* gvim tiny font in 1.7.7
@ 2010-09-22 15:34 David T-G
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: David T-G @ 2010-09-22 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin XFree list

Hi, all --

[Let's see if I can provide all of the details the first time instead of
having to go back and forth just for foundation... :-]

I have used Cygwin for years and have been using the cygwin gvim (versus
the Windows-native vim + gvim) for some time now.  I had occasion to do a
fresh install of 1.7.7 on a freshly-rebuilt laptop after a hard drive
crash and so I don't think that I have any of the upgrade gotchas biting
me, but stranger things have happened :-)

When I first started gvim after my install, the font was invisibly tiny
both for the content and for the menus.  [Note that both xterm and rxvt-X
are fine.]  Using another computer to see where I was going and matching
the keystrokes I attempted to set the font to "Lucida Console 12" but
found no change.  I have manually (a bummer, but I gather from the FAQs
that the lack of dependency linking is temporary) added the font-bh-dpi75
and font-bh-lucidatypewriter-dpi75 packages with no effect.  I have set
the guifont variable in my .vimrc file, and the tiny window was somewhat
differently sized but still tiny.  Finally, I have of course googled for
"cygwin +gvim +font (size or tiny)" and similar to see what others have
found, but I haven't matched anything more useful than the guifont
setting.

What do I need to fix and where to make my gvim readable?

TIA & HAND

:-D
--
David T-G
See http://justpickone.org/davidtg/email/

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 187 bytes --]

* Re: gvim tiny font in 1.7.7
@ 2010-09-25 18:25 ` Frédéric Bron
From: Frédéric Bron @ 2010-09-25 18:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

> When I first started gvim after my install, the font was invisibly tiny
> both for the content and for the menus.

It is funny, I got exactly the same a few days ago. What is funny is
that today it works perfectly. Have you tried to restart your X
server?

Frédéric

* Re: gvim tiny font in 1.7.7
@ 2010-09-27  0:51 ` David T-G
From: David T-G @ 2010-09-27  0:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin XFree list

Hi again, all --

...and then David T-G said...
%
% Hi, all --
%
% When I first started gvim after my install, the font was invisibly tiny
% both for the content and for the menus.  [Note that both xterm and rxvt-X
[snip]

Frederic asked if I had restarted my X server.  I have logged out and in
and even rebooted numerous times since installing but still have the same
problem.

TIA again & HAND

:-D
--

@ 2010-09-27 15:05 ` Jon TURNEY
From: Jon TURNEY @ 2010-09-27 15:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree; +Cc: d10

On 22/09/2010 16:34, David T-G wrote:
> Hi, all --
>
> [Let's see if I can provide all of the details the first time instead of
> having to go back and forth just for foundation... :-]

Can you attach your /var/log/XWin.0.log, please?

> I have used Cygwin for years and have been using the cygwin gvim (versus
> the Windows-native vim + gvim) for some time now.  I had occasion to do a
> fresh install of 1.7.7 on a freshly-rebuilt laptop after a hard drive
> crash and so I don't think that I have any of the upgrade gotchas biting
> me, but stranger things have happened :-)
>
> When I first started gvim after my install, the font was invisibly tiny
> both for the content and for the menus.  [Note that both xterm and rxvt-X
> are fine.]  Using another computer to see where I was going and matching
> the keystrokes I attempted to set the font to "Lucida Console 12" but
> found no change.  I have manually (a bummer, but I gather from the FAQs
> that the lack of dependency linking is temporary) added the font-bh-dpi75
> and font-bh-lucidatypewriter-dpi75 packages with no effect.  I have set
> the guifont variable in my .vimrc file, and the tiny window was somewhat
> differently sized but still tiny.  Finally, I have of course googled for
> "cygwin +gvim +font (size or tiny)" and similar to see what others have
> found, but I haven't matched anything more useful than the guifont
> setting.
>
> What do I need to fix and where to make my gvim readable?

--
Jon TURNEY
Volunteer Cygwin/X X Server maintainer

* Re: gvim tiny font in 1.7.7
@ 2010-10-01 10:23   ` David T-G
From: David T-G @ 2010-10-01 10:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Jon, et al --

Sorry for the tardy response; both work AND life got in the way suddenly.

