* Re: TTF-font rendering not working anymore
@ 2003-11-21  7:34 Lev Bishop
From: Lev Bishop @ 2003-11-21  7:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Harold, you wanted a three-click test case:
$ xfontsel
wait for it to finish parsing all the fonts. Note that it displays the
alphabet in some default font at the bottom of the window.
Click on family and choose a TTF from the list, eg. one of the Luxis.
Note that the alphabet is no longer displayed.
Just one click, three is not needed.

There are programmes ttfmkfdir, mkfontscale, mkfontdir, which need to be
run when adding new fonts or directories, but the files they create are
already present and rerunning them doesn't change things. Anyway, the
fonts show up in the xfontsel list, so I think the problem is with the
rendering, not anything else.

This is not a problem with the "new style" fonts stuff, fontconfig, etc,
as used by xterm, etc, which work very well for me with the recent
versions, much prettier than the older ones, and even somewhat better than
the version of the freetype2 library that I compiled a while ago for
myself. (So well done everyone for getting all that working!) However, I
expect it is related to the seperating out of the freetype stuff from the
X server. I believe the "old style" (server side) fonts rendering stuff
uses hacked up parts of freetype1 and freetype2 for dealing with TTF so
presumably in the seperation process something got broken.

Hope that's useful.

Lev

* Re: TTF-font rendering not working anymore
@ 2003-11-20 18:09   ` Frank-Michael Moser
From: Frank-Michael Moser @ 2003-11-20 18:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

If you need another "me, too", here you are - but sorry, I know that
this is not really helpful.

I'm not experienced with C programming at all, but if someone has a
piece of code or anything else to be tested on my box - you are welcome.

Furthermore I found that I have the following line in my .xinitrc
   xset fp+ "$(cygpath -W)/FONTS"

This has worked for me a long time. Without that line I do not get any
TTF-fonts listed by xfontsel. With that line they are listed but not
displayed any longer. Is using that command deprecated. I remember that
I have used a tool to create the description files "fonts.scale",
"fonts.dir", and "encodings.dir" for that font path. I do not remember
which tool it was. Maybe I have to recreate these files? Any ideas?

If anybody needs further information or testing, let me know.

Frank-Michael.

Harold L Hunt II wrote:

> Kirk,
>
> Somebody needs to give me a three-click test case or I won't even be
> able to confirm that this is indeed a problem.
>
> You do have the "fontconfig" and "freetype2" packages installed on your
> machine, right?
>
> Harold
>
> Kirk Erickson wrote:
>
>> Sorry I didn't report this earlier.  I've been plagued by the
>> TTF font problem reported by Fridger Schrempp and Michael Bax
>> and Fridger Schrempp.
>>
>> Perhaps if someone were to review the checkins previous to
>> Michael's reporting the problem (11 Nov 2003), it could be resolved.
>>
>> This is really a showstopper class bug that folks who made
>> recent checkins should be made aware of.

DECODON GmbH                        phone: +49(0)3834 515231
W.-Rathenau-Str. 49a                  fax: +49(0)3834 515239
17489 Greifswald                    email: moser@decodon.com
Germany                               web:   www.decodon.com

* Re: TTF-font rendering not working anymore
@ 2003-11-20 15:28 ` Harold L Hunt II
From: Harold L Hunt II @ 2003-11-20 15:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

@ 2003-11-20  6:56 Kirk Erickson
From: Kirk Erickson @ 2003-11-20  6:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

--
kirk

* Re: TTF-font rendering not working anymore
@ 2003-11-17  3:22 ` Harold L Hunt II
From: Harold L Hunt II @ 2003-11-17  3:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Fridger,

I don't know enough about this to comment.  Thus, no comment.

I don't know what is wrong.  You already know more than me because you
have a test case.  I can't say that I have time to look into this right
now.  If someone else has time, I would appreciate it.

Harold

@ 2003-11-15 20:17 Fridger Schrempp
From: Fridger Schrempp @ 2003-11-15 20:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree