* Problem with gv
@ 2004-02-20 18:10 Michel Abdalla
From: Michel Abdalla @ 2004-02-20 18:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Hi,

I have recently installed cygwin on my machine and almost everything has
been working fine so far. The only exception is that I'm not able to
view ps files. The error message I get is

  "Error: PostScript interpreter failed in main window"

The problem does not seem to be related to a specific ps file as I tried
with several different files.  I noticed in the mail archive that someone
else has also experienced the same problem.

Best regards,
Michel

* Re: Problem with gv
@ 2004-02-20 18:44 ` Igor Pechtchanski
From: Igor Pechtchanski @ 2004-02-20 18:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

On Fri, 20 Feb 2004, Michel Abdalla wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have recently installed cygwin on my machine and almost everything has
> been working fine so far. The only exception is that I'm not able to
> view ps files. The error message I get is
>
>   "Error: PostScript interpreter failed in main window"
>
> The problem does not seem to be related to a specific ps file as I tried
> with several different files.  I noticed in the mail archive that someone
> else has also experienced the same problem.
>
> Best regards,
> Michel

Did you happen to notice the solution as well?  FWIW, we can only guess
what your problem is without a cygcheck output (as requested in
<http://cygwin.com/problems.html>), but it's likely that you either don't
have the 'ghostscript-x11' package installed, or that the non-X version of
ghostscript is first in your PATH.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

* Re: Problem with gv
@ 2004-04-14 23:18 Comet 650-839-1410
From: Comet 650-839-1410 @ 2004-04-14 23:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: CYGWIN-XFREE

I also get  the message:

"Error: PostScript interpreter failed in main window"

when running gv, after updating all cygwin packages and attempting:

$ gv /usr/share/doc/gnuplot-3.8j.0/psdoc/ps_guide.ps

The /etc/profile which got installed had:

PATH="/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:$PATH"

export PATH

Changing this to follow Igor's suggestion to:

PATH="/usr/X11R6/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:$PATH"

export PATH

SOLVED THE PROBLEM.

P.S.  For naive readers who need this solution; remember to
$ source /etc/profile
after making the change, to see gv work in your current window.

Disclaimer:  This solution is designed and tested for using the bash shell, in those situations where /etc/profile is executed....