...and then Jon TURNEY said...
%
% On 22/09/2010 16:34, David T-G wrote:
% >
% >[Let's see if I can provide all of the details the first time instead of
% >having to go back and forth just for foundation... :-]
%
% Can you attach your /var/log/XWin.0.log, please?
[snip]

Attached.  Thanks again!

HAND

:-D
--
David T-G
See http://justpickone.org/davidtg/email/
See http://justpickone.org/davidtg/tofu.txt

[-- Attachment #1.2: XWin.0.log.gz --]
[-- Type: application/x-gunzip, Size: 1822 bytes --]

@ 2010-10-06 14:08     ` Jon TURNEY
From: Jon TURNEY @ 2010-10-06 14:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree; +Cc: d10

On 01/10/2010 11:23, David T-G wrote:
> Jon, et al --
>
> Sorry for the tardy response; both work AND life got in the way suddenly.
>
> ...and then Jon TURNEY said...
> %
> % On 22/09/2010 16:34, David T-G wrote:
> %>
> %>[Let's see if I can provide all of the details the first time instead of
> %>having to go back and forth just for foundation... :-]
> %
> % Can you attach your /var/log/XWin.0.log, please?
> [snip]
>
> Attached.  Thanks again!

Hmm.. that looks ok.

> When I first started gvim after my install, the font was invisibly tiny
> both for the content and for the menus.  [Note that both xterm and rxvt-X
> are fine.]  Using another computer to see where I was going and matching
> the keystrokes I attempted to set the font to "Lucida Console 12" but
> found no change.  I have manually (a bummer, but I gather from the FAQs
> that the lack of dependency linking is temporary) added the font-bh-dpi75
> and font-bh-lucidatypewriter-dpi75 packages with no effect.  I have set
> the guifont variable in my .vimrc file, and the tiny window was somewhat
> differently sized but still tiny.  Finally, I have of course googled for
> "cygwin +gvim +font (size or tiny)" and similar to see what others have
> found, but I haven't matched anything more useful than the guifont
> setting.

I'm assuming gvim is behaving as if you have a massive DPI, i.e. if you
increase the font size, it does get bigger, but just not big enough to be
readable?

Does 'xrdb -query | grep dpi' output anything?

--

@ 2010-10-08 11:32       ` David T-G
From: David T-G @ 2010-10-08 11:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Jon, et al --

...and then Jon TURNEY said...
%
% On 01/10/2010 11:23, David T-G wrote:
% >
% >When I first started gvim after my install, the font was invisibly tiny
% >both for the content and for the menus.  [Note that both xterm and rxvt-X
%
% I'm assuming gvim is behaving as if you have a massive DPI, i.e. if you
% increase the font size, it does get bigger, but just not big enough to be
% readable?

Correct.  In fact, I dare say it's well-nigh undetectable; I can't even
make out any text at all.

%
% Does 'xrdb -query | grep dpi' output anything?

Alas, no; in fact,

  xrdb -query

doesn't return anything at all.

%
% --
% Jon TURNEY
% Volunteer Cygwin/X X Server maintainer

Thanks again & HAND

:-D
--

@ 2010-10-23 10:17         ` David T-G
From: David T-G @ 2010-10-23 10:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Hi again, all --

I didn't hear any reply to my last note (or even see it posted), but in
case that one made it out and this one can as well, ...

...and then David T-G said...
%
% ...and then Jon TURNEY said...
% %
% % Does 'xrdb -query | grep dpi' output anything?
%
% Alas, no; in fact,
%
%   xrdb -query
%
% doesn't return anything at all.

I haven't loaded any Cygwin updates.  I haven't loaded any Windows
updates.  I still get nothing from xrdb.  I've rebooted more times
than I can remember.  I'm using the same user account.  As far as I
can tell, nothing has changed.

But suddenly it works!  After this morning's reboot, I was restarting
everything (always a chore under Windows *sigh*) and on a lark tried
gvim again.  I was floored to see it come up quite visibly, and even
with some font I didn't quite recognize.  Typing

  :set guifont

showed me that it was sans, which is interesting but probably came
from not being able to find Lucida Console on my machine.  I changed
my guifont line in my .vimrc file to Courier Bold and it worked just
fine.  I ripped it out entirely and I go tthe familiar gvim font.  I
played with the size in my guifont line and gvim behaved.  I selected
my font in gvim itself countless times and it behaved.  WTF?!?

