out that the above error message is generated by the second
> (and final) line of /etc/postinstall/xinit.sh, which attempts to
> create the "Cygwin-X/Xwin Server" menu shortcut, using
> /usr/bin/mkshortcut.exe; I can't tell why the latter fails, but I've
> attached the output of strace to hopefully provide a clue.

It's due to a known bug in mkshortcut, which is missing a 'return 0;'
statement. Sorry 'bout that.

Andy