From: David Mathog <mathog@caltech.edu>
To: cygwin-xfree@cygwin.com
Subject: Re: Spurious pastes
Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2018 17:37:00 -0000	[thread overview]

On 07-Feb-2018 06:26, Jon Turney wrote:
> On 02/02/2018 22:26, David Mathog wrote:
>> In the last few days nedit on those remote machines has been doing
>> spurious pastes. That is, whatever is currently in the X11 paste
>> buffer (not the program's paste buffer) is ending up dropped into
>> whatever file is being edited. Unclear why they are landing where they
>> do, I have not actually seen it happen, just found it when diff
>> indicated these odd insertions. My best guess is that these happen
>> while I am scrolling over these regions. Needless to say, this is
>> really not a good thing.
>>
>> There have been only two changes recently.
>>
>> 1. I cleaned my mouse. 2. yum on 1/27/18 automatically installed on
>> those servers: xorg-x11-server-common-1.17.4-16.el6.centos.1.x86_64
>>
>> To eliminate (1) the mouse was swapped with another one. Too soon to
>>  know if that did anything.
>
> I wonder if you aren't somehow accidentally clicking the middle mouse
> button whilst scrolling?

That seems to be what caused it.  Those errant pastes have not happened
again with the 2nd mouse.  My best guess is that somehow putting the
mouse back together decreased the "click distance" on the scroll wheel,
so that now and then in the middle of a scroll motion there was also a
click.  I would never see it when it happened because the scroll actions
on either side of the click would move it off the screen.

>> On 02-Feb-2018 13:13, David Mathog wrote:
>>> I seem to recall that before this if I highlighted a region in an
>>> xterm window, then moved to another X11 application window, and
>>> center
>>> clicked, it would paste the highlighted text.  However, if nothing
>>> was
>>> highlighted in the last window, nothing would paste.  My memory may
>>> be
>>> faulty on this issue though, as I never paid a lot of attention to it
>>> before it started misbehaving.
>>
>> That wasn't right, but cut/paste is slightly different between "on the
>> console" and "over putty ssh tunnel with X11 Server on Windows".
>>
>> On an XFCE4 ubuntu system console this is what happens:
>
> I'm guessing this means a non-X terminal?

That is a regular X11 server, xorg 1.15.1.  It just acts differently in
that it was possible to "select nothing".

>> Is there a standard way to clear this buffer?
>
> I was going to suggest 'xsel -c' or 'xclip -i /dev/null', but that
> doesn't work (in this case) for obscure reasons to do with cut
> buffers...

Too bad.  Sometimes I cut and paste hundreds of lines of text and those
are always a mistaken center click in an xterm away from hundreds of
bogus commands trying to run.

If you have any control of this issue a standard key stroke combination
to clear would be wonderful.  Failing that, control-shift-center click
(or something like that) to paste and then clear would be nearly as
good.

> For future issues, can I ask you to use the cygwin list, per [1]
>
> [1] https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-xfree-announce/2015-03/msg00001.html

I will try to remember that.

Thanks,

David Mathog