* Re: X compression techniques (was Re: VNC server based on kdrive using damage extension?)
       [not found]         ` <40338C1B.9070104@nomachine.com>
@ 2004-02-18 18:00           ` Alexander Gottwald
From: Alexander Gottwald @ 2004-02-18 18:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gian Filippo Pinzari; +Cc: cygwin-xfree

On Wed, 18 Feb 2004, Gian Filippo Pinzari wrote:

> Alexander Gottwald wrote:
> >
> >>For example we modified the Xwin X server to not rely on
> >>Xlib for rootless operation. The code is there, if anybody
> >>is interested.
> >

> > you mean the Cygwin/X server? These changes are surly interesting to
> > us.
>
> http://www.nomachine.com/download/nxsources/nxwin/nxwin-1.3.0-1.tar.gz
>
> Let me know if you need any info. The code is under the
> GPL now, but we can re-license it under the X11 license.
> Just let me know.

I'm looking at the diff now.

Wow, there have been a lot of changes in cvs since you took the snapshot.
The diff is quite big *g*

Looks like the required functions from libX11 were directly included?

bye
	ago
--
 Alexander.Gottwald@s1999.tu-chemnitz.de
 http://www.gotti.org           ICQ: 126018723

* Re: X compression techniques (was Re: VNC server based on kdrive using damage extension?)
@ 2004-02-18 19:38             ` Gian Filippo Pinzari
From: Gian Filippo Pinzari @ 2004-02-18 19:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexander Gottwald; +Cc: cygwin-xfree

Alexander Gottwald wrote:
> I'm looking at the diff now.
>
> Wow, there have been a lot of changes in cvs since you took the snapshot.
> The diff is quite big *g*

I think it's better you run the diff in respect to
the original XFree86 4.3.0 version.

> Looks like the required functions from libX11 were directly included?

It's a hack and I wouldn't consider it a long-term
solution. Anyway it permits us to ship the X server
without the Xlibs and their dependencies.

There should be also a similar hack to handle the
clipboard in a way that it doesn't loose the select-
ion. I've seen a similar solution in recent versions
of cygwin-xfree.

/Gian Filippo.

* Re: X compression techniques (was Re: VNC server based on kdrive using damage extension?)
@ 2004-02-18 21:55               ` Alexander Gottwald
From: Alexander Gottwald @ 2004-02-18 21:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gian Filippo Pinzari; +Cc: cygwin-xfree

On Wed, 18 Feb 2004, Gian Filippo Pinzari wrote:

> Alexander Gottwald wrote:
> > I'm looking at the diff now.
> >
> > Wow, there have been a lot of changes in cvs since you took the snapshot.
> > The diff is quite big *g*
>
> I think it's better you run the diff in respect to
> the original XFree86 4.3.0 version.
>
> > Looks like the required functions from libX11 were directly included?
>
> It's a hack and I wouldn't consider it a long-term
> solution. Anyway it permits us to ship the X server
> without the Xlibs and their dependencies.

wouldn't it be better to link with a static version of libX11?
Anyway, the solution with including the libX11 code into the
tree has already been discussed and we decided not to use it.
This only introduces new places where bugs can hide.

> There should be also a similar hack to handle the
> clipboard in a way that it doesn't loose the select-
> ion. I've seen a similar solution in recent versions
> of cygwin-xfree.

thats why I asked.

bye
	ago