From: Daniel Bienstock <dano@columbia.edu>
To: cygwin-xfree@cygwin.com
Subject: X on win 7
Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2011 15:32:00 -0000	[thread overview]

Hello,

I have a new Dell Dimension M6600 with Windows 7 SP 1.  I have disabled
the Windows firewall and added rules to allow programs in cygwin and
cygwin\bin to run.

I am using cygwin 1.7.9  (I also use older cygwins on many 32-bit Windows
machines).

On this machine, X runs badly: often very slowly, and frequently with
crashes as well.  A couple of times I was forced to reboot the machine --
Windows appeared unresponsive.

I did try rebaseall, but did not help (in fact had to reinstall cygwin).

I have seen some posts on this topic, but no definitive workaround.

Any help welcome.

Daniel Bienstock