From: Michael DePaulo <mikedep333@gmail.com>
To: cygwin-xfree@cygwin.com
Subject: How do fonts work when you have no font packages installed?
Date: Fri, 04 Jul 2014 07:16:00 -0000	[thread overview]

I tried to send this email previously, but I think it did not go
through because I was not subscribed to the list yet.
--------

Hi,

I just installed cygwin64 with only the base packages, "xorg-server",
and its dependencies installed.

The FAQ (2014-04-29) states:
3.5. My favourite font has gone! The font Emacs uses is just boxes
Only minimal fonts will be installed after the upgrade.

However, on my system, /usr/share/fonts/ is empty.

Yet I am able to XDMCP into a GNOME2 CentOS 6.5 machine and all the
fonts show up fine with the handful of apps I tested.

Can someone explain how text is being rendered? Is Cygwin Xwin using
fonts from the Windows OS? Are the fonts being rendered client-side via XRender?

Thanks in advance,
-Mike

mike@executor /usr
$ uname -a
CYGWIN_NT-6.3 executor 1.7.30(0.272/5/3) 2014-05-23 10:36 x86_64 Cygwin

mike@executor /usr
$ find . | grep fonts
./share/doc/groff-1.22.2/examples/hdtbl/fonts_n.ps
./share/doc/groff-1.22.2/examples/hdtbl/fonts_n.roff
./share/doc/groff-1.22.2/examples/hdtbl/fonts_x.ps
./share/doc/groff-1.22.2/examples/hdtbl/fonts_x.roff

mike@executor /usr
$ cd share

mike@executor /usr/share
$ ls
awk  file   icons  locale  man   p11-kit    pki     terminfo  texmf  zoneinfo
doc  groff  info   magic   misc  pkgconfig  tabset  texinfo   X11

mike@executor /usr/share
$ X -query galactica