* X no longer spawning windows after update
@ 2015-07-24  0:27 l.wood
From: l.wood @ 2015-07-24  0:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Updated cygwin 32-bit with installer, now X no longer spawning windows or terminal on launch. Just seems to hang after running startxwin. Is there anything obvious in the log below?

(eight mouse buttons? on a three-button mouse?)

thanks

Lloyd Wood
http://savi.sf.net

$ startxwin

Could not load crashreporter dll
Welcome to the XWin X Server
Vendor: The Cygwin/X Project
Release: 1.17.1.0
OS: CYGWIN_NT-6.1-WOW AU00200164 2.1.0(0.287/5/3) 2015-07-14 21:26 i686
OS: Windows 7 Service Pack 1 [Windows NT 6.1 build 7601] (WoW64)
Package: version 1.17.1-5 built 2015-06-02

XWin was started with the following command line:

/usr/bin/XWin :16 -multiwindow -auth
 /home/lloydwood/.serverauth.15464

Could not load crashreporter dll
(II) xorg.conf is not supported
(II) See http://x.cygwin.com/docs/faq/cygwin-x-faq.html for more information
LoadPreferences: /home/lloydwood/.XWinrc not found
LoadPreferences: Loading /etc/X11/system.XWinrc
LoadPreferences: Done parsing the configuration file...
winDetectSupportedEngines - DirectDraw4 installed, allowing ShadowDDNL
winDetectSupportedEngines - Returning, supported engines 00000005
winSetEngine - Multi Window or Rootless => ShadowGDI
winScreenInit - Using Windows display depth of 32 bits per pixel
winAllocateFBShadowGDI - Creating DIB with width: 3046 height: 1191 depth: 32
winFinishScreenInitFB - Masks: 00ff0000 0000ff00 000000ff
winInitVisualsShadowGDI - Masks 00ff0000 0000ff00 000000ff BPRGB 8 d 24 bpp 32
MIT-SHM extension disabled due to lack of kernel support
XFree86-Bigfont extension local-client optimization disabled due to lack of shar                               ed memory support in the kernel
glWinSelectGLimplementation: Loaded 'cygnativeGLthunk.dll'
(II) AIGLX: Testing pixelFormatIndex 1
GL_VERSION:     4.0.0 - Build 9.18.10.3324
GL_VENDOR:      Intel
GL_RENDERER:    Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600
(II) AIGLX: enabled GLX_SGI_make_current_read
(II) AIGLX: enabled GLX_MESA_copy_sub_buffer
(II) AIGLX: enabled GLX_SGI_swap_control and GLX_MESA_swap_control
(II) AIGLX: enabled GLX_SGIX_pbuffer
(II) AIGLX: enabled GLX_ARB_multisample and GLX_SGIS_multisample
(II) 67 pixel formats reported by wglGetPixelFormatAttribivARB
(II) AIGLX: Set GLX version to 1.4
(II) 22 fbConfigs
(II) ignored pixel formats: 0 not OpenGL, 6 RBGA float, 3 RGBA unsigned float, 0                                unknown pixel type, 36 unaccelerated
(II) GLX: Initialized Win32 native WGL GL provider for screen 0
winPointerWarpCursor - Discarding first warp: 1523 595
(--) 8 mouse buttons found
(--) Setting autorepeat to delay=500, rate=31
(--) Windows keyboard layout: "00000409" (00000409) "US", type 4
(--) Found matching XKB configuration "English (USA)"
(--) Model = "pc105" Layout = "us" Variant = "none" Options = "none"
Rules = "base" Model = "pc105" Layout = "us" Variant = "none" Options = "none"
winInitMultiWindowWM - DISPLAY=:16.0
winMultiWindowXMsgProc - DISPLAY=:16.0
winProcEstablishConnection - winInitClipboard returned.
winClipboardThreadProc - DISPLAY=:16.0
OS maintains clipboard viewer chain: yes
winInitMultiWindowWM - XOpenDisplay () returned and successfully opened the disp                               lay.
winMultiWindowXMsgProc - XOpenDisplay () returned and successfully opened the di                               splay.
winClipboardProc - XOpenDisplay () returned and successfully opened the display.
winMultiWindowXMsgProcErrorHandler - ERROR: BadMatch (invalid parameter attribut                               es)

* Re: X no longer spawning windows after update
@ 2015-07-24 13:04 ` Jon TURNEY
From: Jon TURNEY @ 2015-07-24 13:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree; +Cc: l.wood

On 24/07/2015 01:27, l.wood@surrey.ac.uk wrote:
> Updated cygwin 32-bit with installer, now X no longer spawning
> windows or terminal on launch. Just seems to hang after running
> startxwin. Is there anything obvious in the log below?

I think what you are seeing is the deliberate change described in the
last bullet point of [1]

The log you provide looks normal.

[1] https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-announce/2015-07/msg00013.html

> (--) 8 mouse buttons found
> (eight mouse buttons? on a three-button mouse?)

The value logged here comes from GetSystemMetrics(SM_CMOUSEBUTTONS)

Some USB mice seem to report incorrect values.  I'm guessing this is
something like the maximum number of buttons the microcontroller inside
can support, rather than the number which are actually physically present.

This value is only used to see if it's not 2, in which case
-emulate3buttons is enabled by default.

I'm not sure what can be done about this, except perhaps changing
"found" to "reported" :D

--
Jon TURNEY
Volunteer Cygwin/X X Server maintainer

* Re: X no longer spawning windows after update
@ 2015-07-25  8:00   ` l.wood
From: l.wood @ 2015-07-25  8:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

so the X graphic that started appearing floating in the top left corner of a screen, but no longer does, had some sort of menu associated with it? Who knew?

Yes, new notification bar icon (occasionally two?) has xterm option in pop up menu in pop up window of all notification icons, of which there are alas many. How to restore old launch-an-xterm-at-x-launch behaviour?

Think it would be good if the Cygwin installer threw vital changes to behaviour in packages (like the one referenced below) in face to click through before doing installs. If it's a deliberate change, document it in the installer loading in package-specific readmes so that user accepts the change before discovery and being launched into the unknown,

'Detected two mouse buttons, so emulating three' / 'Detected more than two mouse buttons, so assuming three are available' seems easy enough.

@ 2015-07-25 12:40     ` Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2015-07-25 12:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

On 7/25/2015 4:00 AM, xxx wrote:
> Think it would be good if the Cygwin installer threw vital changes to behaviour in packages (like the one referenced below) in face to click through before doing installs. If it's a deliberate change, document it in the installer loading in package-specific readmes so that user accepts the change before discovery and being launched into the unknown,

You could also subscribe to the cygwin-announce list.  It's a low-volume
list and shouldn't be much of a burden.

Ken