* problems running Cygwin/x
@ 2014-09-21 16:56 t s
From: t s @ 2014-09-21 16:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: marco.atzeri, cygwin-xfree, jon.turney

I successfully installed Cygwin/x on an NTFS drive

unfortunately the menu items are limited to;

one item for Cygwin (cygwin64 terminal)

five items for cygwinx (GNOME openbox, KDE openbox, openbox, xlaunch, xwin server)

please see graphic at;      http://cpm86.com/menu.jpg

if I try GNOME Openbox, or KDE Openbox, or Openbox; it appears to start, but I cannot run xclock and there is no X server icon in the lower right icon panel

if I try xlaunch, it shows a dialog "select display settings", then "select how to start clients", then "extra settings"; then it shows an 'X' icon in the lower RH panel; and when I right-mouse-click the X icon, choose applications/xterm, it brings up a terminal window where I can run xclock etc

if I try "xwin server" it doesn't bring up the xlaunch dialogs, instead it immediately opens a terminal window where I can start xclock etc

essentially I want to be sure Cygwin/x has installed correctly; particularly the three Openbox options do not seem to do anything; should they be bringing up some sort of GNOME or KDE desktop?

* Re: problems running Cygwin/x
@ 2014-09-26 15:00 ` Jon TURNEY
From: Jon TURNEY @ 2014-09-26 15:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree; +Cc: furriner67

On 21/09/2014 17:56, t s wrote:
> I successfully installed Cygwin/x on an NTFS drive
>
> unfortunately the menu items are limited to;
>
> one item for Cygwin (cygwin64 terminal)
> five items for cygwinx (GNOME openbox, KDE openbox, openbox, xlaunch, xwin server)

> if I try GNOME Openbox, or KDE Openbox, or Openbox; it appears to
> start, but I cannot run xclock and there is no X server icon in the
> lower right icon panel
[...]
> essentially I want to be sure Cygwin/x has installed
> correctly; particularly the three Openbox options do not seem to do
> anything; should they be bringing up some sort of GNOME or KDE
> desktop?

It seems that the open start menu links don't work correctly anymore.

It seems that shortcut targets like 'C:\cygwin64\bin\run.exe
/usr/bin/bash.exe -l -c "/usr/bin/startx /usr/bin/openbox-session"' need
the new --quote option in run-1.3.3 to work correctly.

Thanks for drawing this problem to my attention.

--
Jon TURNEY
Volunteer Cygwin/X X Server maintainer

* RE: problems running Cygwin/x
@ 2014-09-26 18:00   ` t s
From: t s @ 2014-09-26 18:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jon.turney, cygwin-xfree

When you make the changes to "run-1.3.3", can you email me and say when I should re-install the appropriate packages please?

my email is   furriner67@hotmail.com

thank you