* [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: packages rebuilt for libpng16, tiff-4
@ 2015-02-09  3:00 Yaakov Selkowitz
From: Yaakov Selkowitz @ 2015-02-09  3:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

The following packages have been updated for libpng16 and/or tiff-4:

* cairo-1.12.18-2
* djvulibre-3.5.25.3-2
* fontconfig-2.11.1-2
* graphviz-2.38.0-3
* imlib-1.9.15-15
* imlib2-1.4.6-1
* libwebp-0.4.2-1
* motif-2.3.4-3
* netpbm-10.66.02-2
* openjpeg-1.5.2-2
* perl-Tk-804.031-1
* poppler-0.26.5-2
* qrencode-3.4.4-1
* qt3-3.3.8b-15
* qt4-4.8.6-4
* qt5-base-5.3.2-3
* sox-14.4.1-1
* tumbler-0.1.30-2
* webkitgtk-2.0.4-2
* xcursorgen-1.0.6-2

--
Yaakov

* Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: packages rebuilt for libpng16, tiff-4
@ 2015-02-11 23:12 ` Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2015-02-11 23:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

On 2/8/2015 9:56 PM, Yaakov Selkowitz wrote:
> * fontconfig-2.11.1-2

I see that you decided not to restore the TeX Live font directories to
/etc/fonts/fonts.conf.  If that's your actual decision, and not just an
oversight, then I guess one of the TeX Live packages should add a
suitable file to /usr/share/fontconfig/conf.avail, with a link to it in
/etc/fonts/conf.d.  Or I could just add the file directly to
/etc/fonts/conf.d and skip the symlink, whichever you prefer.  The
contents would be

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!DOCTYPE fontconfig SYSTEM "fonts.dtd">
<fontconfig>
   <dir>/usr/share/texmf-dist/fonts/opentype</dir>
   <dir>/usr/share/texmf-dist/fonts/truetype</dir>
   <dir>/usr/share/texmf-dist/fonts/type1</dir>
</fontconfig>

and I would call it 09-texlive.conf, as suggested in the TeX Live manual.

Is this how you want me to handle it?

Ken

* Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: packages rebuilt for libpng16, tiff-4
@ 2015-02-12  0:39   ` Yaakov Selkowitz
From: Yaakov Selkowitz @ 2015-02-12  0:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

On Wed, 2015-02-11 at 18:12 -0500, Ken Brown wrote:
> On 2/8/2015 9:56 PM, Yaakov Selkowitz wrote:
> > * fontconfig-2.11.1-2
>
> I see that you decided not to restore the TeX Live font directories to
> /etc/fonts/fonts.conf.  If that's your actual decision, and not just an
> oversight,

It was an oversight; thanks for the reminder.  As for a decision:

AFAICS these fonts aren't intended for general usage (e.g. within X), so
I've tried to understand how fontconfig should be used within TeX Live.
In Fedora, for instance, the texlive font directories are not in
fonts.conf:

http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/cgit/fontconfig.git/tree/fontconfig.spec#n66

and the texlive package doesn't include any references to conf.d or
conf.avail:

http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/cgit/texlive.git/tree/texlive.spec

However, Arch Linux's documentation actually addresses this clearly:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/TeX_Live#Fonts

and suggests a solution similar to yours by providing the file in
conf.avail without automatically creating the symlink.

The TeX Live manual further suggests that such a file may already
included in xetex:

https://www.tug.org/texlive/doc/texlive-en/texlive-en.html#x1-350003.4.4

But I don't see such a file on my system, nor is it mentioned in
Fedora's texlive.spec.  Besides the location, though, the solution is
the same.

>  then I guess one of the TeX Live packages should add a
> suitable file to /usr/share/fontconfig/conf.avail, with a link to it in
> /etc/fonts/conf.d.  Or I could just add the file directly to
> /etc/fonts/conf.d and skip the symlink, whichever you prefer.  The
> contents would be
>
> <?xml version="1.0"?>
> <!DOCTYPE fontconfig SYSTEM "fonts.dtd">
> <fontconfig>
>    <dir>/usr/share/texmf-dist/fonts/opentype</dir>
>    <dir>/usr/share/texmf-dist/fonts/truetype</dir>
>    <dir>/usr/share/texmf-dist/fonts/type1</dir>
> </fontconfig>
>
> and I would call it 09-texlive.conf, as suggested in the TeX Live manual.
>
> Is this how you want me to handle it?

Based on the above, and various mailing list discussions on the topic, I
think we should provide that file but NOT the symlink, and document this
in an appropriate place.

--

@ 2015-02-12  4:06     ` Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2015-02-12  4:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

On 2/11/2015 7:39 PM, Yaakov Selkowitz wrote:
> On Wed, 2015-02-11 at 18:12 -0500, Ken Brown wrote:
>> On 2/8/2015 9:56 PM, Yaakov Selkowitz wrote:
>>> * fontconfig-2.11.1-2
>>
>> I see that you decided not to restore the TeX Live font directories to
>> /etc/fonts/fonts.conf.  If that's your actual decision, and not just an
>> oversight,
>
> It was an oversight; thanks for the reminder.  As for a decision:
>
> AFAICS these fonts aren't intended for general usage (e.g. within X), so
> I've tried to understand how fontconfig should be used within TeX Live.
> In Fedora, for instance, the texlive font directories are not in
> fonts.conf:
>
> http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/cgit/fontconfig.git/tree/fontconfig.spec#n66
>
> and the texlive package doesn't include any references to conf.d or
> conf.avail:
>
> http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/cgit/texlive.git/tree/texlive.spec
>
> However, Arch Linux's documentation actually addresses this clearly:
>
> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/TeX_Live#Fonts
>
> and suggests a solution similar to yours by providing the file in
> conf.avail without automatically creating the symlink.
>
> The TeX Live manual further suggests that such a file may already
> included in xetex:
>
> https://www.tug.org/texlive/doc/texlive-en/texlive-en.html#x1-350003.4.4
>
> But I don't see such a file on my system, nor is it mentioned in
> Fedora's texlive.spec.  Besides the location, though, the solution is
> the same.
>
>>   then I guess one of the TeX Live packages should add a
>> suitable file to /usr/share/fontconfig/conf.avail, with a link to it in
>> /etc/fonts/conf.d.  Or I could just add the file directly to
>> /etc/fonts/conf.d and skip the symlink, whichever you prefer.  The
>> contents would be
>>
>> <?xml version="1.0"?>
>> <!DOCTYPE fontconfig SYSTEM "fonts.dtd">
>> <fontconfig>
>>     <dir>/usr/share/texmf-dist/fonts/opentype</dir>
>>     <dir>/usr/share/texmf-dist/fonts/truetype</dir>
>>     <dir>/usr/share/texmf-dist/fonts/type1</dir>
>> </fontconfig>
>>
>> and I would call it 09-texlive.conf, as suggested in the TeX Live manual.
>>
>> Is this how you want me to handle it?
>
> Based on the above, and various mailing list discussions on the topic, I
> think we should provide that file but NOT the symlink, and document this
> in an appropriate place.

That sounds reasonable.  I think I'll provide the file in
texlive-collection-basic, and I'll put the documentation in a suitable README
file and in the release announcement.

Ken