* Sound Support Cygwin/X
@ 2004-02-17 11:01 Gerhard Zweimüller
From: Gerhard Zweimüller @ 2004-02-17 11:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Hi all,

I am sorry, if the question is off-topic. I've checked
all related FAQs and archives but could not find a
solution to my problem:

I am using a Linux box and connect to it my Windows XP
notebook as X-Server running Cygwin/X. I connect with
XDMCP and it all works fine. After login when KDE is
starting up I see a message that the /dev/dsp device
could not be initialised.

Is it true, that Cygwin/X does not support sound
"forwarding"?
Are there any other solutions?

My goal is to to run a SIP Phone on the Linux box and
use my Windows box for display/mic/speakers.

Thanks and best regards,
Gerhard

http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html

* Re: Sound Support Cygwin/X
@ 2004-02-17 18:06 ` Loren H. Burlingame
From: Loren H. Burlingame @ 2004-02-17 18:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Gerhard Zweimüller wrote:
> I am using a Linux box and connect to it my Windows XP
> notebook as X-Server running Cygwin/X. I connect with
> XDMCP and it all works fine. After login when KDE is
> starting up I see a message that the /dev/dsp device
> could not be initialised.

Firstly, I think that this is a permissions problem.
Take a look at /dev/dsp and make sure that the user you log in as has
permissions to write to this device. This is usually done by adding the
user to the "audio" group or something similar

> Is it true, that Cygwin/X does not support sound
> "forwarding"?
> Are there any other solutions?

I have not gotten XDMCP working properly (you are further along than I
am) but I am fairly sure that if you can get esound or arts to "forward"
the sound you can figure out some way to get it through the XDMCP session.

LB

* Re: Sound Support Cygwin/X
@ 2004-02-17 18:07   ` Alexander Gottwald
From: Alexander Gottwald @ 2004-02-17 18:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

On Tue, 17 Feb 2004, Loren H. Burlingame wrote:

> Gerhard Zweimüller wrote:
> > I am using a Linux box and connect to it my Windows XP
> > notebook as X-Server running Cygwin/X. I connect with
> > XDMCP and it all works fine. After login when KDE is
> > starting up I see a message that the /dev/dsp device
> > could not be initialised.
>
> Firstly, I think that this is a permissions problem.
> Take a look at /dev/dsp and make sure that the user you log in as has
> permissions to write to this device. This is usually done by adding the
> user to the "audio" group or something similar
>

> > Is it true, that Cygwin/X does not support sound
> > "forwarding"?
> > Are there any other solutions?
> >

> I have not gotten XDMCP working properly (you are further along than I
> am) but I am fairly sure that if you can get esound or arts to "forward"
> the sound you can figure out some way to get it through the XDMCP session.

With some magic you can configure esound to connect to the same machine
as the xserver.

The hostname is available from the DISPLAY variable. After stripping the
trailing ":0.0" you can set the the variable for esound (I'm not sure
how it is called, i think ESD_SPEAKER or similar) to the hostname.

But I'm not sure if esound is available on windows. For availibility of
arts you may ask the people from the kde-cygwin@kde.org list.

bye
	ago
--
 Alexander.Gottwald@s1999.tu-chemnitz.de
 http://www.gotti.org           ICQ: 126018723

* RE: Sound Support Cygwin/X
@ 2004-02-18 17:17 Fries, David D
From: Fries, David D @ 2004-02-18 17:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

> From: Gerhard "Zweimüller" <zweimue@yahoo.com>
>
> My goal is to to run a SIP Phone on the Linux box and
> use my Windows box for display/mic/speakers.
>
> Thanks and best regards,
> Gerhard

I've tried internet phones in the past and the biggest
complaint I had was the delay.  I can't imagine that
adding yet another hop over the network would provide
acceptable audio even if you get it to work.  It would
work fine to have the X GUI display on windows if you
plug your mic and headphones into the Linux sound card,
but I would question if it is worth looking into
moving audio around with such a time critical
application as phones.

What software are you using on Linux?  I assume it is
software only and doesn't use any hardware (other than
a standard sound card).  I've used gnomemeeting and
was curious if there was something better out there.

David Fries
The Boeing Company
Training Systems & Services
314-234-1440