I am currently using the X server on a Windows 7 64 bit host for Firefox (in particular, occasional terminals too). While everything works, I am experiencing very severe memory page faulting causing the graphical interface to appear to hang for several seconds at a time, and when not appearing hung, responsiveness is very painfully slow, sometimes to the extent that I will type a paragraph and then sit back and watch as the graphical interface slowly displays what I typed at a rate of 1-2 characters per second. This seems to be more pronounced with more tabs open in Firefox, even when nothing has been loaded in the tabs. More separate windows also has the same result. At first, I thought I was simply out of memory; however, I checked task manager and found that my windows host had more than 500 MB free and roughly 1 GB used for cache for a total of 1.5 GB available. Looking at the processes list, I found the Page Fault Delta for the Xwin.exe process was often greater than 10K when I was experiencing the poor responsiveness and greater than 30K when experiencing the temporary hangs. I've also tested this immediately after a full reboot, when I had >3GB available and >2GB free ram with the same results. During all of these tests, the memory Working Set, Private Working Set, and Commit Size never seem to reach, let alone exceed, 50 MB. I went through all of the options listed in the doc for the Xwin binary, and was unable to find anything that seemed even remotely related. I am also unable to reproduce this with other X servers, so currently have to assume it is something I'm setting up incorrectly or something within the Xwin binary. Testing with antivirus and firewall enabled/disabled did not affect the results. (faq reference http://x.cygwin.com/docs/faq/cygwin-x-faq.html#poor-performance found during searches). Also tested with and without tunneling though ssh with no difference in the results. In further testing, I have reproduced this on Windows 7 64 bit with both the 32 and 64 bit builds of Xwin, and on Windows XP (32 and 64 bit) with both the 32 and 64 bit builds of Xwin. machine 1 hardware for testing Intel Core 2 Duo (e8600 @ 3.3 GHz) 4 GB ram ATI Radeon HD 3470 (2 GB ram) tested with Windows 7 64 bit and Windows XP 32 bit machine 2 hardware for testing Intel Core 2 Duo (e8600 @ 3.3 GHz) 8 GB ram ATI Radeon HD 3470 (2 GB ram) tested with Windows XP 64 bit google searched used without useful results: Xwin extreme memory page fault Xwin excessive memory page fault Xwin memory page fault Xwin page fault Xwin hang memory Xwin pause memory Xwin slow memory Searched the mailing list archives for the same terms minus "Xwin" and also did not get any useful results. (nearest to useful faq reference noted above). I'm willing to reconfigure and retest with new parameters, but I've run out of ideas myself on how to resolve the extreme memory page faulting the Xwin binary is doing. For that matter, I'm willing to change settings in source files and recompile, but I'm not a programmer and don't really know what I'm looking at in the source files... Thank you in advance for your time and expertise in pointing me in the correct direction to continue tracing this issue. --- Erik -- "I do not think any of us are truly sane, Caleb. Not even you. Courage is not sanity. Being willing to die for someone else is not sanity." ... "Love is not sane, nor is faith." ... "If sanity lacks those things, Caleb, I want no part of it." -- Alexandria Terri in "Weaving the Wyvern" by Alexis Desiree Thorne - http://alexisthorne.webs.com/