I hate these kinds of errors because it's so incredibly hard to get a
real resolution to the problem, but I'll not turn down having my gvim
work again :-)

Thanks to all for trying to help!

:-D
--
David T-G
See http://justpickone.org/davidtg/email/
See http://justpickone.org/davidtg/tofu.txt

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 187 bytes --]

* Re: gvim tiny font in 1.7.7 (back again)
@ 2010-10-25 10:25           ` David T-G
From: David T-G @ 2010-10-25 10:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Hi again, folks --

...and then David T-G said...
%
% I hate these kinds of errors because it's so incredibly hard to get a
% real resolution to the problem, but I'll not turn down having my gvim
% work again :-)

Even that is taken from me now.  I had gvim happily open on a file,
closed it, opened another file, and we're tiny.  When I have

  set guifont=Courier\ Bold\ 10

in my .vimrc it is at least visible, although still small, and doesn't
change with the font size, but it does change size if I specify different
fonts (ie Lucida at any size is wider than Courier or Courier Bold at any
size, while Times New Roman is very small); when I comment it out I'm back
to the crazy tiny that I had before.

Any more ideas? :-(

TIA again & HAND

:-D
--

@ 2010-10-26  4:15           ` Frédéric Bron
From: Frédéric Bron @ 2010-10-26  4:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

If this may help, I experienced again this problem today, right after
switching to a second monitor (which changed my screen resolution).
I restart the X server and it came back again.
Frédéric

* Re: gvim tiny font in 1.7.7 (back again)
@ 2010-10-26 13:01             ` Jon TURNEY
                                 ` (2 more replies)
From: Jon TURNEY @ 2010-10-26 13:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree; +Cc: d10

On 25/10/2010 11:25, David T-G wrote:
> Hi again, folks --
>
> ...and then David T-G said...
> %
> % I hate these kinds of errors because it's so incredibly hard to get a
> % real resolution to the problem, but I'll not turn down having my gvim
> % work again :-)
>
> Even that is taken from me now.  I had gvim happily open on a file,
> closed it, opened another file, and we're tiny.  When I have
>
>    set guifont=Courier\ Bold\ 10
>
> in my .vimrc it is at least visible, although still small, and doesn't
> change with the font size, but it does change size if I specify different
> fonts (ie Lucida at any size is wider than Courier or Courier Bold at any
> size, while Times New Roman is very small); when I comment it out I'm back
> to the crazy tiny that I had before.
>
> Any more ideas? :-(

More questions, certainly.

 From the examples you have given (xterm works, gvim doesn't), I was assuming
that this meant that core (server-side) fonts are correctly sized, Xft
(client-side) fonts aren't.

But perhaps you mean that gvim is the only application which shows this problem?

You might compare the appearance of the fonts shown by 'xfd -fa Courier' and
'xfd -fn -*-courier-medium-r-*-*-*-120-*-*-*-*-*-*' to test that.

--

@ 2010-10-27 11:30               ` David T-G
From: David T-G @ 2010-10-27 11:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Jon, et al --

...and then Jon TURNEY said...
%
% On 25/10/2010 11:25, David T-G wrote:
% >
% >Any more ideas? :-(
%
% More questions, certainly.
%
% You might compare the appearance of the fonts shown by 'xfd -fa Courier'
% and 'xfd -fn -*-courier-medium-r-*-*-*-120-*-*-*-*-*-*' to test that.

Oops...  No xfd installed at the moment.  In fact, of my /usr/bin/x*
programs, I think that only xterm and xpdf are applicable, and xpdf
essentially just shows graphics.

I'll report back as soon as I can install xfd and give it a try :-)
In the mean time, if you can recommend any other programs to be sure
I have so as to run tests, let me know.

Thanks again & HAND

:-D
--

@ 2010-10-28  0:53               ` Frédéric Bron
From: Frédéric Bron @ 2010-10-28  0:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree; +Cc: d10

> But perhaps you mean that gvim is the only application which shows this
> problem?

When I have the problem, it is not only gvim but also gv for example.
It seems it has to do with screen resolution change (see my previous
email).
Frédéric

* Re: gvim tiny font in 1.7.7 (back again)
@ 2010-10-28  1:41               ` David T-G
From: David T-G @ 2010-10-28  1:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Jon, et al --

...and then Jon TURNEY said...
%
% On 25/10/2010 11:25, David T-G wrote:
% >
% >Any more ideas? :-(
%
% But perhaps you mean that gvim is the only application which shows this
% problem?

