* How to properly start xwin at windows seven startup?
@ 2012-02-02 17:49 David Karr
From: David Karr @ 2012-02-02 17:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

I've had an old version of Cygwin running on a WinXP laptop for quite
a while.  I made it run "startxwin.bat" on startup.  I'm now setting
up the latest Cygwin on a Win7 laptop.  The FAQ is saying to not use
the "startxwin.bat" file (as it doesn't exist anymore), and use the
exe file. However, it also says to not start it directly from Windows.
 It needs to be started from a login shell.  What is the proper way to
start the Xwin server at Windows startup?  I didn't see this in the
FAQ, and I didn't find any obvious answers in searches.

* Re: How to properly start xwin at windows seven startup?
@ 2012-02-02 19:56 ` Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2012-02-02 19:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

On 2/2/2012 12:49 PM, David Karr wrote:
> I've had an old version of Cygwin running on a WinXP laptop for quite
> a while.  I made it run "startxwin.bat" on startup.  I'm now setting
> up the latest Cygwin on a Win7 laptop.  The FAQ is saying to not use
> the "startxwin.bat" file (as it doesn't exist anymore), and use the
> exe file. However, it also says to not start it directly from Windows.
>   It needs to be started from a login shell.  What is the proper way to
> start the Xwin server at Windows startup?  I didn't see this in the
> FAQ, and I didn't find any obvious answers in searches.

http://x.cygwin.com/docs/ug/using.html#using-starting

* Re: How to properly start xwin at windows seven startup?
@ 2012-02-02 20:08 ` Yaakov (Cygwin/X)
From: Yaakov (Cygwin/X) @ 2012-02-02 20:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

On Thu, 2012-02-02 at 09:49 -0800, David Karr wrote:
> I've had an old version of Cygwin running on a WinXP laptop for quite
> a while.  I made it run "startxwin.bat" on startup.  I'm now setting
> up the latest Cygwin on a Win7 laptop.  The FAQ is saying to not use
> the "startxwin.bat" file (as it doesn't exist anymore), and use the
> exe file. However, it also says to not start it directly from Windows.
>  It needs to be started from a login shell.  What is the proper way to
> start the Xwin server at Windows startup?  I didn't see this in the
> FAQ, and I didn't find any obvious answers in searches.

Presuming you want to start XWin in multiwindow mode, the xinit package
installs an "XWin Server" shortcut into the Start Menu.  Copy this
shortcut into your Startup folder and you should get the desired result.

Yaakov
Cygwin/X

* Re: How to properly start xwin at windows seven startup?
@ 2012-02-03  0:09   ` David Karr
From: David Karr @ 2012-02-03  0:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

On Thu, Feb 2, 2012 at 12:08 PM, Yaakov (Cygwin/X)
<yselkowitz@users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
> On Thu, 2012-02-02 at 09:49 -0800, David Karr wrote:
>> I've had an old version of Cygwin running on a WinXP laptop for quite
>> a while.  I made it run "startxwin.bat" on startup.  I'm now setting
>> up the latest Cygwin on a Win7 laptop.  The FAQ is saying to not use
>> the "startxwin.bat" file (as it doesn't exist anymore), and use the
>> exe file. However, it also says to not start it directly from Windows.
>>  It needs to be started from a login shell.  What is the proper way to
>> start the Xwin server at Windows startup?  I didn't see this in the
>> FAQ, and I didn't find any obvious answers in searches.
>
> Presuming you want to start XWin in multiwindow mode, the xinit package
> installs an "XWin Server" shortcut into the Start Menu.  Copy this
> shortcut into your Startup folder and you should get the desired result.

That appeared to do the trick, thanks.