* Cygwin Openbox queries
@ 2004-03-02  0:49 Jophrey Lim
From: Jophrey Lim @ 2004-03-02  0:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii, Size: 900 bytes --]

Hi,

I am having trouble with the Cygwin.

 I had downloaded and installed the complete suite fo the Cygwin
 including all the modules for the X Window System.

 I am trying to start the X server with Cygwin/X running in Rootless mode
 with the /openbox/ window manager running locally (one of the screenshots).

 However, I have no idea on how to do it. I tried running "openbox" but I
 got this error saying Connection to X server failed. I had checked the
 online user guide and searched the internet for any guide but failed.

 Do you have any script on how to start the X server with openbox window
 manager? Any website that I can refer to?

 Thank you so much in advance for your help. I really appreciate your help.

 Regards,
Jophrey

http://antispam.yahoo.com/tools

* Cygwin/xFree from 2 users
@ 2004-03-02  4:47 ` Jim Scheef
From: Jim Scheef @ 2004-03-02  4:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii, Size: 1379 bytes --]

Hello.

I use a notebook computer so I can carry my computing environment around.
This is WinXP and current versions of Cygwin and xFree as of a few weeks ago.

I have several user 'accounts' that belong to various domains. Most of these
accounts are 'js', as in js@machinename, js@domain1.com, js@domain2.org, etc.
I want all of these to use the same Cygwin home directory.

Cygwin and X were installed from js@domain1.com. When I'm not connected to a
network, I use js@machinename. Cygwin seems to work with both user accounts
but X will not start from js@machinename. The attached xwin.log came from
running xinit. Trying to start kde gives an error that there is no write
access to .ICEauthority. I believe the X problem is related to permissions
within /home/js.

I have tried to set up permissions for both user accounts on /home/js but I
can't seem to make them stick.

What permissions are needed? What file permissions are critical, which mearly
convenient? Does the setup process replace the permissions on the user's home
directory? How can Cygwin and X be configured for multiple users on a
machine? and the big question - how can I configure Cygwin and X so that I
can use the same /home/js directory from multiple 'js' accounts?

Jim

http://search.yahoo.com

[-- Attachment #2: XWin.log --]

ddxProcessArgument - Initializing default screens
winInitializeDefaultScreens - w 1024 h 768
winInitializeDefaultScreens - Returning
OsVendorInit - Creating bogus screen 0
_XSERVTransmkdir: Owner of /tmp/.X11-unix should be set to root
_XSERVTransSocketUNIXCreateListener: ...SocketCreateListener() failed
_XSERVTransMakeAllCOTSServerListeners: server already running

Fatal server error:
Cannot establish any listening sockets - Make sure an X server isn't already running
winDeinitMultiWindowWM - Noting shutdown in progress

* Re: Cygwin/xFree from 2 users
@ 2004-03-02  8:17   ` Alexander Gottwald
From: Alexander Gottwald @ 2004-03-02  8:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

On Mon, 1 Mar 2004, Jim Scheef wrote:

> Hello.
>
> I use a notebook computer so I can carry my computing environment around.
> This is WinXP and current versions of Cygwin and xFree as of a few weeks ago.
>
> I have several user 'accounts' that belong to various domains. Most of these
> accounts are 'js', as in js@machinename, js@domain1.com, js@domain2.org, etc.
> I want all of these to use the same Cygwin home directory.
>
> Cygwin and X were installed from js@domain1.com. When I'm not connected to a
> network, I use js@machinename. Cygwin seems to work with both user accounts
> but X will not start from js@machinename. The attached xwin.log came from
> running xinit. Trying to start kde gives an error that there is no write
> access to .ICEauthority. I believe the X problem is related to permissions
> within /home/js.
>
> I have tried to set up permissions for both user accounts on /home/js but I
> can't seem to make them stick.
>
> What permissions are needed? What file permissions are critical, which mearly
> convenient? Does the setup process replace the permissions on the user's home
> directory? How can Cygwin and X be configured for multiple users on a
> machine? and the big question - how can I configure Cygwin and X so that I
> can use the same /home/js directory from multiple 'js' accounts?

