* FW: I've given up on XF86, can' t make my AltGr keys work
@ 2003-11-21 10:02 Henrik Schultz
From: Henrik Schultz @ 2003-11-21 10:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'cygwin-xfree@cygwin.com'

Sorry to say, but I've given up on resolving the problems I'm having with
getting my keyboard under Cygwin/XF86 to work correctly with my Solaris box.

I simply don't have the time to dig down into the intricacies of how
keyboard maps, keysyms, etc. relate, and I seem unable to find problem
descriptions in the FAQ or mailinglist archives that mach my problem, nor is
there a step-by-step list to guide one through a problem solving process.

I'm sure you have a fine product, but I guess I'll just have to dish out
money on a Hummingbird license or whatever... sigh!

- Henrik

Henrik Schultz
Senior Systems Architect
PremiTech A/S, Teknikerbyen 5, DK-2830 Virum
Tel: +45 4595 8500
Mob: +45 2212 2429
Web: http://www.premitech.com/

* Re: FW: I've given up on XF86, can' t make my AltGr keys work
@ 2003-11-21 14:42 ` Alexander Gottwald
From: Alexander Gottwald @ 2003-11-21 14:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'cygwin-xfree@cygwin.com'

Henrik Schultz wrote:

> I simply don't have the time to dig down into the intricacies of how
> keyboard maps, keysyms, etc. relate, and I seem unable to find problem
> descriptions in the FAQ or mailinglist archives that mach my problem, nor is
> there a step-by-step list to guide one through a problem solving process.
>
> I'm sure you have a fine product, but I guess I'll just have to dish out
> money on a Hummingbird license or whatever... sigh!

I'm sorry to hear.

If someone could donate an old sparc or HP-UX machine I'd be willing to
debug the problems with xdmcp, fonts and keyboardlayouts with those machines.

bye
    ago
 http://www.gotti.org           ICQ: 126018723

* Re: FW: I've given up on XF86, can' t make my AltGr keys work
@ 2003-11-21 22:16   ` Benjamin Riefenstahl
From: Benjamin Riefenstahl @ 2003-11-21 22:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree; +Cc: Henrik Schultz

Hi Alexander, Henrik,

Alexander Gottwald <Alexander.Gottwald@s1999.tu-chemnitz.de> writes:
> If someone could donate an old sparc or HP-UX machine I'd be willing
> to debug the problems with xdmcp, fonts and keyboardlayouts with
> those machines.

Wouldn't it be enough to get a temporary SSH account on a Sparc
machine to reproduce this and debug the X server side?  Not that I
have a machine available, but maybe Henrik could arrange something.
Just a thought ...

benny

* Re: FW: I've given up on XF86, can' t make my AltGr keys work
@ 2003-11-23 23:09     ` Alexander Gottwald
From: Alexander Gottwald @ 2003-11-23 23:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Benjamin Riefenstahl wrote:

> > If someone could donate an old sparc or HP-UX machine I'd be willing
> > to debug the problems with xdmcp, fonts and keyboardlayouts with
> > those machines.
>
> Wouldn't it be enough to get a temporary SSH account on a Sparc
> machine to reproduce this and debug the X server side?

For the testing I need a machine where I have full (root) access. Maybe the
yearly "our-university-sells-old-hardware-auction" has some HP-UX boxes.

Anyway, such a sparc or HP-UX would be a nice donation *g*

@ 2003-11-24  8:18       ` Hans Dekker
From: Hans Dekker @ 2003-11-24  8:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

FYI: Problems with xdmcp and AltGr keys also arise on Linux boxes I
noticed. Solaris and HP-UX are not the only ones.

Regards, Hans.

@ 2003-11-24 13:35         ` Alexander Gottwald
From: Alexander Gottwald @ 2003-11-24 13:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

On Mon, 24 Nov 2003, Hans Dekker wrote:

> FYI: Problems with xdmcp and AltGr keys also arise on Linux boxes I
> noticed. Solaris and HP-UX are not the only ones.

I've never noticed such problems with linux boxes. Maybe a configuration
where the xdmcp server calls xmodmap and resets the layout will lead
to these problems with linux too.

bye
	ago
--

@ 2003-11-22 11:29 ` Alexander Gottwald
From: Alexander Gottwald @ 2003-11-22 11:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

On Fri, 21 Nov 2003, Cary Jamison wrote:

> I wonder if this could be reproduced with Solaris-86?  I believe it is
> still freely downloadable.  Do you have an extra PC you could install it
> on?

No. The Pentium 90 I recently bought (5 EUR *g*) was not sufficient for
Solaris-x86. And working with Solaris-x86 in VmWare is a pain.

bye
	ago
--

@ 2003-11-21 21:13 Cary Jamison
From: Cary Jamison @ 2003-11-21 21:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

"Alexander Gottwald" <Alexander.Gottwald@s1999.tu-chemnitz.de> wrote in
message news:<Pine.LNX.4.55.0311211530530.10827@lupus.ago.vpn>...
> Henrik Schultz wrote:
>
> > I simply don't have the time to dig down into the intricacies of how
> > keyboard maps, keysyms, etc. relate, and I seem unable to find
problem
> > descriptions in the FAQ or mailinglist archives that mach my
problem, nor is
> > there a step-by-step list to guide one through a problem solving
process.

> > I'm sure you have a fine product, but I guess I'll just have to dish
out
> > money on a Hummingbird license or whatever... sigh!
>
> I'm sorry to hear.
>
> If someone could donate an old sparc or HP-UX machine I'd be willing
> debug the problems with xdmcp, fonts and keyboardlayouts with those
machines.

> bye
>     ago

I wonder if this could be reproduced with Solaris-86?  I believe it is
still freely downloadable.  Do you have an extra PC you could install it
on?

(Or were you just hoping someone would give you a sparc? :-)

Cary