Yup -- so far, anyway.

%
% You might compare the appearance of the fonts shown by 'xfd -fa Courier'
% and 'xfd -fn -*-courier-medium-r-*-*-*-120-*-*-*-*-*-*' to test that.

I'm back with xfd loaded now.  Sure enough, the two are distinctly
different; the former is smaller than the latter, although not so tiny as
to be invisible as in gvim.  This sure sounds like a lead, though!

I am leery of posting attachments to the mailing list, so I haven't
attached screen shots of the xfd layouts.  In addition, I ran xlsfonts
and it generated 2582 lines; that's probably more than I should paste
here.  Let me know what information I can provide, however.

Soooo...  What do I do to make my fonts all be happy?

Thanks again & HANN

:-D
--

@ 2010-10-28  1:43                 ` David T-G
From: David T-G @ 2010-10-28  1:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Frédéric Bron, cygwin-xfree

Frédéric --

...and then Frédéric Bron said...
%
% > But perhaps you mean that gvim is the only application which shows this
% > problem?
%
% When I have the problem, it is not only gvim but also gv for example.
% It seems it has to do with screen resolution change (see my previous
% email).

I didn't see that, but perhaps because I am not a list subscriber and
didn't see it go by.  I don't use many X apps, however, so there isn't
much comparison :-/

% Frédéric

Thanks & HANN

:-D
--

@ 2010-10-28 16:47                 ` Jon TURNEY
From: Jon TURNEY @ 2010-10-28 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree; +Cc: Frédéric Bron

On 28/10/2010 01:53, Frédéric Bron wrote:
>> But perhaps you mean that gvim is the only application which shows this
>> problem?
>
> When I have the problem, it is not only gvim but also gv for example.
> It seems it has to do with screen resolution change (see my previous
> email).
> Frédéric

Aha.

It seems we have a bug causing the DPI to be set to random values after a resize.

$ xdpyinfo.exe | grep -A2 'screen #0'
screen #0:
   dimensions:    2560x1600 pixels (13107x41779 millimeters)
   resolution:    5x1 dots per inch

I've uploaded a snapshot with a fix at [1], perhaps you can test that?

[1] ftp://cygwin.com/pub/cygwinx/XWin.20101028-git-edd6452650ede026.exe.bz2

--

@ 2010-10-28 16:57                 ` Jon TURNEY
From: Jon TURNEY @ 2010-10-28 16:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree; +Cc: d10

On 28/10/2010 02:41, David T-G wrote:
> Jon, et al --
>
> ...and then Jon TURNEY said...
> %
> % On 25/10/2010 11:25, David T-G wrote:
> %>
> %>Any more ideas? :-(
> %
> % But perhaps you mean that gvim is the only application which shows this
> % problem?
>
> Yup -- so far, anyway.
>

> %
> % You might compare the appearance of the fonts shown by 'xfd -fa Courier'
> % and 'xfd -fn -*-courier-medium-r-*-*-*-120-*-*-*-*-*-*' to test that.
>
> I'm back with xfd loaded now.  Sure enough, the two are distinctly
> different; the former is smaller than the latter, although not so tiny as
> to be invisible as in gvim.  This sure sounds like a lead, though!
>
> I am leery of posting attachments to the mailing list, so I haven't
> attached screen shots of the xfd layouts.  In addition, I ran xlsfonts
> and it generated 2582 lines; that's probably more than I should paste
> here.  Let me know what information I can provide, however.
>
> Soooo...  What do I do to make my fonts all be happy?

The fonts aren't supposed to be visually identical, as they are potentially
different fonts being draw by different renderers.  But the sizes should be
approximately the same.

Let me try asking the question a different way: Does 'xfd -fa
"Courier-10:style=Bold"' show a reasonably sized font at the same time as
gvim, with that font set, doesn't? (In which case one might conclude this is
probably a gvim bug)

I don't think this is quite the same problem as reported by Frédéric Bron, as
you don't seem to be using -resize.

--

@ 2010-10-28 17:31                   ` David T-G
From: David T-G @ 2010-10-28 17:31 UTC (permalink / raw)