You can not start two xservers with the same display number (which is in fact the
TCP/IP port used). Start the second with an additional parameter ":1". eg XWin :1
or xinit -- :1

bye
	ago
--
 Alexander.Gottwald@s1999.tu-chemnitz.de
 http://www.gotti.org           ICQ: 126018723

* Re: Cygwin Openbox queries
@ 2004-03-02 18:44 ` Brian Ford
From: Brian Ford @ 2004-03-02 18:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

On Mon, 1 Mar 2004, Jophrey Lim wrote:

>  I am trying to start the X server with Cygwin/X running in Rootless mode
>  with the /openbox/ window manager running locally (one of the screenshots).

Please show us the exact command you used to do this.

>  However, I have no idea on how to do it. I tried running "openbox" but I
>  got this error saying Connection to X server failed. I had checked the
>  online user guide and searched the internet for any guide but failed.

What does echo $DISPLAY say?

>  Do you have any script on how to start the X server with openbox window
>  manager? Any website that I can refer to?

/usr/X11R6/bin/Xwin.exe :0 -rootless&
/usr/X11R6/bin/openbox -display :0

WFM.

--
Brian Ford
Senior Realtime Software Engineer

* Re: Cygwin/xFree from 2 users
@ 2004-03-04 23:28     ` Jim Scheef
From: Jim Scheef @ 2004-03-04 23:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii, Size: 2498 bytes --]

Alexander and all,

I guess I wasn't clear. I'm sitting at my notebook looking at the XP login
screen. If I log in using js@domainname, Xwin works fine, but fails to start
when I log on using js@machinename. The machine and the Cygwin/Xfree
installation are one and the same in both cases. I use the same username (js)
in both cases for convenience and I was hoping that this would make it easy
to use the same Cygwin home directory (/home/js) for both logins. How can I
make this work?

Jim

@ 2004-03-04 23:36       ` Harold L Hunt II
From: Harold L Hunt II @ 2004-03-04 23:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Jim Scheef wrote:
> Alexander and all,
>
> I guess I wasn't clear. I'm sitting at my notebook looking at the XP login
> screen. If I log in using js@domainname, Xwin works fine, but fails to start
> when I log on using js@machinename. The machine and the Cygwin/Xfree
> installation are one and the same in both cases. I use the same username (js)
> in both cases for convenience and I was hoping that this would make it easy
> to use the same Cygwin home directory (/home/js) for both logins. How can I
> make this work?

Jim,

Are you doing the "fast user switching" where both users are logged in
at the same time?  Or, can only one of your "js" users be logged in at a
time and you are experiencing the failure at that time?

The home directory question is generic to Cygwin, not related to
Cygwin/X at all.  I'll give you a start though: you need to edit
Cygwin's /etc/passwd and change the home directory for the two different
users (user id names do not identify a user to Windows; instead, the SID
identifies the user, you should see two 'js' users listed in passwd).
You might also need to check the permissions on /home/js before doing
this to ensure that both users will be able to write to it.  Again, that
is a generic Cygwin/Windows question that should be looked into
elsewhere if you need more help.

Harold

* Re: Cygwin/xFree from 2 users
@ 2004-03-05 22:52       ` Alexander Gottwald
From: Alexander Gottwald @ 2004-03-05 22:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

On Thu, 4 Mar 2004, Jim Scheef wrote:

> Alexander and all,
>
> I guess I wasn't clear. I'm sitting at my notebook looking at the XP login
> screen. If I log in using js@domainname, Xwin works fine, but fails to start
> when I log on using js@machinename. The machine and the Cygwin/Xfree
> installation are one and the same in both cases. I use the same username (js)
> in both cases for convenience and I was hoping that this would make it easy
> to use the same Cygwin home directory (/home/js) for both logins. How can I
> make this work?

There may be problems with access restrictions in some directories.

does /tmp/Xwin.log print some errors?

bye
	ago